PDA

View Full Version : Luggage...

wezrvf
22-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Well, after a lot of tweaking, pulling and trying I can't get my new Givi throw over panniers to fit on the Evo so back they go. Bit gutted as I really liked them. I am not sure panniers will work with the evo unless I get ones that sit on a frame which I didn't really want. I guess that just leaves tail packs/ roll bags etc.

I am only looking for something big enough for a few days away, that kind of thing.

What do you guys use and what have you found works well with the relatively small monster !!!?

Cheers !

bazread
22-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Hi Wez,

I have the official Ducati Performance Tank and Tail Bags for short trips and the full Ventura Luggage system with 110 litres capacity for weeks away. The second hand value of the DP stuff is quite high so if you can pick up a set you shouldn't lose too much money if you change your bike. Most of the Ventura system can be changed from bike to bike, all you have to do is buy the L Brackets for the specific model you have.

All of the products are not cheap but they are fantastic quality and fit perfectly and very easy to fit and take off.

Baz.

Pedro
22-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Ventura luggage is excellent, don't know it's on there when riding.

Ped

jarv
22-03-2014, 06:31 PM
I have a DP tail pack and a Givi tank-lock T308 bag.
Between the two there's enough space for my gear for a week away.

MrsC_772
22-03-2014, 06:33 PM
I'm one of the many fans of Kriega tailpacks on the forum - I use a US20 with one or two US10s depending on how much stuff I'm taking. Definitely waterproof - tested on a very soggy few days riding in Wales a couple of years ago.

The downside is that compared with a conventional tailpack, they're not very "rummage friendly" - once packed, it's not easy to take stuff out without unpacking the whole thing.

wezrvf
22-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Cheers guys loads of helpful advice. My aim was to gt something which means the pillion seat could be used with the luggage on but I have to say I have fallen in love with the Kriega stuff. Looking at the UScombo30. Seems like great kit. I am just wondering if 30 or 40 litres will be enough for a week away ???

I was also curious how a tail pack would effect the handling of the bike as the weight is higher up ???

Going to check out Ventura !!!

SunEye
22-03-2014, 10:27 PM
I use an Ortlieb 49 litre Rackpack secured with Zuru link straps. That's big enough for a two week trip on my bike (not a biking hoiday). For a biking holiday with careful packing you could get two weeks of gear into 40 litres.

I also have a Bags Connection Trip QL tank bag which is very useful for keys, wallet, phone, drink, map, etc.

I haven't found that my luggage has any significant effect on the handling of the bike. I notice the effect of a 5kg rucksack much more.

Paivi
22-03-2014, 11:59 PM
Another vote for Ventura. Just done a few days in Belgium with that one on and didn't even notice it was there. Due to the weight, it needed to sit on the pillion seat, not on the bracket, which meant that the bracket was free for the lighter backpack. :)

MrsC_772
23-03-2014, 08:29 AM
40 litres of Kriega (plus a Kriega waistpack for wallet, phone, passport etc) was enough for me for best part of a fortnight away on my 2012 WDW trip (although I did end up having to wash undies, socks & t-shirts part way through the trip). Packing for a bike tour is one of those times I'm very glad I have small feet as my shoes for wearing off the bike (Teva sandals on that trip) don't take up so much space in my luggage.

wezrvf
23-03-2014, 10:00 AM
I am thinking 40l should be enough. I like that you can get a bigger bag and add to the size whilst still using what you have !

wezrvf
29-03-2014, 09:19 PM
LOVE MY KRIEGA BAGS :)

Out of interest for people that have them. What have you used s your mounting point ??

I did about 100 miles today with it on and didn't even know it was there. Defo going to get another 10l to go upto 40l total. Very impressed with them.

solomoto
30-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Hi there, I use one of these, Givi 40l waterproof duffle bag. Rok straps crossed from the exhaust hangers to the opposite indicator bracket ( don't strap the cable ! ).

http://www.motostorm.it/en/details.a...FWjKtAod9AoAJg

http://www.chainspeed.co.uk/products...FTTItAodoiMAnA

Italy and back all weathers, spot on I thought.