PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil warm up time.

Drumnagorrach
05-04-2014, 09:31 PM
My M900 ie takes about 10 miles before the low temp warning stops flashing and 50 deg appears,thats at 12 deg C ambient ( today ),when it's colder (last week )3-4deg C it took 15 ml.
Have other M900 owners experienced the same slow warm up ? Has anyone tried a cover on the oil cooler,I remember a technical write up once suggesting ,that oil coolers without thermostats actually caused more harm than good by not allowing the oil to get to running temp and evaporating the harmful moisture out .

Dukedesmo
05-04-2014, 09:47 PM
I have an aftermarket instrument panel on my 900 that has a temp gauge fitted to the oil.

It doesn't read anything below 45 degrees and takes a good 5-6 miles to get a reading and 10 or more to get up to running temps.

Dirty
05-04-2014, 10:11 PM
My M900 ie takes about 10 miles before the low temp warning stops flashing and 50 deg appears,thats at 12 deg C ambient ( today ),when it's colder (last week )3-4deg C it took 15 ml.
Have other M900 owners experienced the same slow warm up ? Has anyone tried a cover on the oil cooler,I remember a technical write up once suggesting ,that oil coolers without thermostats actually caused more harm than good by not allowing the oil to get to running temp and evaporating the harmful moisture out .

Have you compared how long it takes without riding it? Could even do a tickover warm up then compare a 3k warm up.

slob
06-04-2014, 06:46 AM
My 1000s are similar, my 620 has no oil cooler and it doesn't make a great deal of difference.

Mr Gazza
06-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Vincent owners used to reckon that thier bikes would take a good ten miles to warm up.

I've always been happy that mine are warm at the end of the mile and a half lane. 40mph tops and a lot less, being careful on the blind bends and avioding the cowsh and pot holes.

Have often thought that a thermostat would be a good idea on the Monster though.

Have also wondered if there should be a non return valve to the oil cooler too, as the oil level slowly rises after the engine stops?