PDA

View Full Version : What to do....

He11cat
26-10-2013, 08:11 PM
One way or another I'm having a dry clutch wether it kills me.

I'd like to dry clutch the 600 for the hell of it .

However keep getting nudged put a 900 lump in.

For me 600 with a dry clutch is a bit different and different is good :)

Then there is the other issue ....
I could have wept when I was too slow on Sercs 900 :(
I would have killed for it but I ummed too much.
I can't afford all the ones I saw and liked his even if it had been top whack!

I'm really hankering after. 900 ..
Carby but they have rocketed out of my price range.

I can't run 3 Ducs no way I'm struggling with 2 and the ridiculous fuel consumption on the car I brought .
That's hitting home now !
Im such an idiot it was noisy and fast sold .. Sounds lovely .
Doesn't help when local twats nail your low profiles. !

I would adore a old M900 but :( with prices I keep seeing :(
Seen cheaper S4s!
I wouldn't care if it was scruffy as either! Anything !

So I have a great 600 engine
Would be fun to dry clutch it.

I've done so much to the 600 I don't want to sell it..

Want a 900 carb but can't afford one .
Don't want to sell the 400.

So do I make do and be daft and dry clutch 600

Or do I get a 900 lump and go that route ( although to me is cheating a bit)

How different is the jump from a 600 to a 900 engine ?

I'm not fast ..
Also riding been hell last few years due to health but now
I got a diagnosis and can control things a bit better looking rosier.
But I have days where my strength is shot to bits .

Unless a tatty old work horse of a 900 came up which will never happen :(
I couldn't buy one not on my current wage .

I thought about getting a 900 lump and selling the 600 lump to part fund it ?
But to me would be A 600 with a 900 lump in and not a beloved M900 ...

Confused !!!!!

Albie
26-10-2013, 08:16 PM
as fast as your wrist. Heavy on your clutch wrist. Happy to plod at low speed and go when you want. They don't work as hard. You may as well get the whole bike imho. I don't need 2 monsters like I have 2 peds and basically 2 xt500 but I have and will prune the garage soon. Don't rush your thoughts and think about finances first. S4 are cheapish but cost more to service.

uksurfer
26-10-2013, 08:17 PM
sell both the bikes and buy Scrapps 900ie

worth every penny and its under 2k!

Mr Gazza
26-10-2013, 08:57 PM
sell both the bikes and buy Scrapps 900ie

worth every penny and its under 2k!

That's a pretty sensible idea..Have a word with Scrapps asap. I am sure he would accomodate an enthusiast who would need to sell bikes before doing the deal..

I too have a fairly recently diagosed health issue, which does not really effect my riding, but it was in a way instrumental in my getting back into bikes earlier this year.
I did a slightly shagwitted thing and bought a Triumph Sprint (It was very cheap).
Before I had even finished the work on it (complete engine transplant), I realised that what I really wanted was another 900 Monster.
Thinking that a Monster would be beyond my budget, I considered several "alternatives" like an SV650 or maybe a nakedized ST2, but this is a futile path to follow....If you want a 900 Monster, that is all that will do..

Happilly I managed to find a non running Monster for about the same money that I got for the fully prepared Triumph...It turned out very nicely. Then I had to start from scratch again with the Monster. Ah well! A summer of spannering, But hey it's all good fun.

The moral of my tale is that there is no substitute for the real thing..I am really smitten with my Monster and all it's little faults, and glad I spent a bit more than I thought I would to get it.

I too like the old carb models, but in fact I went for an injection one. To be honest I think it is much simpler to maintain, it runs perfectly all the time and it ought to be a mite lighter too. She is very tractable at low speeds...even the 20mph speed limits are no problem in the right gear and crusing at any speed you choose is always pleasant, although you may not always manage top gear unless you put a couple of extra teeth on the back sprocket.

Come to think of it I sold two damn nice bikes back in 2002, a 750SS and a very nice Triumph TR6P. That was to buy my first M900, and I never regreted it for a second..

Dirty
26-10-2013, 09:48 PM
I originally wanted a 900 carby but was forced to go the 600 route. I figured I'd change up once the restriction was lifted but I love my bike now and really don't want to get rid. I say I love it but there are lots of things that you get on other bikes that I'd like on mine. Dry clutch like you, single sided swing arm, extra oomph. In fact my planned 'improvements' are so extensive that if I do them the only bit of my 600 left will be 'most' of the frame. But it will still be my 600 (03) :) I'm well aware it would make far more financial sense to get a model fitted with the bits I want but where is the fun in that?

So that is probably no help at all! I'd say go for it, dry clutch the 600. We invest a lot of emotion in our bikes and yours is already unique and personal. Doing the clutch will just make it more special and rare.

He11cat
26-10-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm a stubborn old thing.
I'd not want an S4 .... Injectors and plumbing ?
No thanks!!!!!
One of my fav bikes is just that but ... For me no

I've hated all the watercooled bikes I've owned.

Scrapps bike is cracking but at the mo I can't afford it.
Just had bad car bill :(

Sell the 600 and the 400...
The 600 I adore I've had a lot done to it .
Doesn't look like it but it's had a fortune spent on it.
And setting it up for me ..
Hate the throttle on it as stiff no matter what you do!
Replaced the throttle body and stuff it's still stiff.

I'm a typical woman once I want to do something or want something I dig my heels in :)
400 is like gold dust and again had a lot done so that's staying.

He11cat
26-10-2013, 10:00 PM
I have fallen in love with that near 9 grand foggy monster
Pmsl I don't do things by half !
But no way in hell is that bike worth that!
If I won the lottery id buy it :)

Dirty
26-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Ha ha yeah I've got my eye on that too but I'd only buy it if I could afford one to ride as well. No way you'd want to put too many miles on the foggy!

uksurfer
27-10-2013, 06:09 AM
You'll have to give up something to get something else, I can not see any reason IMHO to change a 600 into a 900 when you can buy one readily available

You've got two bikes there and can only ride one, it doesn't matter how much time and money you spent on them, it's irrelevant when you want something else bigger, better and faster!

Sell them both and have the one you want, not the ones you put up with,I'd imagine the 400 would be rare so I'd sell that first in spring

There only bikes, not pets or children lol

Nickj
27-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Then again you'd have to go through all of the lowering again, still you know where you're going with that by now so less hassle but still a cost to factor in.

I agree with some of the bits about the IE's but I went through TWO sets of clocks on mine, maybe I was just unlucky there but looking at the stepper motors I really don't think I was, more that other people have just been luckier they haven't failed yet.
The heads are the same as is the motor it's just the fuelling and a more sophisticated ignition mapping. Having said that I honestly prefer my carby 750 over the IE, the engine feels a bit rawer, the IE had the rough edges knocked off of it.
The 750 engine is much lazier than the 600, much easier and nicer to ride, and the 900 more so.

Do the maths on it, does a 400 and 600 equal a 900 plus lowering work (with of course a bit left over to personalise the paintwork)

Dukedesmo
27-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Then again you'd have to go through all of the lowering again, still you know where you're going with that by now so less hassle but still a cost to factor in.

Surely all the lowering kit would fit a 900? As would all the other 'fancy' bits.

If it can be financed then buying a 900 and swapping all the custom parts and then selling a 'stock' 600 might work out quite economical.

But IMHO it's only worth doing if you want the extra power of the bigger engine, otherwise the clutch conversion shouldn't be too hard - and an interesting project.

Darren69
27-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Spotted thism looks like a nice early M900m lowish miles too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Monster-900/121202916068?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3 D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D2284324011482273089%26pid%3 D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D121 202916068%26

He11cat
27-10-2013, 08:05 PM
:gromit:Ha ha yeah I've got my eye on that too but I'd only buy it if I could afford one to ride as well. No way you'd want to put too many miles on the foggy!

Gerroff that's mine !!!!!

Dirty
27-10-2013, 08:21 PM
:gromit:

Gerroff that's mine !!!!!

You said you wanted a ratty one in the other thread :)

Here's one and it's in the fastest colour http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-DUCATI-900-MONSTER-YELLOW-/161137063659

He11cat
27-10-2013, 08:21 PM
That's a nice 900!
Ok

The 400 is not for sale ever ....
It's a keeper that one unless you ridden one you wouldn't understand !

I can't afford 3 bikes :( actually 4!!
I have my rat CG .

The 600 has had all its carbs done and new crank pickups and all sorts it's a good little engine.

Old Hector looks a bit tired now but he's had a lot done to him and to start again on a new bike ouch !!!!!
Id need clutch slave changed again as my hands are weak
Lowering kits won't touch me !!

I've lowered so many bikes .
I have a 26 inside leg !!!!
They don't make lowering kits for Oompa Loompa !

I have to have the bike sorted by MCT
I believe it's the lowest monster they have ever done and was scary !
The shock has to be shortened and rebuilt for me.

Then I have to get Michelin tyres as lower profile gives me a drop .
Seat has to be sculpted.
To lower a bike it would cost me about £600 !
Then buying one ... As it's too high I can't ride it home so have to pay for delivery !!

400 desperately needs it as I struggle when I stop or start or even getting on or off.

I love my 600 its perfectly set up for me .
But I want a dry clutch .. Also it needs to be louder :)
I find if I do want to go I runout of gears and speed.
I'm not a speedfreak more of a noise freak .

