PDA

View Full Version : Bottom lip quivering at Honda over Ducati Open decision :)

Dirty
05-03-2014, 04:54 PM
The first thought that came to mind was 'ah diddums' :)

2nd thought was how much I like the word 'disgruntled' :)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112760

perkles
05-03-2014, 05:06 PM
If it's supposed to be a cheaper class to race in he does have a point,god to see honda ruffled though :)

mart64
05-03-2014, 07:17 PM
"Andrea Dovizioso, now riding an Open-class Ducati, finished just six thousandths of a second down on Honda's Dani Pedrosa after the second day of tyre testing at Phillip Island on Tuesday" = disgruntled
Its possible we might see proper racing instead of parade laps !

Darren69
05-03-2014, 07:37 PM
i think the one of the reasons Ducati have been hampered by the last few years, is the tight restriction on fuel. Remove that and that bike fair flies. So good luck to 'em if they've ruffled a few feathers.

pompone
06-03-2014, 07:26 AM
So Suppo is moaning about the software when Honda stated no longer than a month back that they won't race in MotoGP if they had to use the FIM-MM software & ECU? Also he's not talking about the Yamaha Open or their own bike, which are not really "cheap"..

bigredduke
06-03-2014, 01:30 PM
The first thought that came to mind was 'ah diddums' :)

2nd thought was how much I like the word 'disgruntled' :)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112760

Reminds me of a typical line from PG Wodehouse.........."Whilst he was not exactly disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled". Genius.

Nickj
07-03-2014, 09:25 AM
They've been cold cocked by the new software and seem to be feeling that Ducati have had a hand in it so they go in flying. Might be true but the Jap factory teams always had a big input into the rules so they were biased towards them when ever possible.

I can see the class is supposed to be a step down in cost and allow smaller teams to spread development costs, shame no one thought about how it was worded or would be implemented first.
If it puts Ducati on the start grid and (now wouldn't this go down well) a lower race 'class' Ducati matches or does better than the 'full works' teams it would go over as a bit of a coup and spalt much egg over many faces.

Dirty
07-03-2014, 10:00 AM
It is a step down at the moment but the long term objective is to draw everyone into it. Seems like the predicted/planned performance merge is happening a bit faster than Honda are happy with :)

pompone
07-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Nowhere it says that the Open should be cheap, or cheaper. And Honda and Yamaha with their $600K seamless gearboxes (which you could buy for the production bike) are just talking rubbish. Without them there still be a MotoGP. Is just a shame Dorna is already giving in. I don't agree on the fuel limitation anyway (or with the controlled tire for that matter). Now cutting on software price brings real savings, not 3 litre of fuel!

Dirty
07-03-2014, 01:48 PM
I think that was part of the plan. The open isn't cheaper but the 'engine claim' or whatever it was called last year was advertised as that and in fact did bring in teams that could never compete against the big boys on equal terms.

Saint aka ML
07-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Frankly the idea how they want to "fix" Ducati move is also very wrong. So lets say other Open Class team does great by accident they get penalised.

By accident I honestly mean by accident. Open Class Team "x" is 5th. On last lap first two riders take them self out, or worse do something to get disqualified, he jumps to 3rd spot and boom goes extra fuel and engines. WTF

Dirty
07-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Frankly the idea how they want to "fix" Ducati move is also very wrong. So lets say other Open Class team does great by accident they get penalised.

By accident I honestly mean by accident. Open Class Team "x" is 5th. On last lap first two riders take them self out, or worse do something to get disqualified, he jumps to 3rd spot and boom goes extra fuel and engines. WTF

Exactly. Imagine 3 of the 4 factory bikes take themselves out on lap 1. The other factory bike shoots off into the distance and the rest of the open field spend the whole race going slower and slower in order to finish 4th rather than 3rd or 2nd! Interesting spectacle, not really a race!

Of course I could have interpreted the rules incorrectly plus there are riders out there that can't be doing with tactics and just want to go fast but even so....

perkles
07-03-2014, 02:14 PM
sounds good i might enter