PDA

View Full Version : Engine casing and cover seals, how bad is this?

AmoK
02-04-2014, 11:11 AM
So, my M900 seems to be leaking a bit, not very much yet. So it has been couple of drops after a ride, and the bottom of the engine is a bit oily.
It would seem that one leakage might be under sprocket cover, somewhere near the clutch slave, as it seems to accumulate drip of oil in the lowest part of the slave. I believe there might also be some kind of leak in the front of the engine, but don't know for sure yet.

The thing is that I noticed that the engine casing sealing is extruding between the casings on the bottom. It seems to be the same with alternator cover.
First thing that came to mind is that the the previous owner have over tightened the bolts... Maybe I should get a torque wrench and check... What are the correct torques for the engine bolts?

And then the last question, what now? Is the leak going to get much worse soon, will the sealing give up, or can I still ride? Does this mean that the engine has to be dismantled and the sealing replaced? Am I fooked for the summer?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26647560/2014-03-25%2017.24.00.jpg

Darren69
02-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Looks like RTV silicon (bathroom) sealant has been used to me to seal the crankcases, if thats so then it's probably not the best stuff to use as I don't think it stands up to heat very well.

utopia
02-04-2014, 12:20 PM
But, if it is the correct sealant (and tbh it looks fairly normal to my eyes) then its normal for it to squeeze out of the joint as the cases are tightened.
Check that your oil filter is tight, if you haven't done so already.
What chain lube do you use ? Could the leak be excess thrown from the chain as it turns the tight corner around the gearbox sprocket ?
Does your clutch fluid reservoir hold a constant level, or might there be a leak from the slave cylinder ?
I doubt very much that the casing screws are loose but its probably more important that they are all tightened equally rather than to a precise torque, so you'll probably be fine to check them all by hand if you have half-decent mechanical "feel", as long as you're gentle with them. At such low torques (I'm guessing, but they're probably only about 8 or 10 ft lb), a torque wrench may not be particularly accurate anyway, and you'll probably struggle for access with it too.

Dukedesmo
02-04-2014, 01:04 PM
It can leak through the clutch pushrod hole. There are 2 'O' rings on the pushrod and an oil seal in the clutch side, both are cheap and easy to replace.

DrD
02-04-2014, 02:16 PM
As above plus the front may be the grommets that the alternator or timing sensor wires come out of the cover. Not a big job to do all of them