PDA

View Full Version : Video editing software advice

Dirty
20-03-2014, 05:38 PM
I have some footage of a tunnel run but at the time my computer was so slow it just about played it. editing it was out of the question. Now I've got the processing power of Cerne I thought I'd have a go. What I mainly want to do is blur out the number plates. Moviemaker is nice and free but can't do it (not easily). Does anyone have any suggestions of software that can? Free software preferably :)

Mr Gazza
20-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Can't you just scribble over them with a crayon.?...:chuckle::chuckle:

Dirty
20-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Can't you just scribble over them with a crayon.?...:chuckle::chuckle:

Well funny you say that as in moviemaker you can kind of do that but it takes forever as obviously the plate is constantly moving around the screen. After 20 mins of 'scribbling' and adjusting I'd done about 1 minute of footage. Then, when I saved it the 'scribbling, was in a totally different place, major Grrrrrrrrr! :dunce:

Wildfire
20-03-2014, 09:54 PM
No idea in free ones, but in another life I've used Premiere and Final Cut Pro. Premiere Elements may be cheap??

Dirty
20-03-2014, 10:04 PM
No idea in free ones, but in another life I've used Premiere and Final Cut Pro. Premiere Elements may be cheap??

Excellent, thanks. do you know if Premiere has the feature I'd need to block or pixelate plates?

I suppose I should try and find out what progs like Crimewatch and Police, Camera, action use :)

Grumpy
20-03-2014, 10:41 PM
I suppose I should try and find out what progs like Crimewatch and Police, Camera, action use :)

I would have thought you already now!!:chuckle:

Wildfire
20-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Excellent, thanks. do you know if Premiere has the feature I'd need to block or pixelate plates?

I've not used it for ages, but I imagine it would do. It's pretty good from what I hear now. You may need to key frame/animate the pixel bit though if the location moves around.

I cheated and used After Effects Motion tracking last time I need to do that.

Dirty
20-03-2014, 10:59 PM
I would have thought you already now!!:chuckle:

Well who'd have thought there was was a downside to never getting caught......... :chuckle:

Dirty
20-03-2014, 11:24 PM
You may need to key frame/animate the pixel bit though if the location moves around.

I cheated and used After Effects Motion tracking last time I need to do that.

I'm starting to realise there is a bit more to all this than I'd hoped :hail:

Interesting though, I'll look into it, thanks :thumbsup:

MerlinPV12
21-03-2014, 06:23 AM
Morning Dirty - we are good mates with a video production company who work in an office below us, I'll quiz them this morning and see what thier advice is and let you know.

mart64
21-03-2014, 06:31 AM
Try this
http://www.macworld.com/article/2038541/blurring-objects-you-want-to-hide-in-imovie-11.html.
For free software search http://sourceforge.net/ includes Win & Mac format, good luck

MerlinPV12
21-03-2014, 08:39 AM
Dirty, have sent you a PM with a couple of options

Wildfire
21-03-2014, 02:45 PM
If it's quick and simple I may be able to help. Just let me know.