PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problems

littlejimmy12
27-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Damn this cold weather!! Monster seems to hate it. Anyway

My monnie has an engine upgrade from an St4s - 996 engine.

Anyway I have been doing small 5 - 10 min trips over the past few months which has no doubt affected the battery charge.

It refused to start about a fortnight ago so I put her on trickle overnight and next day she started no problem

This morning.........nothing, (again has been on trickle for 48 hours). Turning over strongly and it did catch...almost but not fully.

Then she just turned over and over. I did not open the throttle as I have heard this is not good. Switched off then on and still turning over strongly but not catching.

So I have left it!!

Any ideas, she has been left standing for a fortnight and I think that's made her a little grumpy!!!!

(good to be back James)

Funkatronic
27-11-2013, 04:43 PM
hi james

if its turning over but not firing, check to se if you have a spark

you can take the HT lead off and hold close to an earth point (stay away from paint) and see if it sparks?

if you have spark next to check is fuel, see if you can get the fuel cap open easily, if not and theres a vacumn you may have kinked drain hose

its worth draining the tank and put some fresh stuff in there as fuel goes off quite fast these days

Nickj
27-11-2013, 04:44 PM
You tried to 'catch it' when it made a rumble and the plugs didn't like it.
Give the plugs a clean, clean out the cap/ignitor thingys as damp gets everywhere
Might be worth a one off shot of injector cleaner or half a tank of shell v which gives you a very similar effect but isn't as vicious.

pompone
27-11-2013, 05:39 PM
If you try now maybe she'll start. As Funkatronic said check for a spark by putting a plug in the coils next to a head (engine, not your own ;) ) and go from there. Is it alarmed and the alarm is not turning off maybe?

don_matese
27-11-2013, 05:42 PM
I have an issue where if I dont turn off the fuel it slowly seeps into the engine over a few days so i end up with damp plugs. If I remember to switch if off at the tap it all works perfectly. Check the plugs for soot/fuel.