PDA

View Full Version : Lowering 620

MuddyBird
05-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Hi, I am a new rider and the proud owner of a 620 Capirossi special (2004)
I have the rear adjusted as low as it will go but could still do with it a bit lower while I gain confidence (balls of feet rather than tips of toes)!!
I have searched the forum but cannot find much info.
Anyone have any tips/ideas to help?:)
Thanks,
Sarah.

chris.p
05-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Make sure you both ends of the bike together, so as to keep the bike handling well.

You can take it to a good suspension expert and get the bike re spung to suit your wheight, and ask them to lower the bike at the same time.

Just lowering the bike at the back end can cause the bike to run wide on corners.

Chris.

utopia
05-10-2013, 04:19 PM
I haven't tried this myself, but I think there may be a very simple and very cheap way of lowering the rear by a small, but possibly useful amount.
The locknuts which lock the suspension hoop rose joints in place are std thickness nuts.
If you replace these with normal, ie thinner locknuts, you may be able to screw the rose joints a little further into the hoop, thus shortening it.
It probably won't make a huge difference to the rear height, but it could be useful. Also, it costs virtually nothing and would be pretty simple to do.
Like I said, I haven't tried it myself and so I can't be totally certain that it would cause no secondary issues with the geometry of the rear suspension, but I very much doubt that it would.
Then again, I suggested it to Hellcat a while back but, on inspection, it looked like one of her bikes, which has been professionally lowered, already had the thinner nuts fitted, so maybe its a recognised technique.
Worth a try, I reckon. I would do it myself, except I'm the lanky type so have no need for lowering.

pte1643
05-10-2013, 04:32 PM
As Chris said, ideally you need to drop the forks as well.

Just lowering the rear can upset the handling.

I had my Fireblade lowered professionally (Rebuilt Shock and forks) and set up for my weight/riding style.

The guy I used really knows his stuff, unfortunately, for you, he's in Suffolk.

For those in the area... M.C.Technics... Ask for Darren... http://www.mctsuspension.co.uk/Home.html

chris.p
05-10-2013, 04:40 PM
I haven't tried this myself, but I think there may be a very simple and very cheap way of lowering the rear by a small, but possibly useful amount.
The locknuts which lock the suspension hoop rose joints in place are std thickness nuts.
If you replace these with normal, ie thinner locknuts, you may be able to screw the rose joints a little further into the hoop, thus shortening it.
It probably won't make a huge difference to the rear height, but it could be useful. Also, it costs virtually nothing and would be pretty simple to do.

Might be wrong, but I believe the 620 has a non adjustable ride height adjuster, not the hoop as on a 600 monster???

You can fit the ride height adjuster from a 748/916/996/998 and it is adjustable as well :-)

Chris.

utopia
05-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Actually, I think you're right, Chris.

As you were then.

MuddyBird
05-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks so far!!!
The forks are adjusted to match the rear.
Will have a look at the locknuts....
Considering a new seat but cannot find one in the UK, only US.
620 is adjustable, have done it (manual says so too)

Mohawk
05-10-2013, 07:11 PM
I had my 620 lowered at MCT Suspension. I have a lowered seat I can sell you if you were wanting one.

Nwsparky
05-10-2013, 08:15 PM
There's a good seat sculpture in Bradford I had recommended to me. Drops things an inch apparently and makes a nice job I can find the number if you like?