PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder studs

Kato
08-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Just arrived with the post, super strong for my new engine build , claimed 19% elasticity and a tensile strength of 164 ksi

Should do the job nicely,

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/kato--/image_zps2c2895db.jpeg

Mr Gazza
08-03-2014, 09:40 AM
Nice...What is the wood.?

binky
08-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Where from and how much or is it a special job for friends ��

utopia
08-03-2014, 12:14 PM

Don't be daft, Gazza......they're made of metal. :rolleyes:

But being more serious.....
I don't really understand these.
Why the waisted section in the middle ? In fact, since both the middle section and the bits adjacent to the threads are reduced to thread root dia, why the extra dia of the other areas ? What do they achieve ?
Also, what do you mean by 19% elasticity ? Surely not that they can stretch to nearly an extra fifth of their original length without permanent deformation ?
And finally, what units are ksi ?

I'm not intending to cast doubt or criticise here. Just genuinely curious.

All has been quiet on the build front for a while, but I am looking forward to seeing your latest creation when it hits the daylight.

Darren69
08-03-2014, 12:23 PM
The Baines ones I fitted to my old 900ss had waisted sections, which are as I recall to allow them to stretch a little as the early 900 air cooled motors were prone to snapping the standard ones, as happend to me but never had that problem with the 750 though.

Dirty
08-03-2014, 12:32 PM
And finally, what units are ksi ?

KSI =
Kato's sock intervals?
Kinetic soup integrity?

Or more likely Kilopounds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ksi_%28unit%29#ksi) :)

Capo
08-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Here are mine
http://www.ti64.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Ducati-titanium-head-studs.jpg

http://www.ti64.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Ducati-titanium-head-stud-top-end.jpg

http://www.ti64.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Ducati-titanium-head-stud-bottom-end.jpg

utopia
08-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Those studs of Capo's look more like I would expect to see, ie full waisting along the whole length .........apart from a short section (near the top ?) which I assume is to keep the stud central.
Not that I'm a huge expert or anything.
I would have thought though, if anything, that the short waisted section would merely concentrate the stress in that section and I can't see the point of that (unless its so that, if one should break, at least it won't break right next to the thread, leaving nothing grab to remove the remains from the cases....but that seems a bit unlikely).

And yes, possiibly ksi = kilosomethings per square inch......but then that tells you nothing really.

Capo
08-03-2014, 01:18 PM
And yes, possiibly ksi = kilosomethings per square inch......but then that tells you nothing really.

I don't think so, your mixing metric and imperial

Darren69
08-03-2014, 01:24 PM
kilopound per square inch. 1 ksi = 1000psi

utopia
08-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Ah....kpsi, then.
Or is that kp/si
Or k.lbf/si
Or, being strictly imperial, psi x 1000

Not that I'm a member of the pedantic society.......its actually the "society of pedants". :twak:

don_matese
09-03-2014, 07:25 AM
You would think kp/si but it is actually ksi. Kilopound per Square Inch. Only the capitalised letters show because kilopound is a single word.

Dirty
09-03-2014, 02:12 PM
I don't think so, your mixing metric and imperial

No, it's kilo meaning 1000 rather than it's metric meaning

Saint aka ML
09-03-2014, 04:05 PM
and Kato is now sitting LoL-ing all over at how this thread went :)

Dirty
09-03-2014, 05:28 PM
The kilopound per square inch is a scaled unit derived from psi, equivalent to a thousand psi.

ksi are not widely used for gas pressures. They are mostly used in materials science, where the tensile strength of a material is measured as a large number of psi.

Darren69
09-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Yes and I was looking at the R&G crash bars/mushrooms for mine etc and they quoted 18500 psi for the bar which would probably be in the same ball park as those studs (18.5ksi) so those are pretty strong and not just threaded bar which would go someway to explaining why they are 80 quid a set!

Capo
09-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Not widely used, all imperial references to tensile strength that I've seen use psi.

Dirty
09-03-2014, 08:52 PM
It is psi. By the thousand.

Capo
09-03-2014, 10:29 PM
But without the K prefix e.g. in the example given it would be and is expressed as 19,000 psi.

Dirty
09-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Yes, that's correct. The K merely represents the thousands so it is an imperial measurement expressed in thousands. Used, I guess, where large numbers are common place and therefore saving the constant writing of 3 extra zeros. If you check the link on my first post wiki kindly explains it is not widely used for gas pressures and mostly used in materials science.

utopia
10-03-2014, 02:13 AM
Sorry about causing a hijack, Kato.
It was an innocent mistake in the first place, with unexpected consequences.
See the mess we get into when we use poorly defined units.
The imperial system is particularly bad at being logical and consistent.
In this case the k is a quantity......a thousand.
Its presence suggests that the unit is metric, in which case the next letter ..s.. should indicate seconds, but it isn't, so it doesn't.
.... the s is a geometric function.....something squared......but in fact it should be negative squared.
....only the i is actually a unit .....inches
.....and the pounds aren't mentioned at all.....and even if they were they would probably be pounds mass rather than pounds force.
To my mind, that is a sh1t unit.

