PDA

View Full Version : Replacing panels 1100EVO... AHHHH

Dandanfings
25-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Oh replacing the panels on the new shape monster is easy they said.
Can have a different colour set to suit your different moods they said.

Just attempted to replace the middle tank piece with nice shiny carbon fiber, so not even a complete set, but nooo all the bolts have little spacers and loose bits attached to the tank that come loose and go everywhere.
Also all the bolts are seemingly random with no logic to them, some bolts have spacers others do not and fall out and fly everywhere when removing :grump:

2 of the screws that fit at the top of the tank by the fork legs and ignition refuse to go back and now just spin freely :fiery:

I guess there's no getting away from its Italian roots, gonna have to book it in at the dealer to replace my panels :grump:
sigh more monies just to do something simples.
Had the exact same problem switching light bulbs and replacing levers, simple on a suzuki.

neilo
25-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Huh?

I've had my panels off/on many many times without any issues whatsoever...so I'm puzzled why you've found the job a 'bugger'...

wezrvf
25-10-2013, 11:11 PM
I have had mine off a couple of times too. Is it the centre panel on the tank you are having problems with ?

When I am taking quite a few bolts out I line them up in the shape they came off, so it would be a couple of rows of nuts, that way you always know the same nut is going back in the hole it came put of, even if they all look the same! Ha ;)

Albie
26-10-2013, 03:55 AM
No problem ever and I have 3 sets and always changing. Takes 10-15 minutes tops. Hardest bit is screen. Seems to me you must have pulled the moulded inserts out of tank then as no spacers on mine. Carbon centres are available .

pompone
26-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Done it many times and is really easy. I think you either lost one of the captive/cage nuts or you're out of alignment somewhere. I start with the bolt at the back and the one by the side, just finger tight, then do the same with all the others then tighten. that way you have movement/play.I agree the metal spacers around the petrol cap can be a PITA

Rally
26-10-2013, 09:00 AM
I've changed many times between five sets of panels and never had an issue? You must have dropped or lost something to get in a pickle.

Dandanfings
26-10-2013, 12:09 PM
i was unscrewing the petrol plastic shroud, as i slowly pulled it off bits of things just flew off everywhere.
So what to do, does the whole tank piece come off as one?

Albie
26-10-2013, 12:26 PM
i was unscrewing the petrol plastic shroud, as i slowly pulled it off bits of things just flew off everywhere.
So what to do, does the whole tank piece come off as one?

They are designed to be removed easily. Do you mean remove the tank or the tank surround centre pieces. Take it to a dealer if not. Don't play with stuff if you don't understand how it works I always say. Take stuff off slowly and methodically. Hope you get it sorted soon then.:mand:

Dandanfings
26-10-2013, 02:06 PM
They are designed to be removed easily. Do you mean remove the tank or the tank surround centre pieces. Take it to a dealer if not. Don't play with stuff if you don't understand how it works I always say. Take stuff off slowly and methodically. Hope you get it sorted soon then.:mand:

I was removing the surround pieces as i have a new carbon centre piece to install.
Im annoyed because i was careful, the things falling out are out of my reach, you unscrew the bolts and pull out slowly and ping ping there goes the back part into the depths of the engine. :fiery:

dealer busy until 9th November :(

jonzi
26-10-2013, 03:12 PM
I was removing the surround pieces as i have a new carbon centre piece to install.
Im annoyed because i was careful, the things falling out are out of my reach, you unscrew the bolts and pull out slowly and ping ping there goes the back part into the depths of the engine. :fiery:

dealer busy until 9th November :(

If you are really stuck with this, then you have two options.

1. Go to Rosso Corse, they are in Bethnal Green, they go home at about 6pm tonight, and then open again on Tuesday. There most school nights till 7 or so I think
2. I am driving to Leyton later, I can come and give you a hand.

Dandanfings
26-10-2013, 03:43 PM
If you are really stuck with this, then you have two options.

1. Go to Rosso Corse, they are in Bethnal Green, they go home at about 6pm tonight, and then open again on Tuesday. There most school nights till 7 or so I think
2. I am driving to Leyton later, I can come and give you a hand.

You star!!! :hail:
I never knew there was a dealer so close to me, gave them a call and they said no problem.
I gotta go out now in the blasted car otherwise i would of taken you up on your offer!.

jonzi
26-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Tell em Desmo Dan sent you!

Albie
26-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Just replaced mine again gone carbon for tomorrow. The carbon ones are a pain of a fit against the plastics.

Dirty
26-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Just replaced mine again gone carbon for tomorrow. The carbon ones are a pain of a fit against the plastics.

Getting dressed up for the big outing :)

Have to admit I gave mine a little bit of spit and polish yesterday :thumbsup: