PDA

View Full Version : Softer front forks?

Martin C
20-03-2014, 04:52 PM
I need to replace seeping oilseals on the front forks of my (1994) M900, and as their action has always seemed too stiff, can anyone please offer advice on the best way to make them softer? I have the"early Showa type", according to my Haynes manual and the VIN number.

Are softer and/or more 'progressive' springs available, maybe from Hagon or somewhere?

Does thinner or less oil help? The manual actually recommends using more oil than originally specified!

DrD
20-03-2014, 05:10 PM
you can get Hyperpro progressive springs - come with set up on oil levels
OR get 851/888 front forks; http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=49181

MerlinPV12
20-03-2014, 05:29 PM
you can get Hyperpro progressive springs - come with set up on oil levels
OR get 851/888 front forks; http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=49181

As DrD says http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/63878

or pricier option

http://www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk/files/gp20.htm

pooh
21-03-2014, 10:29 AM
I've just sent my forks to KTech and they have fitted softer springs for me and serviced them. The difference is unbelievable made it a different bike.

Ian

Funkatronic
21-03-2014, 11:21 AM
you might find a good service is all they need, but there a are lots of good ppl out there who can overhaul and put different springs better valves in there

kais, maxton, ktech, MH racing , harris to name a few (all of who i would use without hesitation )

Martin C
21-03-2014, 04:37 PM
I've just sent my forks to KTech and they have fitted softer springs for me and serviced them. The difference is unbelievable made it a different bike.

Ian

KTech are just down the road from me, but having called them this afternoon they say they "have no data" for my (1994) M900's OE springs, so they don't know what replacement spring rate is needed. (They do have all the oilseals/etc, and at rather lower prices than Ducati parts!)

DrD
21-03-2014, 04:43 PM
What Maxton said:
Thanks for your enquiry, we can help you out with the problem on your forks but have no spec sheet for you to read. We convert your forks, but not by modifying the existing internals. We throw everything inside the fork away and start again with our internals.

The internals we supply is our own GP20 cartridge style damping system.
The cartridge system is the same type of internal as what you would find in any modern front fork. It has been manufactured and developed by our own engineers and has pistons and shim stacks for the rebound and compression damping. The Cartridge also has needle valves so you can adjust the damping. The damping adjusters are external, so you can change the damping without having to strip the forks down, but we hide the adjusters to keep the classic appearance. As part of the conversion we also machine new fork tops to take the new cartridges and damping adjusters. We also fit new springs.

Every Maxton GP20 cartridge is built to order, the reason for this is to valve and spring the cartridges to suit the fork, the bike, the riders weight and what they are using the bike for. Once the cartridge has been manufactured we then fit the cartridge to the fork to make sure it works correctly. In most conversions we have to modify the original bottom sliders and stanchions so our cartridge will fit and work properly. The forks are then returned to you fully serviced with new seals and the spring preload and damping set up.

The Maxton GP20 cartridge costs between £340.00 and £640.00 + V.A.T.
Depending on how adjustable you want the cartridge to be.

- For £340.00 + V.A.T the cartridge is adjustable for rebound damping.

- For £440.00 + V.A.T the cartridge is adjustable for rebound damping and preload.

- For £540.00 + V.A.T the cartridge is adjustable for rebound and compression damping.

- For £640.00 + V.A.T the cartridge is adjustable for rebound and compression damping and preload.

To service the forks with new seals and install the cartridges costs an extra £140.00 + V.A.T on top of the cartridge.

All adjustments can be made without having to strip the forks down.

If you need any more information about the modification we carry out you can ring me on the telephone number above, if you cannot get through fax me your number and I'll ring you back as our phone can be very busy.

Martin C
21-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Thanks - but strewth, that's a lot of money, definitely out of my league, even if it does constitute potentially good value!

Dirty
21-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Best part of a grand. Bet they are worth it though.

Flip
21-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Best part of a grand. Bet they are worth it though.

They definitely ain't cheap no matter what bike they're for- trust me- I know, but look at these little babies oozing quality and classic loveliness but with the price of the mods to the forks it all adds up that's for sure (got a free T-shirt though :thumbsup:).