PDA

View Full Version : Oberon Clutch Slave

alan s4
15-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Working my way through my "to do" list on recently purchased S4. Next on the list is the clutch, I'm thinking of purchasing a new slave from Oberon. Blurb on the website says lighter clutch action and less judder - is it true?

Also, my current slave doesn't have a bleed nipple, and going by the colour of the clutch fluid it doesn't look like it's ever been changed. Does the oberon unit have some kind of self contained bleed system, or do you need to fit a bleed nipple?

Cheers,

Alan

Nottsbiker
15-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Usually one on top so yours must be missing, or there is one fitted to the master cylinder.

Clutch fluid turns black very quickly so it may not be as old as you think it is.

LVC
15-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Well worth the pennies - Mine's a MDP (I think) 33% bigger and sooooo much nicer/easier to use even with adjustable mini-levers :mand:

Dave G
15-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Not sure why they would have 'less judder'.
Definately easier on the forearm thogh, I have a bigger slave on my SC and it made all the difference to that.

rollo22
15-10-2013, 05:13 PM
The bleed nipple is on the banjo bolt as standard fit.
Sounds like previous owner has changed it out for the wrong one

jerry
15-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Put an OBERON slave on my S4 and m750 they are superb much lighter action a quality product . put in fresh hydraulic oil but it will still get dark again ,

Chriswilly
30-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Sorry to disagree 'guys' but the new Oberon I fitted to my ST2 a few years ago made no difference at all.
I couldn't believe it!
I also replaced all of the clutch plates at the same time.

Darren69
30-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Hi Alan

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Oberon slave but before you shell out for an one, consider one of these as an alternative. I think they are the same as the MPL ones, but occasiionally they are on auction for about 40 quid. I got mine from them for 40 and although I've not fitted it yet it looks to be a good part. Don't be suckered like I was thinking the official DP one was the way to go, because the DP has no serviceable parts in it, rendering it useless if it starts leaking. At least these MPL/Oberon ones will come apart and can be serviced.

gary tompkins
31-10-2013, 12:27 AM
The MPL slave fitted to the 900ie trike definitely made the clutch a lot lighter

I think they claim something like 25% less effort needed

sapone cremoso
31-10-2013, 07:27 AM
thumbs up for the oberon from me, much lighter on mine since i changed it

Darren69
31-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Hi Alan

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Oberon slave but before you shell out for an one, consider one of these as an alternative. I think they are the same as the MPL ones, but occasiionally they are on auction for about 40 quid. I got mine from them for 40 and although I've not fitted it yet it looks to be a good part. Don't be suckered like I was thinking the official DP one was the way to go, because the DP has no serviceable parts in it, rendering it useless if it starts leaking. At least these MPL/Oberon ones will come apart and can be serviced.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TITANIUM-Factory-Racing-Billet-Clutch-Slave-Cylinder-Ducati-Multistrada-ST2-ST4-/370783512865?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item56546b6921

utopia
31-10-2013, 08:35 PM
I've been toying with the idea of changing my clutch slave for a while now.
I dithered for ages, wondering whether I might actually prefer the heavier action, and whether perhaps the std slave might make stationary gearchanges less clunky, but I think its time for action now.
I had in mind to fit an oberon because their stuff seems to be "proper" and their design philosophy sounds good. Also they offer a rebuild facility.
Above all, I would rather fit a rebuildable slave while I'm at it, since this bike is a keeper.
Would I be right in assuming that the "factory racing" one is rebuildable ? It looks as if the end plate with the ring of ten holes in it might be removeable.
Which then begs the question, since I've seen later monsters and other ducatis with similar looking slaves fitted as original equipment, are those oem units rebuildable too ?
And more specifically, could I fit one of those as a cheaper way of upgrading, and would this also reduce the lever effort ?
I'm guessing that this might not be possible, as otherwise I imagine it would be common knowledge, and I haven't heard of it.
Maybe the only way to get a bigger piston in there is to machine the cylinder out of billet for better accuracy and maybe even because billet can be machined thinner without losing strength or becoming porous ?? ...but equally, that could be complete bollocks.
Does anyone know ?

Dukedesmo
31-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Pretty sure that Oberon offer a lifetime warranty? if so it doesn't need to be rebuildable.

I've got one on my Monster and it works fine, albeit only been on 6 months but I've got an 'Evoluzione' slave on my 916 that's been on for 14yrs with no problem whatsoever (clutch fluid doesn't even go dark) so definitely worth a look too. :thumbsup:

Jonno
04-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Thumbs up for the oberon from me too, also put on thier standard levers which I found more adjustable and comfy.

Darren69
05-11-2013, 05:09 AM
[QUOTE=utopia;470101]I've been toying with the idea of changing my clutch slave for a while now.
I dithered for ages, wondering whether I might actually prefer the heavier action, and whether perhaps the std slave might make stationary gearchanges less clunky, but I think its time for action now.
I had in mind to fit an oberon because their stuff seems to be "proper" and their design philosophy sounds good. Also they offer a rebuild facility.
Above all, I would rather fit a rebuildable slave while I'm at it, since this bike is a keeper.
Would I be right in assuming that the "factory racing" one is rebuildable ? It looks as if the end plate with the ring of ten holes in it might be removeable.
Which then begs the question, since I've seen later monsters and other ducatis with similar looking slaves, are those rebuildable too ?

Factory Racing also offer a rebuild service,so I would assume that the plate is removeable to get at the piston.

http://www.motopike.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=575

Dookbob
06-12-2013, 09:55 AM
I have fitted after market clutch slave cylinders on five or six Ducatis that I have restored over the past few years , two of those cylinders were Oberons, but all of them were far better than the original part. I have already got a nice shiny new Oberon cylinder ready for the next one I get my grubby little hands on.