PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what's wrong..

Lee77uk
28-02-2014, 03:43 PM
As the title suggests, m600 dark was working fine earlier.. Decided to fit the side stand bypass thing I bought, but first accidentally dropped the bike while distracted. Don't think the drop damaged anything as the bike started fine afterwards (have crash mushrooms). I fitted the adapter, worked ok, but then for no apparent reason when pressing the start button all I got was a clicking sound, bike then started after a few seconds.. Concerned by this development I switched it off and tried again, again clicking sound from starter motor.. Then this developed into a quiet buzz/whine.. Now the bike won't start at all.

When I put the key in and turn the bike on, the lights all work, but are quite dim.

I'm assuming either the battery is dieing/dead.. Or the starter motor has?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated... Thanks

slob
28-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Yep, sounds like duff battery. The click is the starter solenoid.
Perhaps the knock off falling over has dislodged a connection or damaged an ageing battery

Mr Gazza
28-02-2014, 04:57 PM
It sounds like the symptoms of lack of current.

That could be due the battery just dying of natural causes, I doubt that the tip over would be anything to do with it.

You need to check the voltage, and charge it up.

Possibly the bike's charging system could be at fault, if so the first call would be to make sure all the connections from alternator to reg/rec and reg/rec to battery are clean and tight.

If the reg/rec if faulty then i'm not sure what the test is, but the only fix is to replace it.

It could be possible that you have inadvertantly caused a short somewhere, with the harness mod, and drained some voltage away. Unlikly though.

My most urgent concern would be to check that the battery breather is in good condition and properly connected, as acid can easily leak onto the frame and engine.
If there is any sign of a leak get in there quick with plenty of water, warm soapy water if you can....Battery acid damage on Monster Frames and engines is sadly so very common and very disfiguring...Lift the tank and check ASAP. The electric problem will wait.

Lee77uk
28-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Just had the RAC out. Looks like I just need a new battery

Lee77uk
28-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Would Halfords stock the right matter?

gary tompkins
01-03-2014, 12:24 AM
I've got a spare new battery for a 600 here