PDA

View Full Version : 796 running rough - Fuelling issues?

Davidg1230
28-01-2014, 10:00 AM
So, I've had the bike since September and everything was running really well until a few months before Christmas. The bike has begun to run really badly when at low revs, say around 3k and in 2nd gear and it will hiccup whilst on a light throttle. The issue will go when I accelerate hard but the spluttering occurs when the bike is cold or warm?

I've tried several things so far, 14t sprocket to help with low speed smoothness, 02 eliminators, but these made no difference. I've had the bike at Rosso Corse for a once over and for Ray to set the bike up properly. He agreed that it was running badly and adjusted everything to could and check the plugs and filters etc.

Things are still bad and I've put the oem cans back on, taken off the 02 eliminators but still having no luck. My latest thoughts are to try and see if it the fuelling that's the issue. As a process of elimination I've done the following;

1. Refuel with Shell standard and Optimax fuel - result: no difference
2. Will try another fuel, will go to BP on my next fill up
3. Think about adding some fuel additive?

I have the bike outside under cover all year and thinking that the current damp spell we've had for the past 4 months is causing moisture to get in somewhere and making the bike misfire? Am I resigned to have this issue during the winter months because the bike ran fine for the first few months when the weather was warmer?

Has anyone else experienced rough riding at the moment due to the weather or is there something wrong with the bike? Can someone recommend a fuel additive to try also, thanks.

Jan (Belgium)
28-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Did you check the fuel filter, as this is no longer in the service instructions for the newer models?
For the service of my bike (M1100S - 2009) I changed from Ducati dealerships to a guy around the corner that does Ducati and the Fuel filter he showed me after servicing my bike (36.000km interval) was completely black = never changed before.

After that it ran a whole lot better :)

Davidg1230
28-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Good point Jan. I've just spoken to Ray who will look at the bike on Thursday and he agrees it might be a fuelling issue and thus several things to check out like the filter, fuel lines etc.

Fingers crossed.

MrH
25-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Ok, so heres something similiar or not. Ive never had a twin before but after many years I finally took delivery of my 796 back in October. Now I dont know if its me or just the way things are but I find my 796 really lumpy at very low speeds, ie, pulling away or above walking pace. Its noticeable in slow moving traffic or when negotiating roundabouts...? Is this something that will get better once ive got alot more mileage on the bike, its now ready to go in for its 600 mile service, or is it just the way it is?
BTW, I do love the bike!

Davidg1230
25-03-2014, 02:51 PM
My experience is not quite the same. The low speed lumpiness you describe might just be the gearing and the engine revs being too low? The bike will stutter on revs below 1500rpm. I've fitted a smaller 14t front sprocket to help with low speed riding but generally I try and keep around 2500-3000 rpm when at low speeds. You're bike is very new so things could loosen up but I have heard some reports that the 796 suffers from poor fuelling.

Do you notice any stuttering on a light throttle when travelling at say 30mph? whilst I still notice this on my bike, the bike is so much better now since the weather has got warmer and the air temperature is say above 10 degrees and it's not as damp as it has been.

I'm still wondering what to do with my bike and what the problem might be. I'm now thinking ECU or Lambda sensors?

Denmorered
29-05-2014, 04:31 AM
Hi there,
New to the forum but this post has caught my eye.
I have a new 796 with just over 300 miles on the clock and have similar issues with rough running at low speeds. At first I thought it was fuelling as was doubtful there could be something wrong with what is a new bike so I have run several tank of fuel through of differing brands with the performance fuels used laterally but no avail. I am also finding it somewhat temperamental to start with occasions where it needs a number if attempts to catch. I am not new to ducatis by the way having owned from new for 13 years including a 696 from last year (until it was nicked!)
Interested to find out how you get on...
PS dealer (who is 150 miles away) seems to indicate that it just might be "tight" and will clear with some miles under it (but surely I should enjoy and not endure a new bike?)

HereticBalloon
03-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Good point Jan. I've just spoken to Ray who will look at the bike on Thursday and he agrees it might be a fuelling issue and thus several things to check out like the filter, fuel lines etc.

Fingers crossed.

Did you get a result on the issue?

I have the same issue, at low speed, I am use to it now but it certainly hasn't gone after 1000+miles.

Davidg1230
04-06-2014, 07:54 AM
Well, after leaving the bike with Rosso Corse for a week, they had stripped the bike down several times and checked over all the likely culprits to find the fault. Once they had the bike warm it ran beautifully and sweet as a nut, but the next day it would be the same again and be lumpy with a slight misfire and hesitant stutter at low speeds until it was fully warmed up again. I took the bike away and tried to live with it for a few months.

I took the bike back in to repair a broken gear lever spring and discussed with Ray about taking the cylinder heads off and re-seating/replacing the valves as Ray had spoken to Ducati who advised him that this was the most likely cause of the bikes issues. Anyway I felt this was too much cost as I had already pumped over £1,400 since last september into the bike to get to running properly and couldn't face another bill so the bike has been traded in.

I'm now the owner a brand new 2014 bike supplied from another manufacturer and loving it. I'm no longer a Ducati owner:cry:. A shame, as I miss the character of the monster, but I certainly don't miss the bills and running costs/issues.

Dirty
04-06-2014, 08:30 AM
I'm now the owner a brand new 2014 bike supplied from another manufacturer and loving it. I'm no longer a Ducati owner:cry:. A shame, as I miss the character of the monster, but I certainly don't miss the bills and running costs/issues.

Out of interest what did you go for?

Davidg1230
04-06-2014, 09:51 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/davidg1230/DSC_0074.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/davidg1230/media/DSC_0074.jpg.html)

The engine is soulless, but everything else is perfect. I needed something less stressful in terms of ownership and running costs for the next few years. Loving the riding position so will definitely upgrade to a Multistrada in a few years time!

Dirty
04-06-2014, 12:06 PM
Love the exhaust and the sideways/open spring.

Have fun, you'll be back eventually, everyone comes back eventually :)

MacLarenLad
17-06-2014, 01:39 PM
My "almost new" Monster (631 miles on the clock when I picked it up) similarly splutters a bit at low revs and walking speed, especially soon after starting, despite running the engine to warm the oil while I kit up as advised.
I was putting it down to my novice status as a rider but will pay more attention to it now and see if it improves once the bike really warms up or if I can manage it with higher revs.

jerry
08-07-2014, 11:39 AM
My "almost new" Monster (631 miles on the clock when I picked it up) similarly splutters a bit at low revs and walking speed, especially soon after starting, despite running the engine to warm the oil while I kit up as advised.
I was putting it down to my novice status as a rider but will pay more attention to it now and see if it improves once the bike really warms up or if I can manage it with higher revs.

To run correctly at low revs it needs fueling mods ,,, they are handicapped by emmission regs at the factory ,,,,

Darren69
08-07-2014, 01:02 PM
To run correctly at low revs it needs fueling mods ,,, they are handicapped by emmission regs at the factory ,,,,

Yep, I agree with Jerry was told the same thing. Its hunting around 3k because its so lean. A PCIII and dyno sorted mine, its not perfect but its a whole lot better than it was.

With more dyno time it could be better still, but I'm happy with it now, its a lot smoother chugging through traffic around town.