I adore old 900s so much but they are getting crazy money ..
I'm leaning towards lumping in a 900 engine .
But I have a good engine already ..
Just it's not clanky and it's quiet :( :(
Even with baffle less termis ..

He11cat
27-10-2013, 08:24 PM
And yes as Tim says the appeal of having a dry clutch in a 600 tickles me somewhat :)
It's quirky ..
I like that .

jerry
29-10-2013, 07:11 AM
Hellcat do you have a safe dry place to store all your bikes ????

He11cat
29-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Well there was a shed hidden at the back of my garden that I thought was doable as a bike house .
Until a big wild rat decided he liked it and ate the floor and all under it!
So now if you so much as step on the floor you go straight through .
The rat has been evicted ( I hate wild rats ) however he destroyed a whole shed in 4 days!!!!!
I need to now save for a shed thing .
I looked at the clamshell things you pull over but the damp would still come up underneath.
If I could get them in my house they would have a room in my house :(
Maybe I should camp in the garden and give the bikes the house ?

Dukedesmo
06-11-2013, 10:02 AM
And yes as Tim says the appeal of having a dry clutch in a 600 tickles me somewhat :)
It's quirky ..
I like that .

Indeed, and you get to listen to this soundtrack;

http://youtu.be/aBJWsNMRJS8

;)

He11cat
07-11-2013, 09:54 AM
I love that sound :)
The 600 is a bit quiet for my liking .
I like a bit of noise.

Except Harley D noise which grates on me like nails down a blackboard.

Darren69
07-02-2014, 11:06 AM
There's a ratty 900 here for sale:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-DUCATI-MONSTER-900-DAMAGED-REPAIRABLE-NO-RESERVE-3714-/301090875683?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item461a6a2923#ht_1171wt_1190

utopia
07-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Also, my info is that the early 750SS engines were dry clutch.
How about fitting one of those ?
Might be hard to find, but I might know where there is one.
Not certain that it is actually a dry clutch one, but its certainly about the right age. I've asked the question but had no reply thus far.
It'd be the early style belt covers too, so your ally ones should fit without spacers (600 & 750 are the same, I believe).
And the 750 is the same ins group as the 600 (or at least it used to be) so running costs would be less and there would still be a decent power increase.
And if you put it in Hector, you could retain all your lowering mods.
You might even recoup some cash by selling the 600 motor.
And it would be an easier mod than converting the clutch, obviously.

ps....if you look on the pics of the ratty 900, you'll see that its teatray has the three holes similar to that ally tailpiece.

Clankety, clank.

Black Bob
07-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Hmmmm… sounds like a load of spanners in a food blender.

You must be mad! :D

He11cat
08-02-2014, 03:15 AM
Thank you yes ! That would be an option if it's Dry clutch :)
That would work and my belt covers would fit .
That would be a doable option.
If you find out please let me know.
Would depend on how much he wants for the engine .
But yes I could sell the 600 engine.
It's a good engine ..
What about carbs ???

He11cat
08-02-2014, 03:17 AM
A load of spanners :)
Yes but it's a wonderful load of rattly spanners noise .
I love it when one rolls in to the bike shop by me .
I'm grinning from ear to ear and every one else is moaning about the noise !

Dukedesmo
08-02-2014, 10:15 AM
What about carbs ???

Carbs are the same, probably need re-jetting though.

He11cat
08-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Oh not again!!!!! :)

He11cat
08-02-2014, 03:41 PM
I was great fingers crossed car gets through MOT it sailed through.
Went into hospital parked car up as no driving for 4-5 weeks .
Nipped out and noticed my windows were wet inside .
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/helsinkvampire/2013%20random/148D52F3-181D-4943-9B29-8781BA2F7310.jpg (http://s428.photobucket.com/user/helsinkvampire/media/2013%20random/148D52F3-181D-4943-9B29-8781BA2F7310.jpg.html)
My car is now a duck pond !!!!
It's never leaked so my only guess is drainage holes in sunroof blocked up maybe when it was pressure washed ?
Never leaked when sat for a week or so before.
So at the mo it's away while they find out what's leaking .
4 inches of water .
Going to need a full deep valet as also mouldy :(
As fast as I get started towards the bike some rubbish happens .
Got shot of old car as was costing a bomb now this ones doing stupid things :(

Capo
08-02-2014, 04:31 PM
That could get expensive doors may have to come off, the pollen filter is a culprit.

Dirty
08-02-2014, 05:09 PM
Just get some ducks :)

He11cat
09-02-2014, 02:49 AM
I read about the pollen filter.
Only had the car a few months .
What with cleaning up and drying out the car sadly think it will be expensive.