PDA

View Full Version : I have a 1200s for a couple of days...

wezrvf
24-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Whilst my now beloved Evo is in for it's 24 month service I have a monster 1200s until Saturday afternoon. Have covered quite a few miles this afternoon and............I think I like it!

When I first got on it i thought, wow, heavy. I actually missed the rumbles and sound from the evo and the exhast guard on the right was sticking in my leg, the rear brake was crap and i just thought it feels like a good well made bike but didn't feel anything like a monster, great, I don't like it :) 100 miles later, it has really really grown on me. It is quite a bit heavier than the Evo and you notice it at lower speeds but it is FAST so has no problems dealing with the extra weight, the front brake is amazing and I have to say I think it handles just as good as the Evo. It felt so planted in the corners, the gear box is so smooth and light and it pulls like a train from really low revs in a low gear.

Does it feel like a monster? Well, I don't know. I have only ridden 2 and owned one so who am I to judge, it doesn't feel like the 1100 for sure, it has last a bot of the charm, rawness and apparent simplicity which i fell in love with on the Evo but it does do other things amazingly well.

So, it's a great bike, goes well, corners well and stops well and it did make me smile like the 1100 too. Would I do a straight swap for one? I think I would. Would I pay £13k for one? I don't think I would. I am just not sure where it sits, it has lost some of the monster charm and it just isnt quite a super naked I am not a Ducati fanatic or a monster purest but I do love the bikes I just think at the £13k mark it's a price point where you could have soo many other bikes that are as good, better and less money.

So overall really impressed with it and can't wait to get on it tomorrow but I think I will wait until they come down in price or 2nd hand ones start popping up before I give it serious thought.

steeevvvooo
24-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Sounds like another convert! Once prices come down I too will be after one :)

wezrvf
24-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Going to spend a bit more time on it tomorrow, I think I will only realise if I like it or not when I get my bike back and ride away, it will either feel like a bag of old spanners or I will realise why I swapped my immaculate, massively perfectly tuned R6 for the Evo in the first place. Fingers crossed for the latter ;)

Dirty
24-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Sounds like another convert! Once prices come down I too will be after one :)

You not enjoying the UKSFOC so much then? :)

Rowly
24-04-2014, 10:16 PM
Aren't they supposed to be like a bag of spanners? I swear that I am aware of every explosion my engine makes. It's the agriculture man.

wendy lea
24-04-2014, 10:29 PM
I've had one out on loan today, as my 696 was in. Have to say I love it. going to get up early tomorrow to make the most of it before it goes back
:woot:

steeevvvooo
25-04-2014, 06:14 AM
You not enjoying the UKSFOC so much then? :)

:) ill let you know when I find it :ukm:

MerlinPV12
25-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Rowly is dead right, its the agriculture. I have to stop myself listening for noises that in any other bike shouldn't or wouldn't be there!

Now that quite a few people are getting out and about on the 1200 including Wezrvf and Dfran8 I'd be interested to hear if it gets the same sort of reaction from Joe Public that mine (and other peoples) EVO's and Monsters in general get when they are out and about. I cant recall a journey I've made on mine that some complete stranger hasn't passed a positive comment - at the cash machine, outside Carluccio's, parked up in Queens Gate etc etc. Does the 1200 attract attention from non bikers in the same way previous monsters have?

Bonzo
25-04-2014, 10:49 AM
In the real world, 100bhp is enough for me on a naked thanks.

And I like air cooled :D

Dfran8
25-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Now that quite a few people are getting out and about on the 1200 including Wezrvf and Dfran8 I'd be interested to hear if it gets the same sort of reaction from Joe Public that mine (and other peoples) EVO's and Monsters in general get when they are out and about. I cant recall a journey I've made on mine that some complete stranger hasn't passed a positive comment - at the cash machine, outside Carluccio's, parked up in Queens Gate etc etc. Does the 1200 attract attention from non bikers in the same way previous monsters have?

I“m not the right person to say how much atention Monsters get, as this one is my first one. I take Monsters have always been very atractive to everyone. Good looking.
This one is sort of the same.
But I come from a Panigale which really got everybody“s eye. More so the Diavel (haters, lovers and non motorbike fans). That was just like having Scarlet Johanson besides you!! Crazy.

I agree with all the comments. The bike is great, with a few flaws, like the rear brake (useless), the right side guard (unconfortable, though you get used to it).
But in general the bike performs beautifuly.
Like previous Monsters? I guess not. This one is more powerful, feels like a bigger bike, more bike.

Feels like a Monster? well, i“ve riden a S4R and that one was utterly different for me than the 696, 796 and 1100evo.
I guess every generation has its diferences, this one is the third so... we have to get use to it.

(sorry for spelling mistakes, i“m still learning! :D)

neilo
26-04-2014, 08:25 PM
In the real world, 100bhp is enough for me on a naked thanks.
And I like air cooled :D

Me too... :drunk:

If I want something to do much longer distances in greater comfort, I'll be looking at a proper tourer or cruiser...

Nev
26-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Whats the final verdict wez.. im not a fan of the image but havent ridden one.

mholc123
18-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Getting mine 6th of June, whilst it's fair to say it's not as pretty as my M900, the engine is stonking - even more maniac than my S4R was, with more torque and better top end - cant wait to pick it up.