PDA

View Full Version : ezy and honda stump ducati again

peter
06-03-2014, 10:58 AM
can you believe this.
so much for closer racing.

MotoGP to create Factory 2 class?

This year's MotoGP World Championship could have three different sets of technical regulations due to the last-minute creation of a new 'Factory 2' class, according to an interview with Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta on AS.com

The 2014 season is presently set to start with just the Factory and new Open class - Open replacing the privateer Claiming Rule Team category.

But Ducati's defection from Factory to Open, in order to avoid increasing restrictions on Factory machine development, looks to have prompted a knee-jerk reaction.

While Honda and Yamaha expected the Open class to be a place for cheaper non-official machines, the only distinction in the technical regulations is ECU software: Unique manufacturer software means Factory class, standard (shared) software means Open class.

In return for using the standard software, Ducati immediately have access to a range of advantages such as extra race fuel, engine changes, a softer rear tyre, no in-season engine development freeze and loser testing regulations.

From Ezpeleta's comments, a Factory 2 class looks set to be created in response to Ducati's move, with machines starting under Open regulations, but having their race fuel and engine changes reduced if they achieve a certain level of top three race results.

Ezpeleta, who insists an Open-style standard ECU for all remains his goal, says the new class will be officially announced on March 11.

utopia
06-03-2014, 11:51 AM
You mean, like, changing the rules just before the season starts......!!!!
MotoGP will lose all credibility if they do that.

If Ducati have found an advantage in the rule book that suits their purpose, poor show the Japanese for not spotting it themselves.
There's no point complaining once their error comes to light.....at least not until next year.

Tbh, although I do enjoy prototype racing, the whole motoGP thing is becoming a bit messy these days.
Personally, I prefer a production based class like the superbikes....though I hope that both remain rather than the rumoured muscling in of motoGP onto superbike territory

DrD
06-03-2014, 12:40 PM
agree - the whole thing is getting too messy with what seem to be three classes of bikes in the same race.
And the coverage rarely goes beyond the first six so will not be missing much by not watching it this year without it on the beeb

Dirty
06-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Stupid rule from what I read. A top 3 finish will result in restrictions on fuel amount and engine allocation (from 12 to 9) but what if they finish 1st on their 10th engine. Do they have to fit pedals for the next race? Will riders decide to finish tactically, ie 4th instead of 3rd? I hate multi class racing anyway so adding a 3rd just to ham string another team gets a big boo from me.

pompone
06-03-2014, 05:00 PM
It didn't take honda long to start crying then as it turns out..

Dirty
06-03-2014, 05:18 PM
It didn't take honda long to start crying then as it turns out..

No it would seem not but I don't get why Dorna seem to have rolled over on this so quickly. He is quoted as saying that it's going 'open' with or without Honda so why the back pedal. Unless Honda threatened an immediate pull out and Dorna have contracts that rely on a Honda presence for this year at least, but then it would cost Honda dearly to pull out so late too!

I think they should have just thrown a few ECUs at Honda and Yamaha and said get on with racing or P off!

pompone
06-03-2014, 06:18 PM
I think Honda is pissed off as the latest ECU have had a large contribution from Ducati own software. Still, they were asked to contribute and they declined so..