PDA

View Full Version : bar end mirror moving at speed fix

smiffyraf1
10-04-2014, 09:34 AM
hi guys recently bought some new bar end mirrors like pictured and they look ace but when at speed the fold back because of the airflow. everything seems solid and good quality but the ball and socket bit of the mirror doesnt seem tight enough to hold the mirror has anyone got any experience of these and know a fix?

http://www.metropolismotorcycles.com/images/lightbox/05%20bar%20end%20mirror%20black.jpg

Dookbob
10-04-2014, 10:52 AM
I,m not familiar with this mirror but I have had the same problem with others. I have usually resorted to removing the mirror from it,s bracket and with a dab of solvent on a rag, wipe the surface of the part of the ball that is accessible, wiggle it around so you can clean as much of the ball as you can get at, and hopefully by removing any lubrication that might have been on it the problem could improve somewhat. I have even tried to roughen up the surface of the ball with a bit of emery to create a bit of friction which did improve things. Quite a neat looking mirror though, apart from the problem you are having.

Dirty
10-04-2014, 01:33 PM
I have same mirror and same problem, although to be fair they were dirt cheap and it's only recently started happening on one of the mirrors mainly, though the other is catching up. I think they probably moved about a bit from new once you get over 80/90 but as 1, that would be illegal and 2, on a totally unfaired bike 80+ starts getting ridiculously windy I wasn't too concerned. :)

I fixed my problem by a generous donation of a new set by top man M40uke :mand:

smiffyraf1
10-04-2014, 01:52 PM
thats when mine start going a bit wayward but obviously test only conducted in a wind tunnel to simulate said speed

Dirty
10-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Actually mine were awful on the tunnel run tonight. Bumpy London roads meant with 200 yards of adjusting them they were back in Droopy dog mode!

smiffyraf1
11-04-2014, 07:12 AM
Well ive dropped some superglue into the ball hopefully that works if not they will have to go

wezrvf
11-04-2014, 08:33 AM
let me know if that works as i have noticed this. But only at high speeds, which again i only do on my own private runway and certainly not the M60.

perkles
11-04-2014, 08:44 AM
ive got these mirrors and they dont move at all at high speed

simonb
12-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Success with the super glue?

smiffyraf1
13-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Yup can report was out all day on it yesterday and did not move. Were great. Put them im the position you want take them off then put superclue around the ball. Left overnight and refitted one needed a bit of adjustment but moving the arm on the bar rather than the mirror bought it in.

Flip
13-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Perhaps a better 'solution' to super glue would be to clean out any lubrication with a suitable solvent and then a dab of clear Silicone (RTV) on the ball then rotate it to work the silicone inside, remove any excess before adjusting to the desired position and leaving it to cure.

It's weather and vibration proof unlike superglue and if you do knock it a bit it will give a little rather than 'cracking' like hardened superglue will.

If at any time you need to remove the silicone from the socket you can give it a squirt of 'silicone eater foam' and it will be clean again rather than leave little sharp bits of hard superglue inside.

wezrvf
14-04-2014, 12:54 PM
great tip flip.

I am on it !!!

smiffyraf1
14-04-2014, 01:24 PM
theres no way of getting to the other side of the ball in mine. is a really close fit and would not take silicone. super glue was runny enough to get past i think even if it 'cracks' it will have made it rough enough to not flap back in the airflow