PDA

View Full Version : S2R1000 fuel pump wiring

Baker boy
27-12-2013, 07:36 PM
After some time spent checking out my S2R1000 which cut out whilst riding, I have discovered that the red wire which leads to the fuel pump has a break between the plug outside of the tank & the fuel pump itself, the fault seems to be within the epoxy resin plug within the pump mount flange, any one else had this problem, or any ideas how to fix, Ducati want £650 for a new pump assembly. Ca Cycleworks have a wiring harness replacement but can't see anywhere over here I can get one from.

pompone
27-12-2013, 08:38 PM
You can get epoxy resin from http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/ and do the repair yourself. The breakage is a common fault.

Funkatronic
27-12-2013, 08:52 PM
or if that dont work buy a 2nd hand pump assembly for a lot less than 650

Flip
28-12-2013, 02:27 AM
We use epoxy resins at work for environmental protection and insulation of various electronics (including high voltage applications) and Araldite will do the job you need here perfectly well.

I am not familiar with the pump assembly itself but a bit of heat from a heat gun (hot air not flame) should soften the resin enough to dig it out to repair the wire before filling with Araldite.

Baker boy
30-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks for your comments, so after carefully digging out resin on inside tank part of plug two wire just came out, weren't even soldered, the other two came out with very little effort, next re-solder the wires back, fill pot with resin.

pompone
30-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Thanks for your comments, so after carefully digging out resin on inside tank part of plug two wire just came out, weren't even soldered, the other two came out with very little effort, next re-solder the wires back, fill pot with resin.

Can you take some pictures as it may be helpful for other in future?

Baker boy
30-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Plug with old resin carefully dug out, note four pins which the pump wires came out of very easily, using a multimeter (eBay £3 up) you check for break in connections from external plug to pump contacts in the tank, and also check for resistance after contacts have been re soldered

Baker boy
30-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Will take more pics as it goes & update progess

Baker boy
16-01-2014, 10:49 PM
JB Watereld used to seal wires in plug, I contacted JB first to check the weld would be ok in petrol & not conduct electricity.

Baker boy
16-01-2014, 10:53 PM
I used a nail head to pack the Waterweld into plug

Baker boy
16-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Bought stainless steel clips from Advanced fuel system for new fuel filter

Baker boy
16-01-2014, 11:02 PM
All put back together again, reused the spring washers holding down plastic pump housing, had to take a bit of care with the mesh filter on the bottom of the pump, didn't want to hole it during reassembly.

Then half hours work refitting pump, some petrol in the tank and bingo - bike fires up and runs fine for a cost of £13.....

Net saving of £637 for a new pump

pompone
17-01-2014, 06:01 AM
Good write up! I'm sure it'll help people down the line as this is a recurring problem. Only thing is I wouldn't have used bolts and nuts clip but rather crimping ones...

zhango
17-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Thanks Baker boy - that's a good engineering fix & good pics.

Pomp: Personal preference but I always use screwed clips here - the pipes can never come off.