PDA

View Full Version : Swing arm pivot bearings

Dirty
06-02-2014, 06:13 PM
I'm going to be swapping over my swing arm soon and I was wondering if, whilst it's off, it's worth changing the bearings.

If it is does anyone know what size I need and any suggestions where to get them from?

Thanks

Mr Gazza
06-02-2014, 06:32 PM
I just had the swinging arm out of mine and mulled the same thing.

As for the size, that's easy as the bearings will have numbers and letters stamped in that identify it to a bearing supplier.
Just Google a local bearing stockist and then give them a visit with an old bearing.

As a bonus most bearing suppliers also stock rod ends for things like the suspension hoop and gear change linkage.

What I did in the finish was simply to get a pair of latex examination gloves on and inserted a greasy finger into the pivot hole. I then carefully rotated the rollers about 90degrees, and figured that would give me a fresh bit of bearing to go at, since the swinging arm probably only moves in an arc of about 10degrees or so, and there was no play evident anyway.

Seems to me to be a bit over engineered really...Four roller bearings.??

The tricky bit of re-installing the arm is getting the shims in place..Which you have to measure up for first.....

...It's no easy thing to get your greasy pin into the hole whilst holding up the legs with your other hand....:chuckle:

Pinch bolts should be tightened to 37Nm.

Dirty
06-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Thanks Gazza. I was hoping to get the bearings before I start the job so I don't end up with a bike in bits for days. Didn't realise there are 4! They are probably fine, mines only done 11k. Just figured whilst it was out.......

Mr Gazza
06-02-2014, 07:07 PM
My manual only shows two bearings, but from only one side...It certainly felt like two per side to me though..No play detectable at 22,000 miles.

The manual says to check the pin is straight using vee blocks and dial gauge.
Max permitted run out is 0.3mm.

Dirty
06-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Yeah they are not getting too stressed, as you say they probably only move about 10 degrees. If I can find a set in the next month I'll get them. If not I'll reuse the current ones.

Pin is not an issue as I'll be using a new one.

utopia
07-02-2014, 12:38 AM
Yep, this is probably one that breaks the general rule of "change it as a matter of course while you're in there".
If they feel ok, then new grease should be all you need.
On the other side of the coin, I think I would fit new rose bearings on the hoop as a matter of course.

Flip
07-02-2014, 03:09 AM
As Utopia says- I'd definitely replace the Rose Joints and take all the linkages apart and re-grease with the specified White (Marine) grease to ensure the suspension remains squeak free.

It's also a good time to adjust the Rose Joints out a couple of turns (or fit spacers from Louigi Moto) to lift the rear of the bike to stop it having so 'chopper like' steering and the improve turn in if you haven't already done so.

Kato
07-02-2014, 07:38 AM
If the pivot bearings have plenty of grease in them they will be OK, if however they are dry they will need changing, you'll see from the state of the pivot when you pull it out, I've seen them worn to oval in the past, to get the bearings out you'll need a blind bearing puller and a good bit of luck as they have a tendency to break up, if that happens you will have to split the engine cases and push them out from inside, 2 bearings and 2 seals per side plus circlip's if you break them or they ping off into oblivion

Ducati part Numbers

4 x 0755.49.265 Seal
4 x 76400.0004 Bearing
2 x 76266.2668 Circlip

Dirty
07-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Yep, this is probably one that breaks the general rule of "change it as a matter of course while you're in there".
If they feel ok, then new grease should be all you need.

Ok, thanks, excellent news considering Katos instructions :)

On the other side of the coin, I think I would fit new rose bearings on the hoop as a matter of course.
As Utopia says- I'd definitely replace the Rose Joints and take all the linkages apart and re-grease with the specified White (Marine) grease to ensure the suspension remains squeak free.

It's also a good time to adjust the Rose Joints out a couple of turns (or fit spacers from Louigi Moto) to lift the rear of the bike to stop it having so 'chopper like' steering and the improve turn in if you haven't already done so.

Good ideas. I've already got spacers and thought about changing the rose joints when I fitted them. I didn't though for 2 reasons. They felt fine and more importantly were easy to get at should they need fitting later. I might change them out now though. I used to have some in my ebay saved items list but they appear to have gone. If anyone can linky link to some good ones for me I'd be grateful.

Also the grease. Is it any white/marine grease or is the more expensive lithium stuff the one to get?

If the pivot bearings have plenty of grease in them they will be OK, if however they are dry they will need changing, you'll see from the state of the pivot when you pull it out, I've seen them worn to oval in the past, to get the bearings out you'll need a blind bearing puller and a good bit of luck as they have a tendency to break up, if that happens you will have to split the engine cases and push them out from inside, 2 bearings and 2 seals per side plus circlip's if you break them or they ping off into oblivion

Ducati part Numbers

4 x 0755.49.265 Seal
4 x 76400.0004 Bearing
2 x 76266.2668 Circlip

Aha thanks Kato. Sounds like a hell of a lot more work that I'd assumed. Thanks also for the pt numbers just in case. I'm hoping I won't need them though. I don't have a puller and don't fancy splitting the cases at all!

slob
07-02-2014, 10:27 PM
... I don't have a puller...

I do if you find you need the use of one.

Dirty
08-02-2014, 12:05 AM
I do if you find you need the use of one.

Nice, thanks. Think you might have a couple of special tools I'll need to borrow :)