PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Cans!!!

jdp683
31-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Well I received a letter fae the council on Friday.
One of my neighbours has complained about my bike!:thumbsdown:
I have only used it 2 times this year to come to work i.e. it was started at 0730ish.
I left it warming up for 10 mins or so.
It does have Cough *Arrow race system* cough.
I was a bit miffed that the neighbour didn't have the moral fibre to come and see me.
The council says it has the option to noise test my bike.
I replied to the council via email over the weekend with all the good stuff like warming the bike up, better for fuel and congestion, it was a Ducati etc etc and they could come round any time to test it anytime they liked!
Well the council guy phoned me back today said he was only doing his job in sending me the letter and it wasn't personal. He seemed like a nice bloke and understood my predicament.
Also said he now had my email on file to use if the noise assassin complained again.
Stated if they came round and tested for noise it was 99% likely my bike would pass the test! (would do if i put the MOT friendly system back on) :D
Anyone else had this happen to them?
Did it lead anywhere?
Cheers John :thumbsup:

perkles
31-03-2014, 03:32 PM
no but i had the happy clapper brigade move into the church hall next door to me and they caused me misery for a year.
I think i could live with a nice burbling ducati now and again :)

Dirty
31-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Well I received a letter fae the council on Friday.
One of my neighbours has complained about my bike!:thumbsdown:
I have only used it 2 times this year to come to work i.e. it was started at 0730ish.
I left it warming up for 10 mins or so.
It does have Cough *Arrow race system* cough.
I was a bit miffed that the neighbour didn't have the moral fibre to come and see me.
The council says it has the option to noise test my bike.
I replied to the council via email over the weekend with all the good stuff like warming the bike up, better for fuel and congestion, it was a Ducati etc etc and they could come round any time to test it anytime they liked!
Well the council guy phoned me back today said he was only doing his job in sending me the letter and it wasn't personal. He seemed like a nice bloke and understood my predicament.
Also said he now had my email on file to use if the noise assassin complained again.
Stated if they came round and tested for noise it was 99% likely my bike would pass the test! (would do if i put the MOT friendly system back on) :D
Anyone else had this happen to them?
Did it lead anywhere?
Cheers John :thumbsup:

I live at the top of a hill and if I leave early in the morning I roll down it down the hill and warm it up there. I figure if I'm gonna annoy neighbours it's better if they are someone elses :)

LouSCannon
31-03-2014, 04:25 PM
I figure if I'm gonna annoy neighbours it's better if they are someone elses :)

Heheh I used to do exactly the same years back in Manchester when I had my 695, used to leave early but rolled the bike down a hill so my immediate neighbours didn't get bothered. A few years later with the S4Rs and it's full system I then lived in cul-de-sac and there was no escape, fortunately I got on well with all concerned so never had a complaint.

Almost all councils I've seen recommend the first course of action to go and try and settle an issue direct with the neighbour verbally before complaining like that. As you say a bit gutless to resort straight to a formal complaint without at least having a chat. I don't know your neighbours and if it would make things worse but might be worth trying to talk to them to explain so if it ever does go further you can at least state you made the effort?

jarv
31-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Shame this has happened because you could do without getting a repeat complaint really.
I don't suppose you have a clue who it is and the trouble is, "a neighbour" may not be the people next door.
Blimey- you could hardly call using the bike twice this year a regular nuisance, although to be fair leaving it ticking over for 10 mins might be annoying if it woke you up!
I suggest you don't warm the bike up that way in future.
Just chug away and ride gently for a mile 'till you reach running temp.

jarv the diplomat... :D

damien666
31-03-2014, 04:59 PM
I've always set off straight away and kept the revs down on mine. It soon warms up.
When i return i shut it off at the top of the street and freewheel into my drive ( Don't like to advertise where it's kept. paranoid :on: )

jarv
31-03-2014, 05:54 PM
I've always set off straight away and kept the revs down on mine. It soon warms up.
When i return i shut it off at the top of the street and freewheel into my drive ( Don't like to advertise where it's kept. paranoid :on: )

Same here - paranoia? No - just being careful !

slob
31-03-2014, 05:58 PM
I know of at least one other member on here whose neigbours got together and lodged an official complaint, with the threat of an ASBO preventing use of the bike outside certain hours. The end result was the sale of the pipe and purchase of an alternate, more baffled system.

Yorkie
31-03-2014, 05:58 PM
I really hate it when people let their kids warm up their lungs outside my house when I'm hungover ......... it hurts bad!

If you know who it is talk to them and see if you can resolve it. Or you could just sling your leg over the bike, start it and do one!

Mine warms up reasonably quickly giving it big licks, and with Metzeler Racetec's so do the tyres!

Yorkie

simontt
31-03-2014, 06:33 PM
For the past 1.5 years I have been using the bike for commuting, that means weekday leaving home between 7 and 8am, not once I received a complaint despite having baffleless termis. Mind you I did ride off straight away with minimal revs.

3 months ago, the monster's role was reversed since i bought a Piaggo BV350ST for commute, and is now used only at weekends to Boxhill nearby. For the first few times I felt quite inconsiderate as it's between 8 and 10am on Saturday/Sunday mornings despite no complaints. I now freewheel and back to the end of the road and then start the engine - my conscience is clear.

By the way, I would like to put the baffles back in to get the crispier sound back but they just would not go in far enough to make it line up the screw holes, is that any way I can push it in fully?

Black Bob
31-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Just start it up and ride off gently on a whiff of throttle. There's no need to let it sit on idle for 10 minutes, you'll probably do more harm than good.

Although to complain after only 2 uses in the year so far is a little bit off.

Dirty
31-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Although to complain after only 2 uses in the year so far is a little bit off.

I wonder if it has a belly pan and lives at the end of your road :)

jdp683
31-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies!:yoparty:
Looks like when I start to use it more in the better weather to get to work i'll just start it and go as quietly as possible :D

Pezz
31-03-2014, 07:01 PM
By the way, I would like to put the baffles back in to get the crispier sound back but they just would not go in far enough to make it line up the screw holes, is that any way I can push it in fully?

the only way I could get mine in was grinding the edge off slightly with the auld dremmel. tried will a file but was taking ages and not really getting anywhere. they are still snug but will push in easily enough by hand ;)

Dirty
31-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies!:yoparty:
Looks like when I start to use it more in the better weather to get to work i'll just start it and go as quietly as possible :D

Just turn the home stereo up really loud whilst you are warming it up :)

SteveG
31-03-2014, 07:32 PM
no but i had the happy clapper brigade move into the church hall next door to me and they caused me misery for a year.
I think i could live with a nice burbling ducati now and again :)

How about a Sunday meet and brekkie round yours then Perkles followed by a "Blessing" next door.. bit like the French guys do in Brittany..http://www.ride.co.uk/upload/IMG_3770.gif

Darren69
31-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Agree with the above really maybe 10 mins is a bit excessive for warm up, 5 should be fine if you don't thrash it until fully warmed up. Maybe you should leave the longer warm-ups and throttle response tests until after 9 on a Sun morning? :)

perkles
31-03-2014, 09:22 PM
How about a Sunday meet and brekkie round yours then Perkles followed by a "Blessing" next door.. bit like the French guys do in Brittany..http://www.ride.co.uk/upload/IMG_3770.gif
Anytime :chuckle:

nambduke
09-04-2014, 08:31 AM
I've got some(!!) tolerant neighbours. Most just smile or nod at me when I ride past them. My M1000ie is fitted with Titanium Ducati Performance (Remus) cans which combined with the open air bix can be quite noisy, but what the hell. A few residents grumble to the neighbours who don't mind the noise but thats folk for you. Some will say to your face, others don't. I also have the same noise issue with my M5 with the Tubi exhaust system that's fitted....it's mega noisy on start up when cold, but once the cats warm up it quietens down a bit.

Good luck with the council....just change your cans if a test is demanded.

Best regards
Mark

turbohobbit
09-04-2014, 08:46 AM
I live next to a plumber who likes to load his van up at 6am and get the old diesel ticking over for 10 minutes while he cocks around, so as a result I have no issue whatsoever with sparking up Mjolnir at 8am. He who lives by the sword...

That said, I always paddle out of the drive and do a rolling start if it's super-early or slap it into neutral and roll in if I'm getting home late - but that's more to do with not waking my baby daughter than keeping the peace with the neighbours ;-)

jdp683
09-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Thanks for all the hints and tips and advice everyone much appreciated.
Looks like the council liked my email as they have kept it on file and will use it if anyone complains again!!!!
BRAAAAAAAPPPPP BRAAAAAAAAPPPPP :chuckle: