PDA

View Full Version : scottoiler

celt
16-01-2004, 10:37 PM
help

just bought scottoiler mk7 universal kit and tried to read fitting instructions. What in gods name are they on about and why know pictures.
can anybody help me by posting or emailing an idiots guide.
pictures of where to fit the bits would be good.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

cheers peeps

NewMon
17-01-2004, 07:25 AM
Ah yes, the Scottoiler "instructions". I also have one of these (from the NEC show) and I might get around to fitting it soon! My observations:

The Scottoiler is a lot simpler than the box contents or instructions appear to make it.

Most of the box contents are not required - they've simply given us all the conceivable bits for all the conceivable bikes.

The website has some pictures including specifics for Ducati.

Scottoiler themselves are very friendly and helpful.

I've done a "dry run" with all of the above and it all makes sort of sense now.

Good Luck!
Pete

celt
17-01-2004, 08:46 AM
cheers for the post pete.

i found the site and the pics of ducati. at least i know where the M5 spigot goes now.
its a crap day again weather wise up here so i dont think i'll be fitting it today.

toodle pip

superlight3
17-01-2004, 09:38 AM
I'm due to be fitting one on a UKMOC members Monster in a few weeks time.

If you're not desperate to ride with the Scottoiler fitted I could do a photographic step-by-step guide.

Perhaps a technical forum could be set up on the site here for more mundane tasks?

Whadda fink committee?

Cheers.

Lee.

gary tompkins
17-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Fitted one on mine last year - dead simple. The m5 spigot screws into the inlet manifold (I used front cylinder) but you need to remove blanking screw first. The vacumm pipe from the top of the resevoir unit plugs onto this M5 spigot using the angled rubber connector.

I positioned the resevoir unit under the seat, bolted to the plastic mudguard with the bracket that comes in the kit. The oil delivery pipe runs down the left side of the suspension hoop, and is cable tied to the bottom of the swingarm and hoop.

The delivery nozzel took a while to set up, and I unded up losing the end of the pipe a few times before getting it spot on. It's now about 30mm above the lower run of the chain, and 50mm in front of the bottom edge of the rear sprocket.

A setting of 5-7 on the flow control seems to give a well lubed chain and give a consumption of about 800 miles to a re-fill. ;)

celt
17-01-2004, 06:41 PM
UKMOC comes to my rescue again.
with the info i've got i think i'll give it a go next weekend.
cheers pete, superlight3 and gary.

o yeah i still think the step by step pics would be a good idea as i might muck it up + others might benefit from seeing the route that the tubing takes and a close up off the tube at the chain would be handy.

bye for now

:burnout:

IpauloGTS
17-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Hi Lee,

I'd certainly appreciate a step-by-step guide on top of what I've read as I'm getting one soon.

Cheers, Paul.

Desmodue
17-01-2004, 07:19 PM
I've fitted one, and it's simple, just take your time !

Sorry, don't have digital camera !

Most of the 'bits in the box' you won't use or need, Scottoiler are covering themselves for every eventuality

Mine is the SINGLE applicator, the 'extra' Double Nib applicator, will lubricate Both sides of chain & sprocket better

Just familiarise yourself with 'all the bits', and if your not in a rush, wait for some pictures

A picture is worth............................

Best of luck

gjams
17-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Hi guys,

new to bikes... Is the Scottoiler really good?

I was having a conversation with a guy the other day who seemed to be dead against it (oil dripping in tyres and stuff???)

I'd be intersted in your opinon as I was thinking of fitting one until talking to this guy...

thank you

gus

NewMon
17-01-2004, 09:31 PM
I have one fitted to my ZZR. I clean the chain once a year and let the Scottoiler do its thing. No oil anywhere but the chain. After spending (wasting) loads of time cleaning chains on other bikes, I'm a convert! It's going on the Monster as soon as I can get garage time. I'll take some pics and put them here (just don't hold your breath). I've heard that it can increase chain life by 7 times. Even if its only 2, the amount of hassle saved is well worth it.

DavidT
17-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Iam a big Scottoiler fan - you can argue that with an O ring chain all its doing is lubing the O rings, since if the oil can get into the rollers then the chain is worn out! I believe they do extend the life of the chain and are very easy to fit (mine is behind the LH side panel). I don't get oil on the tyre although it does make a mess of the rear wheel. I tried the Dual injector nozzle for a while but found that it really got in the way when taking the wheel out. Scottoiler are a good company to deal with if you need spares or advice.

