PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Highlands

NST Paul
25-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Hello all. Thought I should introduce myself now that I have joined the ranks of Monster owners. My name is Paul and I am located in a wee village on the Black Isle in the Highlands of Scotland, in fact the next street along from Ali who was selling his M900 on here. Aye, I bought his bike ( sorry to anyone that was after it :) ). I've had about 40 bikes in my time from 100 cc 2-strokes through Bandits up to hyper sports but this is my first Ducati so hopefully it will treat me well !

Have already started on the slippery slope of modification so will keep posting updates and asking stupid questions :o

Going to try posting some pics so hopefully will work.

Cheers the noo, Paul

BeePee
25-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Ha! Not funny :)

Drumnagorrach
25-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Anywhere near Kulbokie, I have ridden over to Applecross with a Guzzi owner from there, Mark Birks,I think is his name.
I also just got a Monster ,last Saturday,just wish there wasn't so much crap on the roads here in Moray,the bike is so tidy I don't want to get salt/****e on it.
Did your monster come from Fraserborough ?I saw one just like it for sale last year.

NST Paul
25-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Sorry BeePee, I hope you find what your after mate :), used to live down your way about 12 years ago in a wee village called Straiton, some good biking roads down there.

Drumnagorrach, Culbokie is exactly where I'm from but just moved here a couple of months ago from a village 10 miles away so don't know anyone here yet. Bought the bike from a lad Ali who had it advertised on here and Gumtree, he lives about a hundred metres away from me so just went round and knocked on door as I knew it would go quick!! He had it for a few years so would have been a different one you saw. Would like to get out on it but the weather and injured arm from mountain bike fall is preventing it :(

Cheers

Grumpy
25-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Welcome aboard.
I visited the Black Isle about 5 years ago, whilst on holiday near Inverness. Thats a beautiful area of the world.
Enjoy the bike, on the roads round you, it's going to be a hoot!

Mohawk
25-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Welcome Paul. You're from a lovely part of the world. (I would say that, I was born near Lairg!) :-)

BeePee
25-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Sorry BeePee, I hope you find what your after mate :), used to live down your way about 12 years ago in a wee village called Straiton

Cheers

Used to belt about the Galloway hills on quads and pass through there, Barr Barrhill and the like,
No worries bud, miscommunication was what happened that's all. Whitsfurye'llnogobyeye as ma gran used to say :)

NST Paul
10-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Well, a wee update on Monster ownership so far. Gave the bike a belt change ( hardest part was trying to get the upper belt cover off and out!), changed the oil (used a K&N oil filter), went to change the air filter but found it had a K&N and drilled air box lid already fitted (bonus ) and the fuel filter, although this came as a straight inlet/outlet unlike the one on the bike which had a 90 degree bend on the outlet end. Not happy about the bends in the supply hoses with the new one fitted, and also does not fit in the designated bracket so have ordered a 'proper' one. Fitted a new front brake switch as the old one was intermittent to say the least! Took off all the carbon parts and sanded them down,then re-lacquered as were very faded. Tinted the rear flush mounted indicators that are fitted to the rear carbon fibre tea tray arrangement but will be ordering some proper ones as never look or function right when done with spray paint. New number plate as old one was a bit tatty and that always makes a bike look uncared for. Gave it a proper deep clean and found when doing the chain and sprockets that it had a 14t front ( another bonus ) Removed the carbon hugger as had been worn through at the edge due to having a 180 tyre fitted. Will probably not replace this but just put a shock sock on instead as prefer the look without. Finally fitted a new tyre to replace the mismatched rear and ready to go :) Still a few wee jobs to be done but but anything after that would involve a full strip down / rebuild and would rather spend some time riding it

Finally got out for half hour today once the rain stopped and roads dried out, still salty as hell though and freezing cold (spent twice as long cleaning it after......)

General impressions are good seeing as not willing to push my luck with road conditions and new tyre, sounds ace with induction and exhaust noise even with earplugs but bound to be almost obnoxious to bystanders. Swings through bends nicely with a good riding position for me although may have to fiddle with fork settings a bit as dives a fair bit under braking. Nice torquey engine with character although lacks power compared to what I have previously had, but then again that's not what it's about. Looks like it will be perfect for general kicking about with open face, jacket and jeans ( controversial I know but I am a grown up and can make my own choices) or for longer faster runs with all the appropriate safety gear ;)

May even try a wee bit of touring on it as have the bikini screen as well,only takes 10 minutes to refit and I reckon will make a lot of difference on on a long run.

Anyway, enough rambling on, away to look at the long range forecast in the hope of better weather to come :)

Cheers the noo.

boris
10-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Hello Paul, and also, just to add my welcome to the Club. Good for you that you've managed to get out, especially rewarding after being such a busy lad. The roads are still pants on this side of the Firth, and the major works on the A96 around Forres are not helping at all. Still, each day dawns closer to the spring. Saying that though, last April we had a wad of snow over this way...