PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?....idiotic eureka moment

Rowly
08-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Doing dual carriageway miles on the newly acquired Monster and braking for roundabouts caused me to do two things....
My gentleman's area kept slamming into the tank on braking so I blamed the seat and got the touring one off ebay (nice n' cheap).
To stop the jaw setting grimace at speed I fitted the DP smoked screen.

As I set off I still kept sliding forward under braking and the screen was rubbish....Until, I gave in and pressed my parts against the tank which obviously stops me sliding forward and puts my face above the bubble of the screen which is right where the air flow quietens. Doh!

Have the years of riding touring style bikes effected my style, why did I feel the need to shove my rear to the rear of the seat?

This new position does feel like I'm trying to climb over the front wheel but until I can gaze at myself in a shop window (come on you all do it) I'm guessing this is where Ducati want me to sit.

Fatal
08-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Have you tried gripping the tank with your knees when braking
Alan H

Rowly
08-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Yes fatal, gripping away. Textile trousers probably don't help.

Darren69
08-03-2014, 11:54 AM
I put some stompgrip type pads on mine, because my leathers were dulling the paint. May help with grip also.

utopia
08-03-2014, 12:50 PM
My 750 seems to handle better when I'm sat right forward on the seat anyway ....it seems to like the extra weight over the front, particularly round the slower twisties.

I'm not sure how much the tiny screens are designed with function as the primary criterion.
When I sat on the new 1200, I remember admiring the look of little screen on the one with the extras fitted, but then realising that it looked like it would actually do very little at all to deflect the blast from the rider. ...though of course, a road test may give surprising results.
The slidey-forward seat seems to be a common feature. My bike is the same. I've just bought a Corbin seat that has a flatter profile, which will hopefully help matters when the crushing slide is compounded by the shove from behind by a pillion passenger.
If not I might have to look into wearing a cricketers' box. :rolleyes:

binky
08-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Grip tank with knees and also pull on footrests using your legs stops all that stuff unless your Marc Marquez and hang off that far but then your man bits are nowhere near the tank anyway

bigredduke
08-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Compared to the S4R, the Evo's riding position feels more supermoto-like.

It does feel as though you are sitting right over the front wheel at first but I am getting used to it now. Overall, I find the Evo suits me better and the standard seat is far better than the one on the S4R was. I'm a bit of a short-arse though so this may be a factor.

Rowly
09-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Wow. Nice day for a scratch today so took her out along the Kimbolton road. Balls to the tank allowed me to grip with knees and thighs and felt a whole lot more connected. I think my history of bench seated, standard, shaft driven bikes has allowed me to sit back so my knees were almost at 90deg. It felt much better sat forward and I could still swing about at corners.

As for the DP screen I can say that there is no sensation of wind on your chest at speed. This stops the grimace of death as you hang on to the bars. It is awesome and I can recommend it to anyone who does long, high speed journeys.:thumbsup: