PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak M900 Filter..

SteveG
09-03-2014, 01:42 PM
2nd day of ownership and I've struck oil! (Sadly not the make you rich quick variety.....just p1ssing out from the oil filter area :worried:.... .lucky I was at the traffic lights and smelt the lovely fumes of burning oil as it hit the pipes & not mid bend at the time)

I see there are some other thread items on similar for the M900 & it seems not uncommon so I'm gonna be checking them out...

In Fast Show style.. "I will probabably mostly be doing some spannering in the sunshine for the rest of the day"...

Will update on the end results

Flip
09-03-2014, 02:11 PM
I'm sure it was on another thread that apparently there was a bad batch of filters that didn't seal properly- or of course if it was only recently fitted there is a chance that it got a little loose as it heated up and a good pinch up will sort it.

They are peculiar in that they have seven flats and so the filter tool is Ducati specific and because of the location a little awkward to tighten just by hand so that's maybe all it needs

SteveG
10-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Easy one in the end.. the filter was obviously "light" hand tightened & shook loose under the heavy thumping..so following the forum guidance I have done it hand tight plus a quarter of a turn using a very large spanner.... no more leaks for now :) Won't stop me being paranoid for a while though...

Steve'o'M900
10-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Apologies Steve,
Feeling guilty today! She never leaked oil the entire time I owned her, and I rode up to the arboretum a while back without a hitch, hopefully that'll be the end of it.

Steve

SteveG
10-03-2014, 08:23 PM
No sweat Steve O.. good to see you again today and many thanks for dropping the box of bits off at the office. I'll be fitting the hugger tomorrow and getting out there again :)... See ya around I hope.. Steve G

NattyBoy
10-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Pretty common - some people actually over tighten them which is just as bad - glad to see it's sorted - enjoy the new toy - doesn't seem like 5 minutes since Steve bought it !

SteveG
13-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Well... not quite over... The saga continued... after spannering it up as previously and monitoring for any leaks - none evident for a day or two - I decided to ride into work. Arrived grinning .. and then smelt burning oil again. Damn .. Just a drop or two hitting the pipe. Let it stand at work for the morning and then came out to check lunchtime, a few fresh drops on the tarmac - but fired her up when cold and then it was coming out at the rate of about a teaspoon a minute.. damn it... no massive Stilson plumbers wrench in the leathers when I needed them most...

So - today I took the car in with toolbox and oil drip tray & after surfing this forum and other Ducati sites decided to get a new filter - luckliy PDQ in Taplow (more on them later - looks like an ace place to spend all my money..) is a short hike from the office so decided to go for something other than OEM and bought 2 K&N filters (part # 153) as the K&N have the built in nut for easy spannering & seem a bit more heavy duty.

Removed the existing, laid under the bike and checked the seal face etc, all clean - oiled up the seal on the K&N screwed in hand tight and then roughly 3/4 turn using the 17mm spanner.. tested, topped up with fresh oil to make up for the losses and the old filter full and checked & topped again.

Rode home tonight- stopping twice to check but all tight and no leaks.. I hope and think that is the end of it and I'll just put it down to a bad OEM filter. The seal looked fine so a bit of an odd one for sure...

Bring on the weekend! :) Yeehaaa!

chris yeatman
14-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Yeah I had issues with oem filters on my old 750, now using after market filters even though I now have a s4r. No problem since.

Dirty
17-03-2014, 03:57 PM
Figure I'll ask here. I'm gonna do a filter change soon and obviously a hammer is the way to remove them but I was considering getting technical and using the 'bash a screw driver through it and turn' method. Also does all the oil drain out there or is there another plug?

DrD
17-03-2014, 04:19 PM
You have a sump plug, an oil strainer and the oil filter - in effect three holes!

Dirty
17-03-2014, 04:29 PM
You have a sump plug, an oil strainer and the oil filter - in effect three holes!

Resist, resist :mand:

Oil strainer? Where is that? I think I've located the plug, 2p sized thing with a hex hole?

DrD
17-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Here you go: http://www.ducatisuite.com/oilchange.html

Dirty
17-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Brilliant DrD, thank you.

Seems more involved than I'd imagined. I'm sure I never bothered with new washers and torques when I've done my cars.

Best place to grab these washers anyone? Fleabay or motorapido?

rollo22
17-03-2014, 07:40 PM
I had an OEM filter leak there was a bad batch from memory.
It was the crimp that leaked.
Got a nice new one for free from main dealer who did the service.

Flip
17-03-2014, 08:22 PM
I think I've located the plug, 2p sized thing with a hex hole?

While you're down there playing with your holes (so to speak) swap the Allen head sump plug with one of these lovely items:

http://www.avantiraceparts.co.uk/shop.php?id=3&cat=8

Money well spent I'd say as the original is made of Parmigiano.

If you're feeling flush you could even go as far as to buy the correct oil filter tool to save your screwdrivers :chuckle:

Darren69
17-03-2014, 08:41 PM
I think even if the right tool was available, it would be too much to ask to not be tempted to bash a few screwdrivers through the filter just for the sake of it, then use the correct tool.

Dirty
17-03-2014, 08:57 PM
I think even if the right tool was available, it would be too much to ask to not be tempted to bash a few screwdrivers through the filter just for the sake of it, then use the correct tool.

You mean try the fancy pants screw driver method then hit it with a hammer! Good call :)

Dirty
17-03-2014, 09:00 PM
While you're down there playing with your holes (so to speak) swap the Allen head sump plug with one of these lovely items:

http://www.avantiraceparts.co.uk/shop.php?id=3&cat=8

Money well spent I'd say as the original is made of Parmigiano.

This looks same but cheaper?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Monster-900-Ie-00-02-Oil-Drain-Sump-Plug-Bolt-Washer-x-2-022M-/360534738697?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item53f18b8709

DrD
17-03-2014, 09:44 PM
My oil filters go on hand tight (with clean hands and filter and rag)
Tend to need one of these (http://www.yourspares.co.uk/parts/ys158754/oil-filter-wrench--63--88mm-380056.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Google%2BProducts&gclid=CMbH3KXSmr0CFe3ItAodqAoAdg) to come off!

Darren69
18-03-2014, 06:16 AM
The K&N ones even have a nut on the end for easy removal. Supposed to be superior filters too from what I've read.

Dirty
18-03-2014, 07:12 AM
The K&N ones even have a nut on the end for easy removal. Supposed to be superior filters too from what I've read.

Yeah I've bought a K&N to go on so it goes against the grain to buy a tool to take 1 filter off

utopia
18-03-2014, 12:32 PM
On the std drain plug......
Its made of brass, and the hex socket is cast rather than machined.
This means that it is slightly tapered, rather than parallel, which can create a headache when trying to remove it if it is tight.
On Hellcat's bike, I had to grind a special, tapered hex key to fit, in order to avoid chewing the hex socket.

When fitting the new filter, make sure that the sealing surfaces are well oiled, otherwise the rubber will drag and can distort as the filter is tightened.

Dirty
24-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Thanks Utopia, pleasant and helpful like 99% of members on here :mand:

You are right about the hex socket, I think tightening it was a round in 'worlds strongest man competition' last year.

Anyhoo I've borrowed the final bit of kit I need

http://www.wildco.com/images/T/78530.jpg

I'm going to the garage, I may be some time :cool: