PDA

View Full Version : New searches and easier Log Out - please

Lady-Bob
21-01-2004, 11:27 AM
I think it would be great if members could search for other members by bike type or region.

I noticed a ducati dark turning into Sydenham High Street the other day - the first time I've seen someone riding a dark in my general locale since I bought my dark. I clocked the registration but have no way of finding out who the rider was and making contact.

This website is great but it hasn't helped me meet other ducati riders which would have been nice. I can't even do a search to find out which members are in South East London, or North Kent

I also suggest the log out facility to be easier to find - Maybe a new selection after HOME at the top of the screen????

I have a hell of a time finding how to log out and when I do eventually click on "log out" (and I've only been able to find it on the "Post Reply" screen - the home screen alway hangs and I give up!) I find I'm still logged in when I return to the website a few days later!?

Bob :rolleyes:

CK & AK
21-01-2004, 11:36 AM
Hi Bob - if you go to the portal page, you will find on the r/h top side of the page, a place to log in & out ( I do this at work).
I admit it does sometimes take time to log out, but at the moment doesnt take long to log back in (for me).:)

Have also thought about the contact bit - but could be difficult (data protection thingy):confused:

As you can prob see at the moment, most of us are trying to post when the regular region meets are - and also in the 'whats on this weekend' bit too.
Maybe by the time the weather gets better, we will see more of each other.

Can always post up for an impromptu meet.

Hope some of this may help????

C:burnout: :burnout:

Lady-Bob
21-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks for info about loggin in/out CK, I'll give it a go.

As for the searches and "Data Protection Act" that is superfluous given that everyone can see the location and type of bike from the member profiles which are used when posting replies new threads etc.,

For example, I can see that you are from Surrey and ride an M750ie. I can clearly see it and would like to be able to put model and/or location into a search engine.

If people didn't want others to see this information - it is not mandatory to complete those fields in the profiles and members are drawn to that fact when completing the Profile section.

Sorry if I sound "picky"

Bob :D

21-01-2004, 12:30 PM
If you did enable searching by region or bike (or anything) then provided only email addresses were visible it should be Ok. I think that in "user profile" you have the option of making email addresses visible or invisible.
Don't want to be contacted then become invisible.

Melnie Mouse
21-01-2004, 01:32 PM
giving out email address' are still against data protection act Proto... don't think there's much we can do about that though...

21-01-2004, 02:14 PM
OK, but we are already able to contact people by email or PMs just by looking at their profile. (You can't "see" thier address though, I realise). Can't that just stay the same?

CK & AK
21-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Mel - there is a choice in your personal options, to prevent others emailing you - this means that others can only pm you.

If you keep the option to let others email you, should you reply to that person - they will then have your email address.

Bob - I see where you are coming from - however, fatbloke has had probs with this type of thing, as quite a lot register on here with a model of bike - when it turns out that
a ; they do not have a bike
b ; they have 'another make' of bike
c ; they dont actually have that model of bike
d ; for peeps like ourselves, J & R & bunny (to name just '3' of us - there are more) they have more than 1 bike.

Not sure how he can resolve that really - but worth a try Fatbloke - eh??

C:)

Melnie Mouse
21-01-2004, 03:54 PM
thanks CK x

BoozyBOB
21-01-2004, 11:33 PM
mmmmm,,...its easy realy.....profile you can E-Mail or PM...or just join in on a meet...then you can put a face to the avitar...and be welcome at any meet...as i was....

Lady-Bob
23-01-2004, 10:56 AM
CK - I see your point about the info not being too reliable.

I don't agree with previous member posts in that - I don't want to search for other member's email addresses, I just wanna know who's in what area, or who rides what, then I can PM them if necessary, they don't have to reply if they don't want to.

If the website automatically gave out email addresses - I agree that would be against the Data Protection Act
BUT
If the members have chosen to allow their email addresses to be shown by clicking on that option within their Profiles, then it's not against the Data Protection Act.

I do feel isolated in South East London/North Kent area as a Monster owner. Apart from Gary Tompkins and Bumble I don't know of ANYONE in my area that I could arrange a meet or run with etc. (And I still haven't MET Gary yet - not for the want of trying!!!)

The Kent region thread does not seem to be used so I have no way of telling who is from where without paging through the members in alphabetical order and selecting each one individually to check their profile - watching paint dry comes to mind!

That said - if it causes to much hoo-har (and/or too much work - programming wise) then let's drop the subject.:lol:

Bob

LeMarsu
23-01-2004, 12:21 PM
Ok,

We are working on a new forum, with more functionality.
I will try to add the option to search for users by region, I am not sure I will limit that option for the Local Area Rep only.

No way am I letting you all see other peoples email address!

There is a log out at the forum home on the bottom http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/

Lady-Bob
23-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Thanks LeMarsu

Bob

:) :)