PDA

View Full Version : The Hypermotard... not great

Dandanfings
20-10-2013, 03:53 PM
More specifically the 821cc watercooled version they replaced the 1100 with.

Before i bought my Monster 1100, this was going to be my new bike, everybody raved about the older 1100 so i was super excited to try this new faster (supposedly) model.
I test rode it and hated it,sounded like a Japanese bike and felt like it was built to a price.
Here is what i didnt like:

Throttle was very easy to twist, feltlike it was disconnected from the engine.
Throttle response was overly sharp
The sharp throttle response was hiding the lack of power/torque
Levers felt cheap and nasty, not as nice as usual ducati levers
Sounded rubbish
All the power was up high in the rev range

Tested the monster immediately afterwards and bought it instantly!.

I was very dissapointed in the Hypermotard and thought that maybe in my short 15 minute test spin that i was perhaps making a hasty unfair opinion........... so fast forwards to yesterday when i dropped my Monster off at the dealer for its 1st service and was given the keys to the hypermotard for the day :mand:

My ride home was very mixed, some country roads, busy town traffic and 3 lane dual carriageway.
So got to give it a proper good thrash and learn what its like to live with.

Its worse than i remembered, i made a very good choice in choosing the monster.
The Hypermotard does not feel like a quality product, it feels cheap and rides badly.
To make matters worse the engine check light came on 3 times and put me into 'safe ride home mode' each time which was very dangerous in busy dual carriageway and traffic.

So in short, it feels like a cost cutting exercise from ducati, doesnt even cast a shadow over the old 1100,costs more and in my hands was unreliable!.

What a shame :(

steeevvvooo
21-10-2013, 04:38 PM
that is a shame. All I read about the 1100 is great, but haven't ridden either so can't really comment.

Maybe you should try the 1100 Hyper? ... or not if you still want to love the monster as much :biggrin:

buzzbomb
21-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Don't do it Steve...:idea:

Ho and when you comimg up norf again...:scratch:

steeevvvooo
21-10-2013, 06:29 PM
You know I'd better not! ;)

I'm back north the 2nd/3rd November so will pop over then. Sorry it's taken so long...

slob
21-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Try an 1100 if you ever get a chance. Not sure I could live with one as an only bike though. My 10 minute test ride on singletrack's 1100s in the Peak District lasted an hour and included a petrol stop ;-)

singletrack
21-10-2013, 09:24 PM
What a great bike that was, Rob. I should never have got rid of it.
I really missed it - I had a Monster 1100 EVO but never really got on with it, so sold it and got an 848. That wasn't really me either - I don't really suit sports bikes.
So earlier this year I got an 821 Hyperstrada and it feels like I have come home again.
One thing to note about the Hypermotard/Hyperstrada is that there are 3 engine settings. In the "sport" mode it can be very sharp and the throttle response is a bit jerky. It is a lot better in the "touring" mode. I haven't tried "snail" mode yet - I will save that for my first rainy ride.
Admittedly it does not have all the torque of the 1100 Hyper, but it is still great fun to ride. The engine seems very flexible and delivers its power quickly. It is not a bike for high speed touring but is great at flicking round country lanes, which is ideal for my style of riding. I love the light, minimal feel of the bike and the forward riding position. I don't think it seems cheap or rides badly. i think you were unfortunate about the engine warning - i have had that happen on a couple of other Ducatis before - it is not just a Hypermotard thing. The slightly larger tank and option for panniers (but not when full Termis are fitted) make it a bit more suitable for touring than the old 1100
I haven't done a load of miles on it yet as I have been off the bike with medical problems this year, but I have really enjoyed the few rides I have been on and I can't wait to do more.
A full Termi system has addressed the sound problem and I always have to replace Ducati levers because they are never adjustable enough for me.
It is all a case of "horses for courses" - some people love sports bike, some love touring bikes and some love something different like a Monster or a Hypermotard. It would be boring if we all liked the same things.