PDA

View Full Version : Valve Clearances

SpeeLaT
02-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Why do Ducati have two sets of measurements for valve clearances. I have a "Checking Clearance" and an "Adjusting Clearance"?
So for my bike M1100
Intake Openers;
Adjusting Clearance 0.10 - 0.15mm.
Checking Clearance 0.05 - 0.15mm.

Most other manufacturers just give you what the clearance is supposed to be hot or cold.
I have also seen reference to Assembly Clearance in place of Adjusting.

I have been told that if the clearance is within the Checking Clearance then I should Adjust to Adjusting Clearance. And I have been told the reverse.

So which one do I set the bike too?

utopia
02-12-2013, 03:19 PM
I would say, use the checking clearances when you're just, er ....checking the clearances, but if they're found to be outside the checking tolerances and therefore in need of adjustment, then adjust them to the adjusting clearances.
Like it says on the tin......;)

SpeeLaT
02-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Thanks, I know it sounds a dumb question but with so many different opinions I just wanted to get it right.
I had even been told that the Checking Clearance was for setting up valve timing and not used for servicing?

slob
02-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Where did you get the information from?
From memory my factory manual (older Monster) only has one figure (range) and it should be checked with the engine stone cold
Cam timing is usually done at a known lift eg. 1mm, so you'd have no clearance

SpeeLaT
02-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Slob

I have the OEM Workshop Manual on CD this is what it has for valve clearances. I have seen other older paper manuals that have an Assembly and Checking clearance. The Valve timing info came from a US site I asked the same question there.
Valve timing is with 1mm valve clearance - Ducati Manual
Valve lift is measured with 0mm clearance - Ducati Manual

slob
02-12-2013, 04:52 PM
hhhmmm, I suspect some translation error there: "Valve timing is with 1mm valve clearance" makes no sense when max clearance is 0.15mm & lift is whatever it is, once lifted there is no (opener) clearance ;-)

Also your original post says 'adjustment' not 'assembly'. Assembly clearance would make sense with a larger gap, as new collets would bed-in reducing the gap. As opposed to servicing, where the collets are already bedded-in (and should always be replaced with the wear marks on the same side as they came out.

I'll check my 'older' manual when I get home.

SpeeLaT
02-12-2013, 05:32 PM
I have just checked a couple more OEM manuals and the S4RS is the same as the M1100, 1098 and Hyper with regards Timing and Lift 1mm and 0mm

The 1098 refers to an Operation Clearance and a Checking Clearance. That is yet another term to add.

I just looked at an M900 and this has what I was expecting one set of clearances for adjusting and checking the valves.
If you ever need a manual..........

Mr Gazza
02-12-2013, 06:30 PM
It's not that complicated is it?

Just set the clearances to those in the smaller range or at the lower end of the smaller range.

I would aim for 0.10 or a gnats over and it would be spot on for both clearance ranges given....wouldn't it..??

Starter Sprag
02-12-2013, 07:23 PM
If you wan't it spot-on, then set:

Openers 4 thou ~ 0.1mm
Closers <2 thou ~<0.05mm

On a stone cold engine

pompone
02-12-2013, 08:39 PM
If you wan't it spot-on, then set:

Openers 4 thou ~ 0.1mm
Closers <2 thou ~<0.05mm

On a stone cold engine

Sounds spot on.. just remember to measure with the retaining clip back on or it would then be too tight once you put it on.

SpeeLaT
02-12-2013, 10:38 PM
It's not that complicated is it?

Just set the clearances to those in the smaller range or at the lower end of the smaller range.

I would aim for 0.10 or a gnats over and it would be spot on for both clearance ranges given....wouldn't it..??

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?
You failed to answer my original question, So you don't know fine no need for the sarcasm unless its to cover your ignorance. Get someone to read the first post to you slowly then structure an appropriate answer.

Mr Gazza
03-12-2013, 05:26 PM
You failed to answer my original question, So you don't know fine no need for the sarcasm unless its to cover your ignorance. Get someone to read the first post to you slowly then structure an appropriate answer.

You've made it difficult for me to respond to this without sounding sarcastic.

My reply to your question did not contain any intentional sarcasm, it was genuinly intended to be helpful. My answer seems reasonable enough given that it is based on the figures given and rises above the very confusing wording that you quote from the manual.

I finished off with "wouldn't it..??" because I was questioning what I thought might be too obvious an answer to the problem.

Your reply to me is not really in the nice spirit of this forum.......How about having another go at being freinds..??..:biggrin:

Dookbob
03-12-2013, 09:43 PM
I will second that, I didn,t detect any sarcasm in your post either Mr. Gazza.

Martin C
05-12-2013, 04:00 PM

I also think you're rather out of order here! If you take offence at a reply that easily (hint of sarcasm or not), then perhaps you shouldn't use this forum to ask for help. No-one is obliged to help, so you should give everyone who does the benefit of the doubt - not pick a fight!