PDA

View Full Version : Monster 1200 build slot

steeevvvooo
18-11-2013, 02:41 PM
I had an order in for a new monster (before the official announcement) but have since gone and bought a Streetfighter. The dealer is happy to give me the £250 holding deposit back so that’s not an issue. I haven't specified anything as this was simply a holding deposit. It may not actually count for anything, but...

If anyone is thinking to place an order and hasn’t yet, I may be able to transfer the place to you. I can’t promise anything, and the dealer would take your deposit so I’m not taking payment for anything (or trying to make a quick buck), but it seems a shame to waste what could potentially be an early delivery slot. :idea:

If there is no takeup in the next week or so I’ll simply arrange with the dealer to cancel my order and arrange to get the holding deposit back.

The dealer is a well respected main dealer in the South...

Dirty
19-11-2013, 01:17 AM
Ooh a Street Fighter, nice one! Still the naughty corner but definitely worth it :)

Wasta
19-11-2013, 03:32 AM
How do you find the Streetfighter, can we have a ride report ?

mintyhit
19-11-2013, 08:32 AM
What made you decided to bail on the monster and go for the SF out of interest?

bluestoesonnose
19-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Have to admit, now I've seen a few SF, I could be tempted next time as they seem like a nice upgrade on the S4R

steeevvvooo
19-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Ooh a Street Fighter, nice one! Still the naughty corner but definitely worth it :)

It’s naughty but I like it!

How do you find the Streetfighter, can we have a ride report ?

I only rode about 5 miles, around town, as I was ill. The seller then delivered it in his van and it’s sat in my garage since. Felt pretty mental though, and very light surprisingly. The riding position wasn’t as bad as I have read (I didn’t feel like I was sat on the front wheel like some road tests). Full report to follow at a later date but it may be over a beer rather than a monster forum or Slob might hunt me down... :twak:

What made you decided to bail on the monster and go for the SF out of interest?

Price and value to be honest. The new monster looks great, but I got more power, brembo monoblocs, no ohlins admittedly, and what I think it a modern looking bike for not much more than half the price of the 1200S. Plus it’s only done 1600 miles and had a recent full service. I might look at a new monster once they start to come up used, but I’m not a “new” person. I’ve never had a new bike or car despite having the means to, as I would rather have something different/more special for less money. E.g. for a tiny bit more than the price of a new monster 1200S I have a 1600 mile Streetfighter and a 4000 mile Carbon fairing 749R in the garage. That’s more attractive than one brand new bike to me personally but each to their own…

Have to admit, now I've seen a few SF, I could be tempted next time as they seem like a nice upgrade on the S4R

Exactly that! In my eyes the base streetfighter is the evolution of the S4R and the “S” model the RS as it has the ohlins and lightweight wheels. It has the next superbike engine along, a trellis frame, pretty comfy riding position and is a naked. If it was called the “streetmonster”, “uglymonster” or whatever (I know, I know, it WASN’T, but “if” :p) then there would be hundreds on this forum and they would have sold incredibly well.

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv265/steeevvvooo/DSC_0004_zps7704b143.jpg (http://s690.photobucket.com/user/steeevvvooo/media/DSC_0004_zps7704b143.jpg.html)

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv265/steeevvvooo/DSC_0007_zps3363fe87.jpg (http://s690.photobucket.com/user/steeevvvooo/media/DSC_0007_zps3363fe87.jpg.html)

(Hope I am allowed to post this, I will remove if not, but I even got a bin in the background! ;))

Darren69
19-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Isn't the Streetfighter just a Monster with another name anyway? It seems the natural progression from S4, R, RS to me

steeevvvooo
19-11-2013, 11:23 AM
I see it as a technicality too Darren, but as long as the mosnterati don't disown me (I have had 3 afterall and will probably get the 1200 in the future) I will be sticking around here, albeit in the naughty corner :ukm:

Dirty
19-11-2013, 11:39 AM
I think it has more Monster DNA than the 1200 does but you are still on the naughty step :) As it's a Monster in all but name I think you should post the report. I'd be very interested.

You got any mods planned?

Flip
19-11-2013, 12:48 PM
I think part of the problem with the sales figures is the name, by the time the bike made it's debut 'Streetfighter' had already become synonymous with a Genre characterised by naked GSX-R's and flat barred 'Blades and so Ducati would have been far better off taking a leaf from Triumph's marketing department along the lines of their 'Speed/Street Triple' models and coming up with something else.

But I have to say that they have really grown on me and I totally get your thinking of having two bikes for the price of one and personally I wouldn't want to get rid of my Monster after having had it almost fourteen years (and still love riding it as much now as ever), I definitely don't want to stop racing my 1965 250cc Ducati Mach1 and I loved my little P200 Vespa (and I will do again when I have finished restoring it).

So going on from that I am now thinking I can make room for 'just one more' bike in the garage in the not too distant future and am thinking of a 749 so would love to hear what you think of yours please Steve.

steeevvvooo
19-11-2013, 01:04 PM
You got any mods planned?

yes, but I'm trying to delay starting off down that path as long as possible!! :look:

So going on from that I am now thinking I can make room for 'just one more' bike in the garage in the not too distant future and am thinking of a 749 so would love to hear what you think of yours please Steve.

errrr... given I've done 100 miles in a year (maybe longer actually) I'll let you know in the summer when I finally get it back on the road :o From what little time spent with it I remember it being awesome :woot:

Photo here, post 48 page 4. Garys flikr account must finally have been found and banned :running:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=45027&highlight=groombridge&page=4

Dirty
19-11-2013, 01:32 PM
yes, but I'm trying to delay starting off down that path as long as possible!! :look:

Meh! Why put off the inevitable :)

Your premise gave me the idea for a new thread (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?p=471510#post471510)!

Akita Boy
19-11-2013, 07:05 PM
I like your logic steveooooo!

steeevvvooo
19-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Back on topic anyway while dirty has launched the breakaway thread...

Someone must be wanting to place an order? If so then you MAY end up with an early delivery if you can take my place... Otherwise I'll just get the deposit back and spend it on carbon for the new bike :)