PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fibre accessories - who does the best?

justin796
09-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Hi all,

Before I ask, if this has been covered before can anyone post the link to the thread here please?
If not, has anyone got carbon fibre accessories such as sprocket guard, exhaust heat shield, cam belt covers etc, that they can recommend for quality & value?
I usually like to go for genuine parts but I've read elsewhere that Ducati carbon isn't the best quality out there, especially for the price!
I also would like to stick to one brand as carbon can vary in both quality & pattern so a manufacturer that makes most parts would be good. There seems a lot of companies out there making carbon bits for Ducati but they don't seem to do all the bits, making mix & match the only option.
It's for a Monster 796 by the way.

Cheers,

Justin

pompone
09-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Ducati performance stuff is pretty dreadful mostly down to fitting. I can offer all the above (and some..) from one manufacturer at a good price, all autoclave vacuum parts.

DrD
09-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Limberger (German)
They sell on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=ilmberger+ducati+carbon&_nkwusc=Limberger+ducati+carbon&_rdc=1
I have mudguard and Monza belly pan - coping very well and fits great!

Dukedesmo
09-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Ducati performance stuff is pretty dreadful mostly down to fitting.

Have to agree, I have quite a few Carbon parts on both my Ducatis and by far the worst quality parts are the 'genuine' Ducati performance bits - the worst of which being the Monster belt guards on which the holes didn't line up and had no inserts so trying to fit them ended up in squashing and deforming them, whilst the screws were still loose.

I spent ages making and fitting aluminium inserts and drilling/filing so that they now fit as well as possible given the low starting point, but they really are dreadful quality.

justin796
09-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Interesting stuff so far, thanks guys.
It seems I heard right about the genuine DP carbon. At the price they charge for stuff too I think I will steer clear!
I've seen the stuff on Ebay but parts for my 796 seem limited per manufacturer. I didn't really want to mix & match. My plan was to buy the odd carbon accessory as & when I could afford it & stick to the same brand.

Justin

Dirty
09-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Ah, the dreaded carbonitis! One of the afflictions associated with Monster ownership. Others to look out for are itsalotlighteritis, exhaustchangeitis, anodisedbilletaluminiumitis and paintitagainorea.

If you want the same brand over a period of time you won't go far wrong with Pomp's stuff.

Or start making your own!

pompone
09-10-2013, 08:36 PM
If you want the same brand over a period of time you won't go far wrong with Pomp's stuff.

Thank you, cheque is in the post :D

Or start making your own!
With a small outlay of £90-100k..;) talking of which.. tomorrow is time to pop the race seat mold :D fancy one? :D

Dirty
09-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Thank you, cheque is in the post :D

With a small outlay of £90-100k..;) talking of which.. tomorrow is time to pop the race seat mold :D fancy one? :D

;)

Dam, would have loved to pop up to watch and learn but I'm working. Need to learn the technique and get designing my rear end!

Haynee
10-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Take a look at Carbonvani, not cheap (really not cheap) but you can see the bits on bikes pics taken by the owners ... they were easy to deal with, shipped on time etc, think its just Carbonvani.com

chris.p
10-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Well I have to say it depends on the part, I bought an aftermarket, good quality Carbon tank centre section for Cathy's 696, fitted it, hated it, flogged it and bought the genuine Ducati Performance item (off ebay of course) and it fitted perfectly, complete with the silicon/rubber parts etc., quality is superb.
It does not mean that all DP stuff is good, but you need to look at the the genuine and afterarket items and make your own minds up.

slob
11-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Mainly you want to try and get it from a single source, so you don't end up with 'contrasting' weaves and shades all over the bike.

Darren69
11-10-2013, 11:52 AM
All the DP stuff I've had, has been good. But there are now many producing stuff as good but at a better price.

Darren69
11-10-2013, 11:53 AM
oh the DP carbon teardrop mirrors are pretty naff though

bex
11-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Try Conquest Carbon - they helped out for the Weekender. Might be some discount if you ask nicely...

http://conquestcarbon.co.uk/

justin796
28-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Well, after much consideration & trolling through many websites I've finally gone for the DPP carbon from www.desmoperformanceparts.com.
A nice guy to deal with who can offer all the parts I wanted...& some!!
Looking forward to "blinging" the Monster now :-)

Justin

pompone
29-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback Justin. As soon as the last little bit is finished off they'll be on your way to you.

justin796
31-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Excellent! Looking forward to fitting them on the bike!

Cheers,

Justin

Dirty
01-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Pomp your inbox is full :)

justin796
30-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Well the carbon bits for my Monster arrived from DPP;http://www.desmoperformanceparts.com/
The carbon fibre is first class quality in matte finish, without a blemish in sight which is common with carbon fibre. Honestly if you are thinking of blinging your cherished Ducati with carbon fibre then I can highly recommend DPP stuff! With a choice of matte or gloss finish. I'm already weighing up what to bling next!!
I'll post a pic of the rest fitted on the bike when I get chance.

Justin

wezrvf
30-11-2013, 11:17 PM
They are a lot of money, but do look great.

Pomp - is there a forum discount or maybe an option if we get a bit of a group buy going, it's going to be a Carbon Christmas :)

I am putting off getting any for mine because like you I want to get a few bits from the same place so they all match. Love the idea of the Matte Finnish.

Can't wait to see some pics !!;)

Matt
01-12-2013, 06:40 AM
Try Conquest Carbon - they helped out for the Weekender. Might be some discount if you ask nicely...

Indeed, Steve is a great guy and the stuff is top notch

pompone
01-12-2013, 07:15 AM
They are a lot of money, but do look great.

Pomp - is there a forum discount or maybe an option if we get a bit of a group buy going, it's going to be a Carbon Christmas :)

I am putting off getting any for mine because like you I want to get a few bits from the same place so they all match. Love the idea of the Matte Finnish.

Can't wait to see some pics !!;)

I always offer discount to forum members :thumbsup:
As Justin can confirm the finish is the same for all bits and what I have up on the website is possibly a tenth of what I have available.
The reason for the part being (relatively) expensive is because all of them are 100% carbon autoclave vacuum formed, water jet cut. None of this wet laid, fiberglass sandwiched stuff you get on ebay at the moment..

justin796
02-12-2013, 08:27 PM
I can confirm the finish of all items matches perfectly. The weave is spot on without any distortion whatsoever. I was really unsure at first whether to go for matte or gloss but I can honestly say the matte looks brilliant! Everyone seems to do mostly gloss these days so it's nice to be different.
Regarding the price, you get what you pay for in my opinion. I'd sooner pay more & get it spot on first time.
Finally, DPP where the only company that made all the parts (plus loads more) that I wanted with the added bonus that I can buy more stuff & be sure it matches perfectly.
Get your Christmas present now :yoparty:

Justin

justin796
02-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Just an example of the silencer heat shield. The camera flash is a bit misleading, giving it a gloss impression.

wezrvf
06-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Anymore pictures :)

justin796
08-12-2013, 07:50 PM
I was going to put some pics up when on the bike but I just haven't had time to fit them yet. As soon as I have I will post some up :-)

Justin

solomoto
10-12-2013, 02:26 PM

+1 for CC although I did find a place in the US that does a great looking flat finish front mudguard. Thing is I'd get nothing to match it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Monster-696-796-1100-Carbon-Fiber-Front-Fender-Mudguard-Matte-Finish-/111190671925?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e37b0235&vxp=mtr