PDA

View Full Version : Metric Tap and Die set.

Mr Gazza
28-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Rather chuffed with my latest purchase, so I though I would share it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000K2TC7K/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

I picked this one out as it has 3 taps per size as a proper set should have.
The sizes are just right for a Monster, with the exception of the 1mm thread rates found on the Brembo brakes and some fork fasteners, but they would be a special buy anyway.

I though the price was okay for what I got. The set retails for £40 elsewhere, and someone was already bidding higher than the Amazon price for a set on Ebay..??

Nicely presented in a metal box too, and the quality seems plenty good enough for home use.

Worth a punt just to put in the cupboard..?

Funkatronic
28-01-2014, 05:24 PM
ha snap :-)
mine arrives 2moro!

should have looked harder clearly, yours is a couple of quid cheaper than mine

Albie
28-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Always useful in my garage. I paid about £20 for one 6-7 years ago but that one holds the taps better than mine. I need some finer taps now though.

Mr Gazza
28-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Best price I could find...hence the heads up..:biggrin:

Amazon often seem to undercut Ebay these days...No accident methinks.?

utopia
28-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Well you can't go wrong at that price.
It works out at about 65p per piece, with the case (which is really handy) thrown in and free delivery too.
The only comment I would make is that those look like they are solid dies, not split, so you won't be able to adjust the cut.
I've used similar looking dies recently, without a lot of success.
However, it did occur to me at the time that you could probably split these yourself.
Those really thin (red), dremel cutting discs seem to cut tool steel surprisingly effectively.
I've used them recently to rough out some lathe tools from square stock, and they worked extremely well.
Also they don't seem to generate a lot of heat (or at least its very concentrated) so there's little chance of affecting the metallurgy.
They're brittle little buggers, mind.

It would still be a good buy at the price though, even if you ended up replacing a few dies with better ones.

SpeeLaT
28-01-2014, 06:59 PM
https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-9th-january/products-detail-page/ps/p/tap-and-die-set/

Comes with drill set too I think I paid £13 for it at my local Aldi Advertised at €19 Quality is OK and it does the job.

Darren69
28-01-2014, 07:01 PM
The dremel cutting disks are pretty good, but like you say they're very brittle and can shatter without a second thought. They cut through ally and carbon like butter. The hole in the centre seems to be the weak point as they always seem to break across this no matter. Always wear goggles!

zhango
28-01-2014, 07:15 PM
A bit naughty of Amazon to imply these are German tools when they are made in China.
Let us know how many threads you can cut in stainless.

Dirty
28-01-2014, 07:42 PM
The only comment I would make is that those look like they are solid dies, not split, so you won't be able to adjust the cut.

Utopia what does this mean? Why are split dies better?

Mr Gazza
28-01-2014, 09:54 PM
A split die is cut from the centre to the outside, so you can tighten the die onto the work (bit like the split in a fork yoke) in order to increase the clearance between nut and bolt as it were. Or it can used to work down to the desired size in increments until a sweet fitting thread is achieved.

The solid dies just cut one size at one rate.

It's no big deal to slit them if needed, but I am more interested in the taps anyway.
Externally threaded items tend to be replacable...Bolts usually, so the dies may not get much use.

Not holding out too much hope for mass Stainless Steel thread cutting with these..:chuckle:
I will be mostly using them for cleaning out locktite and powder coating gunge ect.

Albie
28-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Also helps just opening up to clean bolts of paint or rust prior to replating. Sometimes you can close down because plating adds a bit of thickness. I wouldn't be without a set now.. Amount of nuts and bolts saved from binning over the years and restoring. They tend to become valuable eventually especially with numbers on the top.

utopia
28-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Dirty, if you look at the pic in the ebay link, at the die stock (ie holder) at the bottom of the case, you'll see that it has three screws in the side.
The two outer ones locate into dimples in the outside dia of the die, to stop it turning.
The central one has a pointed tip which engages with the slot and wedges the die open as you screw it in.
The method is to start with the slot wedged open a little, then reduce it progressively until the thread is cut to the correct size.
You might think that a die could be ground to the correct size in the first place, but in practice different materials will cut differently, different cutting fluids will make a difference, etc.
Oh, and just like tapping, its easy to get the threads running out of true, in fact much more so with external threads cut with a die. I usually screwcut mine in the lathe, which keeps them true, then just finish off with a die to tidy up the thread form.

Funkatronic
29-01-2014, 01:05 AM
im not expecting engineering greatness, the ability to clean and touch up mildly damaged threads is all it will get used for

Flip
29-01-2014, 02:48 AM
For just cleaning up threads I prefer to use a kit like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THREAD-REPAIR-TOOL-KIT-METRIC-TAP-DIE-AND-RETHREADERS-/181019854009?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a259fc4b9

Much less likely to cause damage by accidently cutting a 'new' thread (particularly on studs and bolts etc.) in my experience.

Dirty
29-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the explanations guys. :mand:

Drumnagorrach
29-01-2014, 06:36 PM
I might add ,that if you want to cut a thread on a bar and have access to a lathe,use the tailstock face to hold the die at 90 deg to the bar,take the chuck out of gear and as you turn the chuck to start the die cutting,keep pressure on with the tailstock to follow the cutting progress of the die.