PDA

View Full Version : Leathers ??

jonno_c
04-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Soon to be biking on a Monster 900 and have seen some cheap Scott leathers (2 piece) for sale so was thinking of buying them.

What does everyone ride with on here? I know leathers are best, but any other ideas are most welcome.

Wildfire
04-04-2014, 02:14 PM
I currently use a Dainese Avro 2 piece for the days out, a Avro Professional 1 piece for the track.

When I'm hacking around, I have an old A* Leather jacket and pair of Scott trousers or Kevlar Jeans.

If you're going to be biking in all weathers some Goretex textiles are a must.

Personally I prefer 2 piece leathers for most days. Do check whether it's a 2 piece suit or leathers that zip together. A 2 piece suit has less pockets than a jacket and trousers that zip together.

jonno_c
04-04-2014, 06:58 PM
I think they're the way forward huh?!
Just need to get measured up to see if they will fit well.

Pedro
04-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Ducati Dianese Retro jacket and Dianese leather jeans for days out, Kevlar lined de in jeans for quick spins. Always wear boots though

Ped

Dirty
04-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Track day suit

http://s15.postimg.org/qtx2y5623/MT904_x.jpg

Wet weather riding

http://photos.imageevent.com/motorbiker/newspics4/Naked-Motorcycle-Rider-With-Borat-Mankini.jpg

Day to day riding, like any proper gentleman

http://s7.postimg.org/hd5unqu0b/004.jpg

utopia
05-04-2014, 01:14 AM
I use my bikes for more than just biking things and my attitude to gear might be somewhat unusual anyway, but I don't like walking round in full bike kit once I've arrived, so I use.....

A pair of Hein Gericke western jeans...cut pretty much like a pair of levis but in decent, albeit not the thickest leather, with safe-stitch seams and no armour whatsoever. I can wear these comfortably in almost any situation and for days on end, if necessary.
If it might rain or get cold, my jacket is a leather/textile mix with full armour, a Gore-Tex lining, zip vents and lots of pockets, also by HG and which zips to the jeans. Its quite close fitting (so the armour doesn't move around and it doesn't flap in the wind), with width adjusters on the arms and waist and has a belt....think its called a "Spader".
Boots are fairly basic, but decent quality, Gore-Tex lined and in a short, touring rather than sporty style, and which go under the leathers. I can walk around all day in these, though the Gore-Tex does make them a bit warm in summer.
This is my basic kit, and I pack a matching pair of leather/textile, Gore-Tex lined trousers which zip to the jacket and go over the jeans, if the weather looks iffy or the return journey might be late/cold.
On a hot summer day or for shorter runs, I replace the jacket with a lightweight, vented leather jacket with soft armour, again by HG so zip-compatible....bought from ebay for £12.
On a trackday or just "one of those days", I replace the lightweight jacket with a better quality item in thicker leather and with better armour, again by the same manufacturer so the zips match, and again an ebay bargain at £12.50.
This latter jacket also has a matching bottom half, with full armour and kneeslider velcro, but I've never bothered with those.....cost me a tenner off ebay.

The two points being....
1) A good, basic, versatile kit which will see a lot of use is worth paying proper money for.....but think carefully before buying.
2) This can be extended quite cheaply to cover other situations.

and 3) Sticking with the same manufacturer means that you can mix and match.

....nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt0Y39eMvpI

Rowly
05-04-2014, 08:01 AM
I've used leather in the past but recently went with the Halvarssons safety jacket. What I really like about this is that the safety bit is like a wooly jumper that you put different outers over. My winter one is the nylon or whatever, waterproof with dayglo sleeves/shoulders (cyklop) and in summer a complete mesh outer (Halogen mesh?). This breeze whistles through the under/mesh outer combo.

perkles
05-04-2014, 11:02 AM
2 piece Richa leathers for me but I will buy a one piece for the track

Wasta
06-04-2014, 03:58 AM
Just jeans, boots and a jacket for me.

I do wear leather when I'm on the R1.

jonno_c
07-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Measured up and those leathers were too big (I'm a 40/42 chest).

Waist of around 34/36 so if anyone is upgrading and wants rid of a 2 piece suit do let me know ; )

I'm not going to have the budget for a brand new one tbh.

jonzi
07-04-2014, 06:28 PM
This (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/E-B-C-Leathers-Motorcycle-Clothing) guy usually has a stock of cheap ones

And you used to be able to buy, try on, and if not right then send back.

gary tompkins
07-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Recently bought an RST slice two piece set of track day leathers from J&S

Prior to that I bought a IXS touring two piece - again from J&S which I still wear

turbohobbit
08-04-2014, 12:54 PM
I've got a real mixed bag. I use a Spidi Venture touring textile jacket and textile trousers if it's cold and / or wet. I've got a Spidi Symbol leather jacket and Hood armoured jeans for when it's milder and not raining, and a Spada mesh jacket for when it's baking hot. The Venture comes with a thermal inner and a waterproof inner, and the Symbol comes with a thermal inner too so it's all very mix-and-match. For boots I've got some A* Hydro Sport Drystars.

Wasta
09-04-2014, 04:06 AM
Funnily enough my wife was moaning about the space my kit takes up in the house.
I have two two piece leathers, one one piece suit, a textile suit, textile/winter trousers, three textile jackets, two leather jackets, four lids, three pairs of boots, numerous gloves etc etc.

I think a clean out is in order when I get home.

Wildfire
09-04-2014, 05:42 AM
As Utoia says can't beat the HG GoreTex kit. I've done about 12000 in mine and it's never let water in.

Pity they closed down.

My next textile kit will be Rukka, if I need it/can afford it!

jonno_c
12-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Funnily enough my wife was moaning about the space my kit takes up in the house.
I have two two piece leathers, one one piece suit, a textile suit, textile/winter trousers, three textile jackets, two leather jackets, four lids, three pairs of boots, numerous gloves etc etc.

I think a clean out is in order when I get home.

What size are you? (Incase you decide to sell anything )

; )

Wasta
13-04-2014, 03:42 AM
I think the Wolf leathers are a UK 46 or 48. I'm
6 feet tall and enjoy long walks in the countryside.

jonno_c
14-04-2014, 11:33 AM
I'm UK 42 and an aquarius.
I don't think we will be compatible ; (