John Munn
18-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Hi i have just fittied one external easy filling no panels or seat to remove will take and send you pics shortly
Munster

gary tompkins
18-01-2004, 11:02 AM
The chain on mine has done 12k, and I think I've adjusted it about six times so far, seems to have plenty of life left in it yet.

gjams
18-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Thats great news!! will be fitting mine very shortly...

THANKS VERY MUCH

Gus

John Munn
19-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Sent you a private mesage as i don't know how to attach pictures

brixtonjacks
20-01-2004, 12:30 PM
I fitted a Scottoiler to my previous Honda Hornet. Before the S'oiler I did 4000 miles from new and needed a new chain. I fitted a S'oiler and when I part exchanged the bike at 14000 miles the chain was still doing great. I definitly think they are a sound investment!!

M900Dom
06-02-2004, 03:17 PM
You can do a totally invisable installation ;)

I fitted the reservoir behind the LH side panel, using the clear rubber sleeves and tywraps from the kit.
Run the supply tube down the back of the frame tube to behind the front sprocket cover (I know they say it should go on the rear but this works fine and is much much neater)
The black vacuum line also runs behind a frame tube. put the fitting into the Rear cylinder intake manifold with a 90 rubber fitting.
You just use the wire up the middle of the supply tube to hold it in position and tywraps to the frame.
It just drips on the chain from above.
you get a slight oily residue under the front sprocket and a little oil mist on the rear wheel. But much better than chain lube, and much less adjustment needed ;)

No digi cam/Bike in bits and no Frame at the moment or I would take some pics ;) :D
But it is really neat and simple:D
HTH
Dom

Julie
06-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Hi all

how much is a scottoiler?

Thank you

julie

superlight3
06-02-2004, 04:02 PM
The latest Mk7 is £70.

CHeers.

Lee.

celt
07-02-2004, 04:36 PM
i got mine (latest mk7) from the street of dreams that is Westgate Road in Newcastle at M & S Motorcycles (my bikes parents) for £59.
And thats weird cause scottoilers website sell them at £69.
still havent fitted it but now that the weathers on the turn i'll pop it on

Albie
07-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Fact . Any moving object whether under load or not will wear out due to friction causing a heat buildup turning the metal or plastic to go soft . Either wear or streching will occur.
Please dont listen to anyone who says they dont work. They should use the proper oil and not a cheap one mate found.
And I havent got one yet but am going towithout fail.

snakey
14-02-2004, 09:41 AM
a scottoiler that has been lying around for a year - only took 1 1/2 hours, and followed the way Dom suggested l/h side pannel and down to the front sprocket, can't see any reason why not, and the only visible giveaway is a small bit of the delivery pipe near my foot rest. I admit that it does look daunting with all of the bits supplied but most are not needed. If any one needs to see how to do it I can take some digi photos and post them .
Pete.

NewMon
14-02-2004, 08:16 PM
Well, that's a coincidence. Weather sucks so I just fitted my scottoiler which has been hanging around since I got the bike (Nov 03). I took some photos as well. I'm posting them on a new thread. If you don't want to look, here's a summary: It was pretty easy. But I haven't tested it all yet.

Pete (another one - top name!)

snakey
15-02-2004, 07:06 AM
I mounted mine in a similar position - but swung it round to fit inside the side panel so that it's not visable less likely to be fiddled with I just ran the delivery tube to the front to keep it tidy. Went for a ride yesterday and i can feel and hear a difference, gear changes are quieter and smoother, and before I thought the chain was a bit noisy and that seems to be qiueter too ( I have got standard pipes and can hear these things - my last bike was a '67 Bonnie and on them theres not much to be heard over the exhaust & tappets :D

BTW :- what settings has anyone tried ?

Pete.

NewMon
15-02-2004, 07:54 AM
Ah Ha! I used the frame mount supplied and it wouldn't then fit behind the panel. I was wondering how you did yours. I might revisit my fitting later. It looks like you can fill it without removing the panel.

I use a setting of around 3-4 on my ZZR. I bunged it up to max. t'other day though 'cos the chain seemed a bit dry. I think air got into the oil stream.

Pete

snakey
15-02-2004, 10:56 AM
I used the 2 bits of clear plastic tubing to hold the res in place and yes you can fill it by just removing the seat.
Pete

gjams
16-02-2004, 12:38 AM
has anyone fitted the touring kit as opossed to the standard MK7?

I am trying to decide which one to get. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I know the touring one goes behind the number plate, but not sure if there are any other differences (apart from capacity):confused:

mostly interested to know how messy the wiring/installation is from one to the other..

gus

snakey
16-02-2004, 05:16 AM
shouldn't be too much different except for longer vacuum & delivery pipes. as the res has to be mounted on the number plate mount.

Pete.