I was in pretty much the last school year to be taught the imperial system in this country. I find it staggering that the old system still clings on in some parts of industry after such a long time.
So lets get into the modern world and use good old, sensible, metric, Newtons per sq mm ....or factors of a thousand thereof......if only because they weren't given std abbreviations by imbeciles.

As always, no offence intended to anyone's expressed point of view.
And btw, the above are the words of a man who still measures stuff in thousandths of an inch .....well its just so much more useable, innit ? :spin:
And I prefer my tyre pressures in.....yep, you guessed it.....psi.

So when are we going to get a report on this new build, Kato ?
I've been gagging to see it for ages.

And I still don't understand those studs.

Capo
10-03-2014, 03:16 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix

Metric prefixes rarely appear with imperial or US units except in some special cases (e.g., microinch, kilofoot, kilopound or 'kip'). They are also used with other specialized units used in particular fields (e.g., megaelectronvolt, gigaparsec, millibarn, decibel). They are also occasionally used with currency units (e.g., gigadollar), mainly by people who are familiar with the prefixes from scientific usage.

Now days we use the pascal

The pascal (symbol: Pa) is the SI derived unit of pressure, internal pressure, stress, Young's modulus and tensile strength. It is a measure of force per unit area, defined as one newton per square metre.

slob
10-03-2014, 06:33 AM
Can we play top-trumps?

http://www.ti64.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Ducati-titanium-head-studs.jpg

Manufacturer:
Material:
Elasticity:
Tensile strength:
Weight:
MTTF:
Price:

;-D

Kato
10-03-2014, 07:06 AM
WOW.........I'm trying to think what picture to post next, just to see what happens

Kato
10-03-2014, 07:08 AM

Its Bamboo

Dirty
10-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Its Bamboo

An amazing material, laminates of which have a claimed tensile strength of 31.91 ksi (220 MPa)

The imperial system is particularly bad at being logical and consistent.
In this case the k is a quantity......a thousand.
Its presence suggests that the unit is metric, in which case the next letter ..s.. should indicate seconds, but it isn't, so it doesn't.

And that's why I love the imperial system it's so.....British :) And the fact that we can happily carry on with our bizarre mixes of pints of beer, 568 Ml of milk, Psi in our tyres but still working out MPG in our heads because we have to buy fuel by the litre but vehicles and road signs measure in miles, buying 113gm of sweets... I love it. Even the EU has given up on trying to force us to 100% metricate. I guess they thought after 10 years or so of confusion we'd welcome a 1 system system but we just adapted.

I was in pretty much the last school year to be taught the imperial system in this country.

I have a hazy memory of being taught feet and inches in primary school early years then metres and cms the next year. I think we should consider ourselves lucky that we can be comfortable in either.

slob
10-03-2014, 10:13 AM
I remember being taught decimal currency for several years and not being able to understand prices in shops which were still in £.s.D

utopia
10-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Measured my wheelbase the other day.
It was roughly one tenth of a rod, pole, perch or chain.
Would that be one deciperch ?

Decimal currency was ok for me.
A packet of ten cigs was still paid for with the same coin, but they just called it 10p instead of two bob.
Yes folks....10p a packet !! ....and that included a box of matches.

But I did also find some confusion with the use of L.s.d.
....sorry, open goal, couldn't resist.

Gilps
10-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Just arrived with the post, super strong for my new engine build , claimed 19% elasticity and a tensile strength of 164 ksi

Should do the job nicely,

I think that may be an American oak

slob
10-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Its Bamboo

Well done Sherlock Gilpin....

Gilps
10-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Well done Sherlock Gilpin....

Bamboo, or American Oak as we call it when making frames for DFS 😝

slob
10-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Manufacturer: Nichols
Material: ?
Elasticity: 19%
Tensile strength: 164 ksi
Weight: ?
MTTF: ?
Price: $280

Manufacturer: Ti64
Material: Titanium
Elasticity: ?
Tensile strength: ?
Weight: ?
MTTF: ?
Price: ?

Mr Gazza
10-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Its Bamboo

Cheers Kato...It really had me baffled.

I've used English Oak, European Oak, Bog Oak, American White Oak and American Red Oak.

I knew no way was that timber a Quercus of any kind.