PDA

View Full Version : taking the p***

don_matese
04-10-2013, 08:02 PM
So... After a long time of suspecting It I've confirmed that people on my street allow their dogs to relieve themselves on my bike cover. I know its only an m600 from 1995 but its just not on.

Is there any way to stop the canines peeing on my bike? I dont really like the thought of handling a pee soaked bike cover and leaving it in the house when I use the bike...

Mr Gazza
04-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Assuming you are not a very good shot with a rifle....

....You could always try sprinkling your cover with a generous dose of pepper.
The dogs always have a good sniff before the leg goes up, and they are usually too busy sneezing to empty their bladder.

My Dad always used to do it at the end of our garden wall, which was a favorite place for the dogs....It works....
he used to use Cayene Pepper, but he called it Canine pepper...bit muddled up I think:fou:

Dirty
04-10-2013, 08:21 PM
That is bang out of order! I'd do my nut!

But remember it's the owners who deserve your ire, the dogs are not at fault. Can you not have a 'word' with the owners?

As Gaza says pepper is a good traditional method, cayenne pepper and standard white or black pepper. Vinegar is another one. There are also lots of commercial products available, I have no idea how effective they are. I've always wanted one of those motion activated water spray devices but to be honest I haven't got a garden worth protecting yet. There are also ultra sonic devices that are apparently quite effective.

Nickj
04-10-2013, 08:35 PM
If you get a bit of charge on the frame (make sure the stand is insulted) then you can get a good short or at least a goodly tingle at the dog end.
It does tend to deter after only one or two surprises.

Not that I would condone such a thing being a dog lover but it did protect my LCs bare polished alloy wheels....

"Must have been some kind of electrical fault I guess, anyway thanks for letting me know about it, shame your dog was the one to find it"

JuZ
04-10-2013, 08:54 PM
The problem lies with the owners the dogs are just doing what dogs do, I think I'd have a word with the owners or use some kind of doggy deterrent.

northantsrich
04-10-2013, 10:11 PM
rev your bike up on a Sunday at 5am outside their house!!!

He11cat
04-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Detergent the cover with liquid detergent as well because they will keep marking the same spot.
Are you sure it's dogs ?
I have a cat next door that craps all over path and pees up my bike cover it has now rotted my new ish cover and its now torn.
I spent £40 last month on deterrent pepper , various off the shelf stuff ..
2 sonic devices.
I've tried everything and it still craps all over the concrete the final straw was the other day it clawring the cover .
I couldn't even chuck anything at it as it would have hit the bike !
I've tried supersoakers and every humane thing I can .
Last straw was slipping on cat crap the other night.
I love animals but hate that cat.
It's got no cat flap :( so sits in my garden til owners decides to let it in.
She doesn't want a cat litter tray as its disgusting?
It's not dogs fault but the owner.
Infact anyone who has a pet needs to clean up after it.
There should be no difference between a cat crapping in your garden or property then a dog .
Citronella is another thing animals hate.
Invest in some oil !
Film them if you can .. It's an offence.
Its your vehicle !

Dirty
04-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Ah cats are different, can't blame the owners, bloody things! But then if it's a cat the solution is easy, get a bloody big dog! :)

And your inbox is full Hellcat!

Mr Gazza
05-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Hey up He11cat...I don't think that pepper works with cats.

I haven't tried it, but they say that Lion sh#t is a very good cat deterrent.

I am told that this product is available from Zoos, such as Colchester Zoo.

Best to place product in a position where you are least likely to step in it.

Dirty
06-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Hey up He11cat...I don't think that pepper works with cats.

I haven't tried it, but they say that Lion sh#t is a very good cat deterrent.

I am told that this product is available from Zoos, such as Colchester Zoo.

Best to place product in a position where you are least likely to step in it.

The lion sh#t theory is bullsh#t according to my mum. She is a keen gardener and bought a load and swears it actually increased cat activity. Or perhaps the cats in south east London are particularly tough! :chuckle:

Mr Gazza
06-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Ah well bang goes the theory..:chuckle:

Are you sure that the stuff she bought came out of a Lion and not a Bull?

