PDA

View Full Version : Hiya.... On my perfect Monster Hunt

SteveG
24-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Hi all

Recently joined UKMOC when I made the decision to move on from sports bikes.. was it the knackered left wrist?, increasingly aching back?? or something ( beer fueled probably :scratch:) getting between me and the" crouched over the tank arse in air" sports pose...????

OK.OK. Face up to it- I've got old and flabby and lost the sports bike urge.. so the Daytona and the Ducati 750SS just had to go and I started looking for something more upright and befitting of a gent my age. Once I had decided a BSA Bantam was just going too far the choice fell between a Speed 1050 and the Monster.. and that brought me here.

So.. Its either an S4R or an S2R - I prefer the 2004~07 ish era looks, just can't fall in love with the newer stuff for some reason... I can't decide on the S2R 1000 or 800, sounds like both are for sure more than adequate although the power hike on the S4R has obvious added appeal..:)

Me - I'm a southern softy - based near Reading. Wet day riding is out by choice these days, Mrs might come on the back but scared her witless on the Daytona (purely accidental heavy throttle / rise in road and avoiding idiot driver outmaneuver all conspired to leave her feet up under my armpits and screaming furiously...so can't blame her really)

Budget is in the £4 to £4.5k range... not worried about the service cost difference on S4/S2's. The for sale forum brought me to the site but I sadly missed Desmo's S2R by a whisker... but never mind I'll keep looking.

I'll no doubt be seeking advice and poking around the forum both before - and hopefully after - I find me my "Perfick" Monster.

Cheers all

Steve

m40uke
24-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Hi ya fella

Custom monster or a nice standard model

uksurfer
24-01-2014, 07:55 PM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=48530

cracking bike

Dirty
24-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Hello good evening and welcome

Good luck in your search

Flip
25-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Welcome along-

Personally I prefer the look and torqueyness (is that a word?) of the air cooled bikes over the ones with plumbing but as you said, their overall power cannot be ignored.

Maybe you need to find somewhere with a couple in stock and test ride both before making your mind up.

Not sure you're right about the Bantams though.....too far the other way maybe?? (I'm a bit of classic racing fan!!)

Mr Gazza
25-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Hello and welcome.

I love a good Monster hunt.

I am a fan of the original shape Monsters, but I have warmed to the S2R recently because of the very arty picture on the January page of the UKMOC calender.

I rode an S4 when they first came out, and marvelled at how crisp it was in every respect compared to my M900 at the time.

These days I would not tolerate the extra service costs and thirsty MPG of the 4 valver, so an S2R would be my first choice.

800 or 1000.....Doh!! I dunno...Any way you should get a real peach for your budget..Happy hunting.

Keep us posted.

gary tompkins
26-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Steevo's S2 1000 is a lot of monster for the money

SteveG
27-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Thanks all for the friendly greets and advice! Planning on checking out an S4R this next weekend and riding back to back with an S2R1000... TBH the extra power isn't really needed (but....well, you know...) and the fuel costs aren't a worry for "fun" use. .. but that lunking radiator does detract a bit.. Oh well. Lets just see what happens...grin factor will swing it I think..

Dirty
27-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Fuels costs are a bit 'meh' in my mind but then I don't commute or do long distances. Service costs on the 4 valves are much higher though so that's something to bear in mind.

gary tompkins
27-01-2014, 11:28 PM
You should still get close to 50mpg out of the 1000 motor - unless ridden hard

m40uke
28-01-2014, 06:50 AM
I've just been hit for just under a grand for a service on a s4r from Ducati jhp.

It's for belts. Valve check. Oil and filter. Plus was £110 for a new battery.

Bike had only done 438 miles in two years

SteveG
28-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the words of wisdom on the running costs. Fuel for thought.. 'scuse the pun. .. :)

Albie
28-01-2014, 08:09 PM
You will never get the buzz of a desmo Quattro plumbed in a desmo due lol but you get a huge kick from the aircooled 1000's and generally more power than necessary.
I went from 900 to S4 and back to 1100s and don't really miss the extra grunt because it was far too powerful for my skills and tbh so is the 1100s. The bills are certainly less and I get 150 miles to the tank generally out of mine.
If you can afford the services or when things go wrong which is rare go for raw power. Plenty of plumbed users on here that will never go aircooled.

m40uke
28-01-2014, 08:50 PM
The service bills are a discrace. Buy an older one and do them yourself

Ild never buy another or new ducati for this reason

SteveG
07-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Well.. the hunt is over. Having checked out the forum, checked out an S2R and an S4R and looked at a dog on ebay I finally decided on........ Steve O's lovely M900. Ace bike, Ace bloke and it is sooooooooooooooooooo good to be back on a Ducati again. Will be a regular on the forum and will no doubt be getting to an event or two whenever possible. Thanks all for the tips and advice. Hope to see you around! Steve G

Darren69
07-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Yes that is a nice M900, shame you didn't get all the bling with it. Still plently of bits and bobs about on here should you wish to put it back to how it was previously?

Mr Gazza
08-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Congratulations. Well done for choosing a proper 900...God bless, and all who sail in her..:spin: