PDA

View Full Version : Draining Carb Float Bowls?

ibanezlynx
04-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Guys,
I want to drain my carb float bowls for winter storage.
How do I do this? Any tips?

Dukedesmo
04-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Disconnect the fuel supply and run it 'till it stops?...

ibanezlynx
04-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Yeh I guess that's one way.
My Haynes refers to a screw which you remove, then connect a hose to drain the float bowls. Cant find it so just wondering what's the best way to stop everything gumming up over winter.

Dirty
04-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Well Dukes suggestion sounds the easiest to me. I guess another option might be to remove the carbs completely or turn the bike upside down and shake well :)

JuZ
04-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Put some Forte Petrol Saver in the tank and run it through the carbs, no need to drain them then :thumbsup:

http://www.forteuk.co.uk/product.php?id=61/Petrol_Saver

ibanezlynx
05-11-2013, 07:07 PM
I've already put some in. But I thought this stops the fuel breaking down. I'm worrying about sediment or crap gathering in the carbs and blocking the jets. Am I over worrying?

Darren69
05-11-2013, 07:24 PM
I've already put some in. But I thought this stops the fuel breaking down. I'm worrying about sediment or crap gathering in the carbs and blocking the jets. Am I over worrying?

Probably, I've never drained any of my bikes down dry during winter, carby or inj, in fact I would suggest that dry storing may cause the rubbers to dry out. Fuel can go off if left standing and modern fuel is even worse for this. Standing can leave sediment and deposits etc, so I would suggest regular running if at all possible but I shouldn't worry unduly. When you start riding again use plenty of injector cleaner added to the fuel which should remove any gunk that might have built up.

Darren69
05-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Well I might add that frequent running would also prevent the belts from sticking and weakening from being in the same position.

ibanezlynx
06-11-2013, 06:13 AM
That's a very good point- thanks Darren69.
It's due a belt change this winter so I will do that towards the end so the new belts do not sit for a while. I suppose it's worth when starting to let the bike get to normal running temp before shutting off also, to reduce the moisture build up within the engine etc.

Flip
06-11-2013, 06:47 AM
Remember they can get a bit hot if left to idle for too long i.e: long enough to get to normal operating temperature without moving to get the cooling air over them-

The best thing is to get out for a run on dry day and clean it afterwards to get any road salt/dirt off.

Gilps
06-11-2013, 07:19 AM
I use super unleaded, make sure its the ethanol free stuff as some contains ethanol. Turn the tap off and run it still it stops. Make sure the tank is full to the brim to prevent rust and that's about it. That's what I do and don't have any problems.

Don't leave regular petrol sat in the carbs for too long. In fact I won't even use regular petrol because of the ethanol content.

Dookbob
14-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Guys,
I want to drain my carb float bowls for winter storage.
How do I do this? Any tips?

Look under the float bowls, you will see a short pipe sticking out on the underside, with an adjacent screw. Put a tube on the end of the pipe, or hold a can or something similar underneath and open the screw a couple of turns, there is no need to remove the screw, just undo it a bit.
There were black plastic tubes already in place on these drain points from new, but most have been removed to tidy things up.

Geoff Ives
15-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Look under the float bowls, you will see a short pipe sticking out on the underside, with an adjacent screw. Put a tube on the end of the pipe, or hold a can or something similar underneath and open the screw a couple of turns, there is no need to remove the screw, just undo it a bit.
There were black plastic tubes already in place on these drain points from new, but most have been removed to tidy things up.

Correct. I do this each year on my 600SS, same carbs. I don't do it on mt M750 as I ride it through the winter.

Dookbob
15-11-2013, 04:57 PM
I also do it in reverse, by injecting petrol through the drain points with a hypo syringe when my bike has been standing for a while, it saves flattening the battery and wearing out the starter system.

utopia
15-11-2013, 05:27 PM
I also do it in reverse, by injecting petrol through the drain points with a hypo syringe when my bike has been standing for a while, it saves flattening the battery and wearing out the starter system.

There's crafty !
I bet there's an acquired art to getting the right amount in there, without overdoing it... Or do you just guess low ?

I don't bother draining them, myself.

Dookbob
15-11-2013, 05:50 PM
It,s just a case of looking at the float chamber and then looking at the hypo, my first guess worked ok so that's the rule of thumb that I use for getting the right amount in.
I used to remove the rubber vac pipe from the inlet duct to the vacuum operated fuel tap and suck on it to hold the fuel tap open for long enough to re fill the float chambers, but the hypo trick is easier.