PDA

View Full Version : *S2R 800 owners*

jdp683
28-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Hi everyone.
Well I joined the site recently when I bought a 2005 S2R 800. Now the bike is great but having done a bit of research after riding it I have a few questions?
ARE THE FRONT BRAKES RUBBISH ON ALL S2R 800's?????? :banghead: :cry: :toilet::ukm:
If so what is the best cure for this?
New master cylinder? (if so off which donor ducati)
New calipers? (if so off which donor ducati)
Better Pads and discs? If so what sort?
Or better brake fluid/ braided hoses?
I saw on our fellow monster (states side) website that a lot of guys change the whole lot. (master cylinder, calipers, discs etc) But this may turn out to be expensive? :eek:
Is there the system off another Ducati which will bolt straight onto the existing caliper mounts?
All help is appreciated.
Many thanks in eager anticipation.
John :ukm:

pegboy
28-01-2014, 10:17 AM
You might want to contact Funkatronic as I beleive he may have some goodies for your upgrade??

jdp683
28-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Cheers Pegboy will do!!!

Fatal
28-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Hi John, you could try going slower:worried:, but that would be rude:thumbsup:

Mine came with Goldline Brembo P4 calipers on 320mm discs, so I'm not a lot of help, as I have never ridden one in standard spec,

Alan H

jdp683
28-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Hi Fatal thanks for the advice? LOL
Yeah that seems to be a common mod for S2R's. I take it you have a different master cylinder? Not the coffin original type??
I take it you have no problems with your brakes?
Cheers John

Dave G
28-01-2014, 10:58 AM
The OE brakes aren't that bad, they just need a bit more input than the goldlines.
You can still wash out the front with them if you're ham fisted enough.

That said I replaced mine a few years ago but have so far kept my original masters( I have a replacement set in the garage but haven't got around to installing them yet). You'll need a set of 320mm/10mm offset discs and 65mm mount goldline calipers and new lines if you want to upgrade

Any 65mm mount calipers from 916/996, SS, ST,monster will fit, likewise the discs from the same.

Gilps
28-01-2014, 10:58 AM
The standard setup is rather wooden. It does work if you pull hard enough. The problem lies in not knowing how hard to pull as there is so little feedback.

Essentially, you will need to change the discs from the stock 300mm ones to 320mm discs, common to many Dukes. Then you will need to replace the calipers. Many fit the Goldline ones. I fitted P4/34 from a 749. These are better than the Goldlines but are more powerful. I don't ride in the wet much but if I did I think I would rather have the Goldlines as less chance of locking up. They give great feel though.

You may need to change the brake lines too. I kept mine and with a little manipulation they worked fine. I kept the original master cylinder.

The front forks are a bit rubbish too but this is masked a little by the lousy brakes. Once you have upgraded the brakes you may well find that the poor suspension gets overwhelmed and needs sorting too, but it's not obligatory.

jdp683
28-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Many thanks Dave G and Gilps for the heads up. Just on Fleabay now having a nose about!!!
Much appreciated :)

jdp683
28-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Hi Gents,
looks like Funkarama has my bits and bobs for my conversion at a very good price. Just need to find some discs and I'll be good to go!!
Many thanks for your help everyone!!!
:)

Dirty
28-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Or just buy an anchor!

Martin Duke
05-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Hi everyone.
Well I joined the site recently when I bought a 2005 S2R 800. Now the bike is great but having done a bit of research after riding it I have a few questions?
ARE THE FRONT BRAKES RUBBISH ON ALL S2R 800's?????? :banghead: :cry: :toilet::ukm:
If so what is the best cure for this?
New master cylinder? (if so off which donor ducati)
New calipers? (if so off which donor ducati)
Better Pads and discs? If so what sort?
Or better brake fluid/ braided hoses?
I saw on our fellow monster (states side) website that a lot of guys change the whole lot. (master cylinder, calipers, discs etc) But this may turn out to be expensive? :eek:
Is there the system off another Ducati which will bolt straight onto the existing caliper mounts?
All help is appreciated.
Many thanks in eager anticipation.
John :ukm:

Agreed they aren't brilliant, but they can be improved considerably without too much hassle. Make sure the fluid is new and that the rear pistons are clean and moving freely, likewise on each of the front calipers - ensure the sliding portion is clean and free to move.
Huge improvement from replacing the pads! I'd just replaced the rear tyre and checked the OE pads before putting the wheel in - they were down to the indicator groove, however the front OE pads were barely worn. I bought the bike with 3500 miles on it; it now had 10,800
so I'm sure the pads were those fitted at the Ducati factory. Maybe the compound of the front pads just doesn't generate enough friction to wear, which isn't going to help them stop very well!?

Pads recommended by Louigi Moto are made by LUCAS TRW - part No. below;

Front MCB 648 SI (two sets)
Rear MCB 075 (one set) Check these, there may be variations in the caliper fitted.

They are a massive improvement - the rear I had no complaints about anyway, but the front is transformed - much more feel and stopping power!

jdp683
05-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Hi Martin Duke,
cheers for the info, especially on the pads.
I have the 916 calipers, pads and new hoses coming from funkarama. I also got some info off funkarama so I had a massive choice of 320mm discs to use. So went on Fleabay and got a pair of discs hardly used for £75. so all in all good brake upgrade for about £200!!!
I'll let everyone know how they feel when I get them fitted!!! :-)