PDA

View Full Version : Pondering the Calendar

Mr Gazza
09-01-2014, 08:53 PM
I have two UKMOC Calendars, one at work and one near my PC at home.
So I spend quite a bit of time distantly pondering the very nice image on it.

It's easy on the eye, and teaches me a little about the evolution of the Monster beyond it's initial form, as my understanding beyond the "hooped" models is very patchy.

I love the Photo of the S2R. The background is so January...That's just what it looks like out there just now...Black and White..!

I wouldn't put a belly pan or fairing on my bike but this one wears them well. I had wondered if the Red/White colours of the early SS would transfer to a Monster, and in this case it certainly does.

I can see how the S2R is an incremental step in the evolution. It still has the original Monster frame in essence, with only a very little modification, and I still recognise the seat and tank.
But that appears to be an all new 2 valve engine, and the trademark footrest hangers have gone, along with half of the swinging arm.

I still prefer the look of three spoke wheels to five, and I do like low level exhausts as I think the big gap under the seat is another trademark of the Monster, but.... I still wouldn't kick this particular S2R out of bed for farting....

..Nice to drift into a good picture..:D...Another three weeks to go aswell.

smiffyraf1
09-01-2014, 09:00 PM
ha ha ive been doing the same! it is a lovely s2r! think this calendar is going to be dangerous as currently all the watched items on my ebay are monsters

Albie
09-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Carry On Pondering its all good.

utopia
09-01-2014, 09:25 PM
It is indeed a very good shot.
I very nearly posted the same comment myself a few days ago.
The quality of the light, the sharpness, and the way the composition leaves the bike very much centre stage, while still featuring the massive presence of the trees.
The red looks nice in semi-shade and the white wheels "pop" in the light conditions just like white flowers do in my garden as dusk falls.

Personlly, I prefer the engineering common sense of a double sided arm, but there is no doubt that the single siders do look very good.
And I too like the look and simplicity of my three-spoke wheels, but five spokes must surely spread the load more evenly, and so I might change mine at some stage. Trouble is I've become a little besotted by those five-spoke BST carbon wheels ....and a pair of those would cost more than my whole bike is worth.

I now have three calendars and some of the pics will undoubtedly be framed at some stage.

Capo
09-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Wouldn't be nice if the home page showed the current month of the calendar, surely not to difficult to do.

smiffyraf1
09-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Wouldn't be nice if the home page showed the current month of the calendar, surely not to difficult to do.

that would be awesome.

utopia:
yeah thats my plan too to get a few framed for in the garage.

Albie
10-01-2014, 06:52 AM
that would be awesome.

utopia:
yeah thats my plan too to get a few framed for in the garage.

Just needs rob to ask shuffy. I have no problem as done my duty.

Davidg1230
10-01-2014, 07:50 AM
Just for info, that was my old bike, taken last April in Battersea Park, SW11. When I first fell in love with Ducati's and Monster in particular, I loved the look of the S2R and S4R when they were first released. I felt the evolution from the M900 and smaller M600 to the S2R took the design to the pinnacle of the then current Monster design, the white wheels, single swing arm and red/white colour combination was a real head turner and made me desire this bike for many years.

I had the fortune of riding a black and white S2R 800 the other month whilst my current bike was being serviced at Rosso Corse. It bought back some wonderful memories and reminded me why I fell in love with Ducati's and can't bring myself to buy another other brand of bike.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/davidg1230/Ducati%20S2R%202005/Ducati1-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/davidg1230/media/Ducati%20S2R%202005/Ducati1-1.jpg.html)