PDA

View Full Version : S4Rs Clutches

serialrisk
25-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Probably asked many times but as i cant find anything.....

Who makes clutches for the S4Rs? And where can they be obtained, a google search seemed to be lacking and im not sure i want an ebay special?

I could easily get a Ducati OEM but wandering what else is out there?

Rally
25-10-2013, 07:10 PM
With that power available, stick to genuine. Others have been tried and failed before.

damien666
25-10-2013, 08:41 PM
barnett seem to have a good reputation.
I'll be needing one for mine, to fit over winter.

Stafford
26-10-2013, 05:42 AM
barnett seem to have a good reputation.
I'll be needing one for mine, to fit over winter.

What he said and seem to have a better rep than OEM.

rollo22
26-10-2013, 08:05 AM
If your reg ends MXS then you have an MPL clutch basket fitted they are aluminum.
OEM plates are steel.

Dukedesmo
26-10-2013, 10:58 AM
If you have a steel basket then you need steel plates, if Aluminium then ally plates. Using the 'wrong' material will cause excessive wear to the ally component.

'Newfren' ally plates are fine and cheaper than OEM, the important thing is to get the overall stack height correct, too thick and it won't 'open', too thin and it will slip - 38mm is the spec but I find a fraction under is better for finding neutral - fit at 38mm and it will 'improve' with wear. ;)

My Monster has Newfren plates with an MPL ally basket and an ally centre hub and works fine, my 916 has an OEM steel basket/hub with Ducati sintered plates which also works fine (but is very noisy).

You are unlikely to need new plain plates, only the friction - I have plain plates that are 15yrs old and they are fine so save your money by not buying a 'complete' clutch - if you do buy complete and have some surplus plain plates that you want rid of (particularly the thinner 1.5mm plates) you can send them to me ;)

The all ally setup is much lighter & quieter and whilst (in theory at least) the steel basket/sintered plates can handle more power, Ducati fitted ally clutches to all bikes after a certain year (not sure when) including the likes of 1198R so power handling is not a problem.

gemantsdad
26-10-2013, 12:35 PM
I've just bought an EVR 48 tooth clutch kit,basket,organic friction plates and steels,came from Omnia racing in Italy,arrived within 5 business days,just waiting for chance to fit,looks very well made and looks like it will not have the death rattle on idle,like the standard one has. (272 euros delivered.)

Cousin it
26-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Fitted an EVR 48 tooth kit to my s4r last year and it is very nice, fairly quiet even with an open clutch, I do miss having people come up to me advising me to take the bike to a garage as it is rattling a bit but the clutch has proven to be a very good addition to the bike.