PDA

View Full Version : Chain fitting

d.man
30-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Hello all - apologies if this is a daft question, but I want to get this right!

I have a replacement chain and sprockets for my monster (as part of a spring 'tidy up'). The new chain, a tsubaki, is needing connecting via the supplied link.
When I offer the new chain up, it seems a lot longer and looks like it will need links removing.

My questions are; how many links should be removed? Should the back wheel adjuster be centre? And how much play should there be?

Appreciate any help and advice

Cheers

Danny

Albie
30-03-2014, 09:55 AM
It should be on minimum as much as possible. Why take more adjustment out. Put wheel in as far as can on stops and see what you need to cut out bearing in mind the 25mm slack on the underside.

Dukedesmo
30-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Assuming the old chain was correct then simply count how many links and remove from the new to get the same.

Flip
30-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Silly question maybe but why isn't the new one the correct length already??

Dookbob
30-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Not all chains are supplied the correct length, some are longer than the spec requires to allow for different models or for bikes with non standard sprockets. I bought one this week for a T100R, the standard length is 102 links, the chain arrived at 106 links, I was glad it was longer than standard because it required to be 104 links to accommodate my new front sprocket that has one more tooth than standard.

Flip
30-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Not all chains are supplied the correct length, some are longer than the spec requires to allow for different models or for bikes with non standard sprockets.

In my experience the chain has always been supplied the correct length and if it's been needed to be a different length due to non standard sprockets then it is ordered as such with the required amount of links to cater for that.

Or it's bought off a reel and you pay per link or measured length (as per the way most race chains are bought) and you then buy a soft link or a split link accordingly to join it.

Dookbob
30-03-2014, 10:33 PM
This one came from TMS, I ordered the standard length of 102 links, and was informed that they were supplied in lengths of 106 links, it was a case of take it or leave it. They are supplied from Reynolds so I took it.