PDA

View Full Version : Been fiddling again ,,,

jerry
13-02-2014, 12:03 PM
after my failed S4 pod filter experiment , i suddenly remembered that i had a brand new spare Ducati performance S4 ECU in the back of my tool box , bought on Ebay 2 years ago as surplus stock from a defunct dealer it cost me £50 a bargain ,

so i ripped out my Power commander and original ECU and 10 minutes later all was running nicely ,, no problems with it was all plug an play .less of a rats nest under the tank now which is a bonus . My standard but much modified K&N airbox is back on not the pods i repaired it with duct tape and tie wraps a replacement is already on order ,checked the TPS ..still spot on ,,,,

Took the bike for a ride ,,,, yippeeee !!! its great ,, smooth as my custom maps in PC3 . just needed a little tweak on the airscrews from 1.25 turns out to 1.75 turns and the low speed running was sweeter before it bogged a bit between idle and 2.5k ,, DP ECU has raised the rev limit from about 9500rpm to somewhere north of 10250rpm ???? ran out of road before it got there power above 7k is MASSIVE but bike runs sweet at all revs and gear change transitions are smooth even with my gammy shoulders and hands which Dave the Torturer ( Chiropracter) is sorting ,
I have not had time to fit the 2 '' high risers I had made and the new fat bars and sourced some longer hoses , but the pain is tolerable for now although pins and neddlles are a swine at times ,i love this bike i dont want to part with it so when back i n thailand thats the next job , have to come to UK next week , doh!!! the weathers crummy .

Fuel consumption seems reasonable will know more by end of this weekend as its Pattaya bike week ,,,,sunny and hot loads of bikes in town

I was happy with the PC3 setup with all my custom maps but have to admit that someone at ducati really know his stuff when he did the mapping on the DP ECU the bike is even better now ,

Any one want a PC3 for an S4 ??????

Darren69
13-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Are you running a full Termi system on the bike? I have the DP ECU with full hi level system and have a PC3 aswell which I have found further improves the low speed fuelling below 3k, which made the bike kinda rough around 3k. Now with the PC3 re-mapping the <3k air/fuel mix, it is so much smoother.

jerry
13-02-2014, 02:26 PM
I hear what your saying Darren ,,,

I dont have the full DP 50mm down pipes but the Air box is swiss cheesed and K&N like the DP unit the cans are termis low level , but the restrictive standard down pipes probably help midrange and torque anyway , maybe my low end running too , i certainly dont need more oooommppff or top end , keeping the front end down is already a challenge maybe changing from the 42 rear sprocket to a 40 or 39 next time i change chain might help ????

by the way what is the rev limit i can expect ????
But if a set of 50mm down pipes turned up cheap though it wouldnt stop me experimenting more

Darren69
13-02-2014, 03:49 PM
They do come up on ebay from time to time. I think the problem I was having was due to the emissions testing which is done at 3000 rpm so they deliberatly set the mixture lean around there even on the DP chip and the problem was made worse because of the pipes.

LVC
13-02-2014, 05:05 PM
My S4 has DP ECU, open air box mod with K&N panel filter and low level termis, dropped the front sprocket to 14 teeth many moons ago - found this set-up to be the best of the best, very ride-able with loads of power right where you want it - difficult not to be a hooligan though, lol

wezrvf
13-02-2014, 09:19 PM
I thought this might have been about how to get out of paying taxes or something, bloody bikes again ;)

jerry
14-02-2014, 05:03 AM
LVC i went up on the back sprocket kept front 15 as it causes less chain wear went first to 43 then 42 at the back top end drops from about 150mph to 135mph but it gets ther much quicker and its real world top speed , and much better around town.

LVC
14-02-2014, 07:44 AM
LVC i went up on the back sprocket kept front 15 as it causes less chain wear went first to 43 then 42 at the back top end drops from about 150mph to 135mph but it gets ther much quicker and its real world top speed , and much better around town.

I understand the logic of the chain wear but recall reading somewhere that the front sprocket drop to 14 was something that Ducati had done originally and then went to 15 for the top end limit. It was mainly for town driving that I did it as raising the revs slightly for low speed work makes the bike so much more usable :mand:

I did the same mod on my Kawa but impossible to keep the front wheel down and MPG went silly so I put the original sprocket back :fou:

It's no doubt better for the chain to go up on the rear but changing the front is such an easy job to do that it was worth a quick fix that just seems to have lasted for over 6 years, lol :yoparty: