PDA

View Full Version : 800

kempy
16-02-2014, 05:27 PM
hello people
ive seen a 2003 monster 800 for sale with 24,000 miles and partial service history. the guy says it needs belts and I havnt got a problem with that. Should this mileage scare me. This is my first step into the murky Ducati waters.

cheers

Dave

Nickj
16-02-2014, 06:44 PM
The engine is just a newer derivative of the generic 2V series.

Should 24K scare you?? Sounds like you aren't that sure so as an idea my 750 has done 70K, as far as I can tell the engines fine.

I'd take it, the miles are enough to bring the price down on what is a very tough motor (subject to the usual caveats of regular oil changes more than anything).
It's been used and it'll run all the better for it

Dirty
16-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Around 2k miles a year, perfect, subject to everything else buy it, don't let the mileage put you off.

kempy
16-02-2014, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the info. And when I go and see it if it is what the owner says it is I think I will buy it.

Dave

Mr Gazza
17-02-2014, 04:54 PM
...... This is my first step into the murky Ducati waters.

Dive in dear boy. The water will soon clear.

slob
17-02-2014, 05:06 PM
When you say 'partial', I would be more concerned about recent service history than what is long gone. I'd be more worried if the last owner or two had been neglecting it.

steeevvvooo
17-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Agree with the above. Partial might mean he has a couple of mots and an empty oil can. If it looks like it's had a few oil changes and seems genuine then could be worth a shot.

Belts and valve clearances would be done immediately if it were me but it sounds like you already expect that.

Monsters seem to be reliable if they are looked after and used semi regularly so the mileage would not scare me as much as one with 3 or 4k on it.

Good luck

kempy
21-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Thanks for all 4he advice people. Going to have look tomorrow. Another thing I would like to know is having sat on other monsters ive found due to a previous enconter with a drunken Mercedes its a long reach for my smashed shoulder. Do you think batr risers will make much difference to the handling. Are seat cowls ready available for M800s. Again any advise is greatly received. And hoping to join you all for meets in the summer.

utopia
21-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Seat cowls are the same for all early shape monsters, I believe. So yes, readily available.
Of course you'll need to match the colour, or fit a carbon one.

Dunno about the bars myself, or even which type they are, but it can surely be done somehow or other without too much trouble.

As a long term, happy owner of a 750, I can predict that you might like the 800 rather a lot.

Darren69
21-02-2014, 09:49 AM
You can get Speedy Moto tall boy risers which can be adjusted to give up to about 6 inches of rise,
(oo err missus)

I have some and they can also be dropped down the fork leg to just above the top plate.

kempy
21-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Cheers for the info.
has anyone seen the 800 on gumtree? Mate has said the engine looks a tatty! Am expecting to much at this price?

Dave

Dirty
21-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Post a linky and we'll have a look see :)

kempy
21-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Post a linky and we'll have a look see :)

Completely clueless when it comes to that kind of stuff, too old

Dirty
21-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Completely clueless when it comes to that kind of stuff, too old

This one?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/ducati-monster-800s/1048615932#photo-content

kempy
21-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Yeah thats the kiddie

Dirty
22-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Difficult to tell from the pics but looks like standard flaky engine paint which is sadly normal. Did at first suspect a battery leak but the frame around it looks fine.

kempy
22-02-2014, 10:34 PM
bought it, very pleased. quick spin when I got home, gonna take some getting used to but think im gonna love it. What should I expect to pay for a belt change and should I use a main dealer?

Dirty
22-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Glad you like it, welcome to the club :)

Belts are roughly £50 a set +/-, it's not too difficult to do yourself apparently, instruction vids on YouTube. Probably 2 hours labour charge from a garage so £100 - £140 at a independent. More at a dealer.

Is it just engine paint flake?

kempy
22-02-2014, 11:01 PM
yes, its just the normal paint flake, love the colour of the bike

Darren69
23-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Yes, it looked to be a fairly solid looking bike,well used and just in need of a bit of tlc?

Mr Gazza
23-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Congratulations...

Doing your own maintenance makes you more intimate with your bike, as you spot other things while you are down there. You get more satisfaction from it and save money.

I can recommend VHT paints available from John Woolfe Facing. They are very easy to use from aerosols, give a very good finish and come in a large range of colours.

Welcome to Monsterhood....:D

Darren69
23-02-2014, 10:20 AM
Yes, welcome. Gary's done a nice job on his engine paint, so the paint recommendation is a good one. I think there is a thread somewhere on here?

kempy
23-02-2014, 06:22 PM
yes the flaky paint is the only minus point really. haven't got the skills to take the engine out/apart. is there an easier remedy? rub down and touch up paint for fear of sounding like a real spanner:banghead:

Dirty
23-02-2014, 06:28 PM
yes the flaky paint is the only minus point really. haven't got the skills to take the engine out/apart. is there an easier remedy? rub down and touch up paint for fear of sounding like a real spanner:banghead:

Check out Gazza's thread. He did it with engine in situ. The masking off was a work of art in itself but don't mention the curtains :mand:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=47637

Mr Gazza
24-02-2014, 07:52 PM
When I did my cases i already had the footrest hangers and swinging arm removed so that made the clutch side much more accessable to mask and spray.
Having had a look, it seems possible to do it with the swingarm in place but it will be tricky to mask behind the pivot area.

Its easy enough to remove the alternator cover with the correct puller so thats what I did.
Be careful not to miss the screw that sits under the clutch slave...(as not how i know)

I managed to remove the screws from the clutch side cover without breaking the gasket seal, and replaced them with polished stainless after painting.

Preperation was just a good rub down with a purple scourer pad and a very thorough clean down with brake and clutch cleaner.
If you have flaked paint with white powdery oxide under, then you will have to go to bare metal at least in the area of the oxide. Then patch prime and rub down again so you can't see the edge of the repair, which might want to lift.

I used the VHT primer on mine which goes on very smoothly, and I used VHT clear gloss lacquer over the top of the Gold.

I was extra anal over the masking of the oil filler and oil pressure switch holes, so as not to get any prepping dust in there, and also careful when removing the tape to avoid any painty flakes slipping in.

Finally...take your time and enjoy the prepping and masking, but allow enough time to do all the paint coats in one hit with about ten minutes between coats...If you leave it longer you have to leave it for a week or something before you re-coat..

And it's John Woolfe Racing btw not Facing..:D