PDA

View Full Version : Neutral Indicator

Rage Monkey
08-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Ow Do, First post and probably an obvious answer somewhere but can anyone shed some light on reasons why my neutral indicator is starting to light up very dimly while its in gear, its intermittent and sometimes happens in all gears sometimes in only a couple of them. I ride a 2002 750ie Dark, also can any of you recommend a decent mail order parts company for Ducati bits and pieces. Cheers guys.

utopia
08-01-2014, 10:28 PM
I haven't had a close look at mine, but I believe that the neutral switch has shim-washers to adjust its position in/out of the cases.
Could be that yours has worn slightly such that it needs re-shimming ......maybe.....?

I'm only repeating what I've heard/read though.

Kato
09-01-2014, 07:43 AM
Sounds to me like the switch is about to fail, it a spring and plunger type switch, easy enough to replace and will cost around £25 from Ducati, no shims ....just a copper washer fits in the back of the engine on the right hand side

Part No:- 539.1.021.1A

slob
09-01-2014, 09:44 AM
or moisture...

Rage Monkey
10-01-2014, 01:41 PM
thanks guys I'll take a poke around there and see what I find, I'm not the most mechanically minded but I don't use hammers for everything either. I shall report back in due course. All the best.

Darren69
10-01-2014, 01:59 PM
This is a common failure with these switches. They're a bugger to get out/replace too! :)

jonzi
10-01-2014, 02:34 PM
If the one from a 600ss fits in to your bike then I can send you one that I think works, but has had the wires snipped off.

it's only one, possibly two wires so could easily be soldered.

If you want it (and I can find it) PM your address.

Flip
10-01-2014, 02:35 PM
The switches are not the best to be honest, I replaced mine when the bike was about four or five years old and the second one didn't last that long so I gave up as you can always tell when the gearbox is in neutral anyway and I'd rather trust my 'feel' than a potentially dodgy switch with I hit the starter while it's on the side stand (no in-gear cut out on the early bikes remember).

As Utopia says (on the early bikes at least) the switch was supplied with some shims to enable the switch to light at the correct time (I presume there must have been some tolerance issues with the engine cases?).

gary tompkins
10-01-2014, 03:18 PM
If the one from a 600ss fits in to your bike then I can send you one that I think works, but has had the wires snipped off.

it's only one, possibly two wires so could easily be soldered.

If you want it (and I can find it) PM your address.

Bit of a long shot. There's a world of difference between the 600SS and M750ie motor, both in terms of design and year of manufacture. Would be a miracle if they used the same switch. I would rather replace with a brand new rather than a used, and potentially well worn part. Especially as the neutral switch is a complete PITA to swap on ducati twins. I wouldn't personally want to do it once... let alone twice

Darren69
10-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Check the connection into the main loom and also try spraying copiuos amounts of wd40 into the switch itself and see if that makes it any better, as I and others have said they are a complete faff to get in and out.

Dirty
10-01-2014, 03:47 PM
but I don't use hammers for everything either.

If a hammer ain't fixing it you probably need a bigger hammer :)

Rage Monkey
11-01-2014, 08:46 PM
thanks again guys, I've drowned it in WD40 and the problem seems to have resolved, at least temporarily so hopefully its just the moisture demons that are causing the problems. Jonzi thanks for the offer, I've asked a Ducati mech and he reckons they are slightly different but the thought is very much appreciated.