If the cats round East London are tough I don't think the poo technique would work round here..

...We took a plaster cast of a cat footprint last year, about 50 yds from our house.

It was one of a trail of about a dozen prints, some going through some very soft mud, with it's paws sinking in right up to it's ankles..

The one we cast was a nice firm one...About 4 inches across.

Coo, I won't half be cross if it wee's on my Monster..:mad:

Dirty
06-10-2013, 08:51 PM
To be fair I did put the theory that the garden centre or wherever sold her a load of old sh#t disguised as lion sh#t. I mean who would know the difference and complain?

Martin Duke
06-10-2013, 09:34 PM
The lion sh#t theory is bullsh#t according to my mum. She is a keen gardener and bought a load and swears it actually increased cat activity. Or perhaps the cats in south east London are particularly tough! :chuckle:

Maybe the moggies in Sarf London are a different breed - but when I lived in Islington our small vegetable patch was being visited by the local cats until a friend who worked at Regents Park Zoo got us some lion **** to spread about. They buggered off quickly, sensing another predator much higher up the pecking order!
Handy gardening tip - elephant poo made the spinach grow like wildfire.

Dirty
06-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Maybe the moggies in Sarf London are a different breed - but when I lived in Islington our small vegetable patch was being visited by the local cats until a friend who worked at Regents Park Zoo got us some lion **** to spread about. They buggered off quickly, sensing another predator much higher up the pecking order!
Handy gardening tip - elephant poo made the spinach grow like wildfire.

Haha, will tell my mum about the spinach!

Yes, I'd heard it worked, as had my mum. She is of course now adamant that it's a fairy story but I think the **** she bought was just **** ****. Obviously knowing the correct provenance of your **** is desirable.

wendy lea
06-10-2013, 09:51 PM
jeyes fluid in a jam jar lid or something similar works, as cats don't like the smell of it

Kato
07-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Quite simple realy when you see someone letting their dog P*** on you bike walk outside and P*** on their leg.....bet they don't let the dog do it again

Char
07-10-2013, 12:01 PM
I have used toilet cleaner along where our neighbours cats do their business and that worked - however if your still stuck for ideas I guess this would work for dogs and their owners,,,

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uIbkLjjlMV8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Darren69
07-10-2013, 12:56 PM
There's a commercially available product that uses an IR sensor and omits a very loud noise at a frequency that we can't hear but they can't stand it and that scrares them away. My dad uses one on his veggie garden and the cats don't go near it anymore. I'll try and find out what they are called but you can probably get one from your local garden centre.

Darren69
07-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Here you go, something like this:-

http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/10777804/reviews.htm

He11cat
07-10-2013, 01:28 PM
I have two sonic devices ( I can hear them!! as I am an old bat) they work for a while then the cats ignore them!
I have tried myself this year every chemical .. cat f off product I can find and still they crap everywhere.
Seriously thinking about an Uzi or flame thrower sick of the dam things.

utopia
07-10-2013, 01:51 PM
The worst thing about cats in your garden is when you're doing a bit of hand weeding and end up with their unspeakable foulsomeness under your fingernails.
Even worse if you've cultivated nice long fingernails for that extra acoustic guitar brightness.

If memory serves, there was an Ogri cartoon on this very subject in bike magazine many years ago.
I believe he electrified the bike, and caught out just about every living thing in the street, including the neighbour.
Is that where you got the idea, Nick ?

Dirty
07-10-2013, 02:41 PM
I have used toilet cleaner along where our neighbours cats do their business and that worked - however if your still stuck for ideas I guess this would work for dogs and their owners,,,

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uIbkLjjlMV8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ha ha brilliant!

Nickj
07-10-2013, 02:48 PM
If memory serves, there was an Ogri cartoon on this very subject in bike magazine many years ago.
I believe he electrified the bike, and caught out just about every living thing in the street, including the neighbour.
Is that where you got the idea, Nick ?

I couldn't ever get the bright sparks ogri did just a jolt a bit less fierce than a cattle fence. Aversion therapy for poodles, one hit and they wary and after hit 2 they were wanting to walk on the other side of the road.
Bloody rims still were a sod to keep bright but nowhere near as bad