PDA

View Full Version : Touring Monster?

David Milton
17-01-2004, 08:51 AM
Does anyone have any experience fixing soft panniers and tailpacks to a Monster?

I have a set of Oxford Products luggage that I wish to use for touring but am concerned at the lack of places to secure bungee hooks etc.

Is there a company out there that makes additional fixing points for luggage?

Thanks.

Melnie Mouse
17-01-2004, 08:57 AM
HI, i went to the cotswolds on my monster with a tail pack, the bungee's come with it i hooked to the rail under seat, and another (just in case) flat bungee which any motrax stockist have from 2.50 to 5.00 to secure the hooks now under seat to each other... if you have panniers too, fit those first and tail back secure same way thru gaps.. should be nice and secure.. some people put pannier straps under seat for extra security... hope that helps...

CK & AK
17-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Hi David,

I have a pair of expanding panniers that have 2 straps to go round the seat on my monster as well as the main 'joining piece' sewn between them - has done lots of mileage (France/West Country trips) and havent shifted at all. AK usually makes do with a bungied on rucksack to the rear seat, on whichever of his bikes he is taking (and they also seem to stay put too)
As you are not too far from us (2 - 3 miles) - if you want to pop over & have a squiz, you are more than welcome.

Charlotte

David Milton
17-01-2004, 09:15 AM
Thanks Charlotte and Melanie,

Everything seems fairly secure, yet I have read horror stories of luggage coming loose, you've both reasurred me that I can tour safely.

Thanks

COR
01-02-2004, 01:06 PM
At the recommendation of a friend, last year we invested in Ventura luggage bags. They're quite expensive at alomst £200 for the bag which acts like a tardis and the frame which you need to mount to your bike but well worth it. We certainly would recommend them. No messing with bungees, taking ages to load up your bike, and no risk of damaging paintwork. Simply slip the bag over the frame, clip it in place and off you go. When not in use, it's not necessary to remove all of the frame, just the bit the bag slips over. You can either replace this part with a grab rail or just put stoppers in the ends (as I have done).

crust
01-02-2004, 06:56 PM
There are a number of people investigating Oxford Tailpacks following a series of incidents of them falling into the back wheel causing it to lock.

Several riders have died :(

others have suffered serious injuries :(

If you are using one of these its probably best to use extra bungees or a cago net over the top.

When I use soft luggage I use bungees and a cargo net

:) Crust

M900Dom
06-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by COR
At the recommendation of a friend, last year we invested in Ventura luggage bags. They're quite expensive at alomst £200 for the bag which acts like a tardis and the frame which you need to mount to your bike but well worth it. We certainly would recommend them. No messing with bungees, taking ages to load up your bike, and no risk of damaging paintwork. Simply slip the bag over the frame, clip it in place and off you go. When not in use, it's not necessary to remove all of the frame, just the bit the bag slips over. You can either replace this part with a grab rail or just put stoppers in the ends (as I have done).

Yep, and it just so happens I have the sports rack for sale as well.
Comes with Brackets, no bags, but Ideal if you want to secure a standard Tail pack to it.
£50 if your interested ?
Cheers
Dom

robht
06-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Hi David,
When I went up to Donington last year for the MotoGP, I strapped a rucksack & a tent on the back of my monster using the two rails under the pillion seat. They were still attached when I arrived a Donington - which was nice. I've got high level pipes which rule out soft panniers.

The rails are well placed for strapping stuff to the rear, I think the key is to have a selection of bungees of different lengths so that you can use the appropriate size to get the correct tension.

If you are going to carry luggage reasonably regularly, then you would be better off with a tail pack as I would think it less likely to wear and damage the seat area - also you don't need to undo the bungees to get into the luggage and risk riding off without securing them again - which at best could spread your smalls up the road and at worst have a dangling bungee get caught in the wheel/chain etc.

Cheers,
Rob