PDA

View Full Version : How to change throttle cable

ChickenBullet
13-01-2014, 10:28 AM
My throttle cable has snapped so I bought a new one, I have replaced most of it but am getting stuck on fitting the last end under the fuel tank. What will I have to do to fit the last end of the throttle cable under the fueltank? Sorry I haven't explained it that well but I don't know how to explain it better.

Any help would be great!

Chickenbullet

sapone cremoso
13-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Hey Chicken,

You just sort of push the barrel on the end of the cable sideways into the D shaped metal/plastic rotating plate, hope this helps.

ChickenBullet
13-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Hello,

I don't recall seeing one. You do mean under the tank and not the throttle grip don't you?

jonzi
13-01-2014, 12:15 PM
I think that it will be attached some where within the red circle.

(If I understand you correctly)

http://i.imgur.com/fklvsvf.jpg

ChickenBullet
13-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Yes I think so too, does that mean I have to take the carb out to fit it ?

jonzi
13-01-2014, 12:36 PM
I don't think you have to

You might find it easier to start at the carb end. Attach the cable there, then do the throttle.

Or at least loosen things up at the throttle end. (if possible)

A Haynes manual would be able to give you a better description.

I won't have access to my copy till at least Wednesday night, so if you are still stuck with it then lemme know and ill copy the pages and send them on.

utopia
13-01-2014, 12:47 PM
You shouldn't need to do that.
The cable locations are shown at the very bottom of the red circle on Jonzi's pic.
You may need to screw the adjusters fully in at the throttle end to create enough slack in the cables to allow them to be fitted.
Afterwards, adjust the pulling cable first, until there is just a slight amount of slack when the throttle is closed.
Then adjust the closing cable likewise, but possibly leaving a fraction more slack.
In both cases use the adjuster at the carb end (if there is one) for the major adjustment, leaving the ones at the throttle end for fine adjustment.
However, it might help to start with the adjusters at the throttle screwed out very slightly, say one turn, so that you have the option for later fine adjustment in either direction.

Test that the throttle returns fully and sharply, making sure that it doesn't stiffen up when the bars are turned to full lock, both sides.
If there is any stiffness, try putting a little more slack in the closing cable.
If its still stiff, check that your cable routing is exactly the same as it was originally.

When tightening the throttle grip to the handlebars, note that the correct procedure is to tighten the upper screw first, then the lower.
Doing it the other way around may cause the throttle to stick a little.

The above is written off the top of my head, rather than quoting any accepted procedure from the manual, but it should be pretty much on the money.
Hope it helps.

Dirty
13-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Loving the diagram Jonzi :chuckle:

Scotty
13-01-2014, 06:22 PM
I remember doing this a couple of times

a complete and utter bastard and when id managed the carb end I found I had the cables the wrong way round and had to do it again :(

have fun

pompone
13-01-2014, 08:59 PM
You'll have to remove the carbs to do the job without turning the air blue. And I'll attac the throttle and then the carbs.

pompone
13-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Loving the diagram Jonzi :chuckle:

Nothing scream precision like a red circle "there or thereabout"

gary tompkins
13-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Removing carbs usually means taking a lot of other bits off first

Battery, coils, airbox etc.. so it's not a 5 minute job at all

ChickenBullet
14-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Thanks for all the replys, I will be attempting this on the weekend. I will keep you posted.

Dirty
14-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Nothing scream precision like a red circle "there or thereabout"

So true.

Just in case, I've uploaded a useful diagram pinpointing the carbs :biggrin:

http://s28.postimg.org/5uhgvpkwt/ducati_monster_m900_1993_1999_l.jpg

jonzi
14-01-2014, 03:49 PM
That's the spare wheel.

pompone
14-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Found a picture for Dan :D
http://thescienceofeating.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Book-Carbohydrates-Header.jpg

jonzi
14-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Carbs are the devil

Dennis menace
14-02-2014, 12:58 PM
It's bad enough even with the carbs off! :Furious:

I fitted mine last week only to find one cable frayed in the throttle grip. Fitting new cables this weekend.
Fit the cbales in the throttle end, make sure the adjusters are fully wound in. Route the cables correctly to the carb. At the carb end, with the adjusters backed off fully and not located in their holder, fit the 'return' cable first - getting the nipple located is the hardest part (isn't it always!) I can't see how you can do this with the carbs in place unless you are a gyneocologist. Make sure the return cable is the correct side of the bar that joins both carbs.
Locate the other cable nipple, you might try rotating the pully by hand to make the nipple locator easier to reach. Locate the cable ajusters, it helps if the nut at the carb end is off the threads until the screw portion is in the holder, locate the nut on the screw thread.
Take the slack out of both cable using the adjusters - not too much or it will open the butterfly in the carbs. Fit the choke cable at the carb end and re-attach the carbs. Check for smooth operation of the throttle. Some slack can be taken out of the cables using the adjusters at the throttle end. Haynes manual is useless on this (and many other) topics e.g. 'Fit wiring harness correctly'!

pompone
14-02-2014, 08:53 PM
I can't see how you can do this with the carbs in place unless you are a gyneocologist.

Well I have found my next career then :D

gary tompkins
14-02-2014, 10:53 PM
If you think that's bad...

Try adjusting the valve shims on a Honda NC30 :nash:

slob
14-02-2014, 10:59 PM
gear driven cams gary?