PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors ............again ;)

wezrvf
15-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Hello,

After having a couple of days riding and messing with my Evo I decided to take the mirrors off to see what it looks like without them. I have to say, I prefer it soooo much more without the big ear mirrors ! Really cleans the front end up and makes it look a lot meaner.

My questions are:

What is the law regarding mirrors?

What are you guys riding with?

And

Is Rizoma Really the only option for a good quality bar end mirror ?

Let me know chaps.

Cheers !!!

utopia
15-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Bar-end mirrors actually work (for me) far better than the original stalked ones...though that's on an old style monster.
I love my Oberons (they're the more expensive of the two basic styles that they do ....and 70mm dia, round).
But, I fancy that cheap Chinese ones are 90% as good, for not much more than a quarter of the price. The only issue might be that the anodising may fade if you get anything other than silver.
But the price makes them cheap enough to be worth trying anyway.
Or, since the Oberons are sold singly, you could do as I did and buy one for the right hand side, then add the other if you like it.

Mr Gazza
15-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Not sure what the law regarding mirrors is, but it would be venturing towards the suicidal to do away with them.

The Monster was about the first bike I rode that gave me a clear veiw of the road behind me, and not of my elbows. They also didn't shake and give a blurred impression like previous bikes but that's another story.!

Bar end mirrors should give a better veiw, but they clout every damn thing in creation because they stick out like Prince Charles's ears, giving the bike unwanted extra width and knocking them out of adjustment all the time.

There is no doubt that a Monster looks an awfull lot better without the mirrors, but I put up with the funny looks of my Mickey Mouse ears as they are the best mirrors I have ever used.

Yorkie
15-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Not sure what the law regarding mirrors is, but it would be venturing towards the suicidal to do away with them.

I believe that they do not need to be fitted, I haven't run them on my Monster for a few years now and I have never failed an MoT for that. Not having them fitted makes me look around at lot more, and a little more observant.

The size of my numberplate has failed me a few times. I now have a small collection of ones I have had to buy to pass.

Yorkie

wezrvf
15-03-2014, 08:03 PM
I wanted the get a single one that hangs down below the bar and is twisted in rather than out. I thought this would be the best way to not increase width.

I also have r&g bar ends and I was looking for one that could just clamp onto that. It is about 21mm wide.

Is there also a blanking bolt you can get for the original mounts ??

Cheers

Dukedesmo
15-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Bar end mirrors should give a better veiw, but they clout every damn thing in creation because they stick out like Prince Charles's ears, giving the bike unwanted extra width and knocking them out of adjustment all the time.

Try the CRG lanesplitters http://www.constructorsrg.com/mirrors/hindsight_ls.html bar end mirrors that fold so that if/when they're knocked in they push back to their original position (like car mirrors). I've got them on my Monster and find them really good.

Darren69
16-03-2014, 08:45 AM
I've removed the mirrors on all my bikes, as Yorkie says its not a legal requirement to have them and it makes you more observant but also for practical reasons since I have to negotiate a narrow path to get bike in and out and its a pain to keep removing the mirrors, plus they look better without. I have used mirror plus from these guys:-

http://corsair-industries.com/parts/Ducati%20Billet%20Parts/Ducati%208mm%20Mirror%20Plug/

There are 2 sizes depending on if you need M8 or M10 left an right handed.

I have bought some cheap chinese bar end mirrors (£20 a pair) to try but not fitted them yet. Quality looks ok tbh for the money.

wezrvf
16-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Do we know the size of the bolt required to blank off the original mountings on the 1100? £20 plus delivery for two little bolts seems pricey. I know you can buy a single bolt off probokt for less than £2. Seems a better way to do it. I guess it is a standard size ??

Have been looking at he cheaper chineese ones. Look ok to me??

Darren69
16-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Maybe one is a left handed thread? it is on mine. It will either be M8 or M10 depending on the year.
>2008 changed to M8 earlier like mine is M10

wezrvf
16-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Cheers :)

I have found these. Look much better than the cheap chineese ones ! Plus, come with a few spacers so will fit nicely over my R&G bar ends.

Does anybody want to go halves and have one each ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Quality-Aluminium-Bar-End-Mirrors-Motorbike-Fits-Renthal-7-8-Handlebars-/190713594377?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c676a8209

jarv
16-03-2014, 03:13 PM
I wanted the get a single one that hangs down below the bar and is twisted in rather than out. I thought this would be the best way to not increase width.

I also have r&g bar ends and I was looking for one that could just clamp onto that. It is about 21mm wide.

Is there also a blanking bolt you can get for the original mounts ??

Cheers

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=48563

jarv
16-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Cheers :)

I have found these. Look much better than the cheap chineese ones ! Plus, come with a few spacers so will fit nicely over my R&G bar ends.

Does anybody want to go halves and have one each ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Quality-Aluminium-Bar-End-Mirrors-Motorbike-Fits-Renthal-7-8-Handlebars-/190713594377?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c676a8209

If you buy these - you will more than likely be buying exactly the same ones that I paid £20 for!
Seriously! I've seen them in shops - the same ones!

Here's another example.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAR-END-Mirrors-Triumph-675-Street-Triple-1050-Norton-Bonneville-Tiger-Thruxton-/121163896403?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1c35ee5653

As for the Pro-bolt theory, you can't buy L/H threaded bolts from them.... I asked.

don_matese
16-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Instead of blanking off my mirrors holes I just undid the clamps and turned them upside down...

Darren69
16-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Out of sight out of mind. Actually I'm after a set without the mirror threads for mine, but it seems they only come with the master cylinder and not separately for some bizarre reason.

wezrvf
16-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Maybe it is just better photographs then ;)

I have also asked pro bolt the same question. It is a sorry state on affairs if a company with the word bolt in their name can't done a left handed thread !!

I can't think without looking at he bike but will turning them upside own not effect something else attached to them ???

Cheers

Darren69
16-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Pro-bolt in my opinion are quite poor, the stainless stuff is ok, but the red anodized bolts I put in my SS turned a nice shade of pink within 12 months and the titanium wheel nuts I bought for the monster whilst they still look ok big chunks of what looked like laquer came off them the first time I put a socket to them.Why would you need to laquer titanium is beyond me since it should be bright enough and long lasting on its own with a natural finish?

jarv
16-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Maybe it is just better photographs then ;)

I can't think without looking at he bike but will turning them upside own not effect something else attached to them ???

Cheers

Yeah - the rider!

Some have said they can't get on with them....
I have found them to be ok fitted below the bars.....
I wouldn't like to say how YOU might feel about them but, as has been said before, you can always put them "right side up".

wezrvf
26-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Installed right hand only below bars. Will see how I get on but love the look right away :)

simonb
27-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Look good on ebay. Any chance of a pic as fitted on yours?

wezrvf
27-03-2014, 07:15 PM
No prob. Will be getting the bike out on Saturday so will get a couple of snaps !

wezrvf
29-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Really liked the new mirror today. It defo takes a bit of getting use to but I am going to stick with it below the bar. Vision is good and there are little or no vibrations which is a nice change :)

Think I may put one on the left too as I didn't realise how much I used my left mirror until it wasn't there !!

Can I upload pics from my iPad ??

One question, I have flipped the mounts for the Original mirrors upsidown so the threaded hole is on the bottom and can't be seen, I have noticed that on the left hand side the bit that sticks out that you would usually attach the mirror to very almost hits the tank on full lock. It misses by about 1mm and if I push it on full lock it does touch the tank. The right hand side stops about 15mm from the tank. The bars are dead centred, the brackets are attached to the bar the exact same distance from the end of the bars. Any ideas? Is this normal !!???

Dirty
29-03-2014, 09:47 PM
You need to upload your pics to a hosting site such as postimage.org then put the direct link in between and.

Got some little plugs the other day, they were off replacement brake cylinders for cars at a mates garage. They are rubber and fit in the holes perfectly. Got a spare couple if you like.

wezrvf
29-03-2014, 11:00 PM
WOULD LOVE THEM PLEASE !!!

How much do you want for them :)

Thank you

Dirty
29-03-2014, 11:05 PM
Ha ha, nothing, they are just little rubber grommets that he usually throws away. They fit perfectly. I'm going to get him to save them for me from now on in case anyone else wants a pair. Happily these ones happen to be yellow :mand:

PM me your address and I'll pop em in the post.