PDA

View Full Version : Gear indicator for S4

technex
30-01-2014, 08:31 PM
I'm looking for a digital gear indicator for a 2001 S4, anyone got/seen this kind of thing?

Flip
31-01-2014, 12:58 AM
Just type it into eBay- there are loads on there from the £5 Hong Kong specials to the £50 Datatool versions.

You pays your money or you remember what gear you're in!!

Nickj
31-01-2014, 10:33 AM
They all essentially do the same thing or work the same way. A sensor has to be fixed somewhere and usually a magnet moves over it to trigger and add one to the total up to xth gear then it couts back down.
The problem is mounting them where the magnet can move enough to trigger the switch.
The chinese ones can work as well as the more expensive ones but the cheap ones don't come with custom mounts so you have to make it up yourself. So inveterate tinkerer's would get the cheaper ones.
Usually the chinese clones of electronics are direct copies of more expensive units with a lower quality control so you often need to tweak or reseal cases etc. Where they have a software element in the device itself again this will probably be a clone of the original.

Wasn't Utopia playing with one of these??

I find that if the motor is happy pulling or running along in the gear I'm in then it's the right gear. If it doesn't want to take off quickly then it's a gear too high. Then I don't have as much on tap goodness as an S4 or as much ability to slap the chain into oblivion trying to chuff off in the wrong gear.

LVC
31-01-2014, 01:36 PM
I've got one on the Z but don't think there was a magnet involved. I remember something about having to teach it which gear was which by running in gear at certain revs (on a stand).

Very useful for the Z as I often have no idea what gear I'm in - never needed it on the S4 though.

Mine's an Accumen DG8 like this one (very good quality and has been on over 5 years now in all weather, no problems) >>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acumen-DG8-Gear-Indicator-White-LED-/151205474015?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item23348c6edf

alan s4
31-01-2014, 04:08 PM
The issue I find with the S4 is knowing when you're in 6th gear - there isn't much of a jump between 5th and 6th and it's difficult to tell from revs to speed ratio. I often find myself reaching for another gear when I'm already in 6th. It doesn't help that the previous keeper put on a larger rear sprocket , I'm thinking of going back to standard size to reduce the revs when cruising.

LVC
31-01-2014, 06:06 PM
The issue I find with the S4 is knowing when you're in 6th gear - there isn't much of a jump between 5th and 6th and it's difficult to tell from revs to speed ratio. I often find myself reaching for another gear when I'm already in 6th. It doesn't help that the previous keeper put on a larger rear sprocket , I'm thinking of going back to standard size to reduce the revs when cruising.

I went a tooth down on the front sprocket and it transformed the S4 - so much nicer to ride in towns and still plenty fast enough for the open road - thoroughly recommend it.

I use the "if I'm at X speed and Y revs then I must be in top" (can't remember the exact figures tbh) but still occasionally doubt myself and go for 7th gear, lol :biggrin:

damien666
31-01-2014, 06:29 PM
i'm also guilty of going for 7th gear quite often. :look:

Dirty
31-01-2014, 06:48 PM
I haven't got a 7th gear????????? :confused: That explains a lot actually! :dizzy:

Black Bob
31-01-2014, 07:52 PM
I'm looking for an S4 to go with my digital gear indicator.

How bloody spooky is that?

(Actually I'm not really because I think S4's are disgusting.)

technex
01-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Does the ECU not know what gear you're in? I was thinking more along the lines of something plugged into that than a simple up/down counter for the gear lever. Mainly interested because I think my bike might be hopping a couple of gears at a time on some shifts and I'd like to be able to see what's going on.

Weirdness might also be clutch related, it was seized when I bought the bike and had to be disassembled and the plates pried apart as she hadn't been ridden in a while and was sat in an unheated workshop so the damp had gotten in.