PDA

View Full Version : 8x6 number plate.

richy
04-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Hi, just a quick question, whats the likelihood of being stopped by the police for having an 8" x 6" number plate on my m/c.

don_matese
04-02-2014, 02:27 PM
they probably wont notice but you may fail an MOT - the correct size of 9x7 is so close that you could shave the plate down a bit and no one would know on a cursory glance.

Paul_
04-02-2014, 03:35 PM
You won't get stopped.

The only reason you may get picked up for it is if you've been stopped for drawing attention to yourself, like doing wheelies/stoppies or burnouts and its another thing they can run you for.

zhango
04-02-2014, 04:15 PM
I was stopped by unmarked cop bike for speeding and he didn't mention the 8 x 6 plate or the loud exhaust.
He may have just been happy giving me a ticket for the speeding.
I've had the 8 x 6 for over eight years and I do swap it for mot test.

utopia
04-02-2014, 04:17 PM
I've had 8x6 plates on both my bikes for 6or7 yrs with no trouble at all, even at mot time.
The one on the monster is the original, shaved down to 8x6, and that even looks std at a casual glance.
The other one has slightly narrower digits, but still doesn't look like its taking the pxss. This one looks a little neater too.
8x6 is the sensible size for a bike, in my opinion. Perfectly big enough to be visible but much neater than the original, car sized monstrosities.
You'll be fine as long as you don't attract attention.

alan c
04-02-2014, 05:23 PM
same here, ive had 8x6 for years, go for it they look much better

serialrisk
04-02-2014, 08:03 PM
i was going to go for a 7x5, is that pushing my luck then?!!

bigredduke
04-02-2014, 08:14 PM
i was going to go for a 7x5, is that pushing my luck then?!!

Possibly, they are 'obviously' smaller & may attract attention. Why not go for 7.7 x 6.5? They are sometimes listed as Harley plates and depending on your reg no. they can fit legal sized characters on them. Looks very neat without being ridiculously small. I have a legal one for MOT's

Darren69
04-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Yep, I agree, you should be ok. It's the letter size that's more important and I think with that size you can get the standard letters on and it doesn't look small like you are taking the **** and trying to avoid the cameras etc. No problem with both of mine for many years even though one is made of carbon, and painted, which I think is a bit naughty these days but was made a few years ago.

When I did get a pull for riding a bit quickly on my 748 the cop didn't say anything and let me off with a warning just for speeding, think he just wanted to check the bike out! :)

buzzbomb
04-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Official size is 9x7 but I always go for 8x6, just make sure that the numbers and letters are64mm tall and 10mm apart.

I got fined 30 quid not for having an 8x6 but for the numbers and letters being 59mm admittedly the officer was an barstool, even told me he was a biker...:banghead:

Funny part was that he dropped his pen in suprise whilst writing out the form after I eventually got my gloves off and then removed my helmet only to expose a grey haired old fart and not the spotty kid he thought he'd stopped...:Furious:

Flip
04-02-2014, 09:20 PM
I had a 7x5 one on my GSX-R750 and a flexi 7x5 on my DR530 without problems and have had my 'letter box' one with 'Custom' font (can't remember what though) on my Monster for fourteen years with no bother.

Have also had a 6x4 six digit plate on a silly RD500 back in the day too, again with no issues.

For years the number plate wasn't part of the MoT for motorcycles but it is now and so will depend how bike friendly/if they know you as to whether you'll have to swap it over for it but that's only once a year if you do.

jerry
05-02-2014, 01:59 AM
Both my M750 and 750ss have 8x6 seems the best option
, been stopped for various types of hooliganism and road side checks by the ****stubles,and they never mention my plates nor do the MOT guys .

popelli
05-02-2014, 05:51 AM
just avoid Derbyshire, police there routinely stop bikes / vehicles using green lanes and issue tickets for anything they can - they even supply police with regulation size # plate characters so they can easily check out the legality of your plates

Dirty
05-02-2014, 01:48 PM
I've had a 7 x 5 on mine for 2 years and no issues, apart from on Monday I took the bike down to the local MOT guy to see if he'd have a problem with my exhaust. He didn't but he did ask me to fit a proper sized plate and reflector. His logic being that if VOSA pulled me on the way back he has no wriggle room regarding a plate. I figured £6 spent on a new plate is worth it to get it sorted half a mile from my house instead of having to ride miles.

richy
05-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all your replies.