PDA

View Full Version : Any French guys or people with experience of speeding i france ?

NattyBoy
02-10-2013, 02:08 PM
ould appreciate any input on my situation.

Basically, I had a letter posted this morning - in French - that would seem to indicate I was (motorway) speeding in a rental car in November 2012 and has a nice round number of €140 on it (wouldnt mind but I was driving like a girl because I had a colleague in the car! Cant have been over very much).

So - file it, or is this a bad idea in peoples experience ? I travel to France on business a couple of times a year. The letter was not signed for.

Thanks in advance.

Nat

Black Bob
02-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Shredder.

(and because that wasn't long enough... shredder, shredder, shredder.....)

SunEye
02-10-2013, 02:41 PM
There is no proof that you ever received the letter (except this thread).

IMHO because you were speeding in a hire car the chances are that if you are ever stopped in France in the future your details are unlikely to flag up an unpaid fine.

LVC
02-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Oui, dans la poubelle - or in English : "Bin it" :mand:

Akita Boy
02-10-2013, 03:20 PM
What Black Bob said

Darren69
02-10-2013, 03:21 PM
I suppose the worst they could do is send you another letter recorded delivery. A friend of mine from the US got a speeding fine in a hire care over here and they sent a letter through the post from the UK, I don't think he ever paid it :)

Fatal
02-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Nov 2012, seems a hell of a delay in notifying you, think I would also ignore

Alan H

nambduke
03-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Suspect if you don't pay, the rental car company will get the bill and they will then bill your credit card with an even bigger admin charge or bill your company direct - depends how you deal with rental compnaies - Mine are directly billed. Different if its your car.....it doesnt count then!! ;-)

Best regards
Mark

pte1643
03-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Citizens Advice Bureau?

Dirty
03-10-2013, 11:34 AM
I'd guess it was the rental company who gave them your details? Unless it was a letter from the rental company. If that is the case then it seems the authorities are chasing you direct which could mean they have skipped the rental company who won't now be bothered.

1 year on does seem a bit excessive. Here they need to inform you, or make reasonable effort to, within 2 weeks.

If it was me I'd ignore it. This is in no way to be taken as legal advice :)

Gilps
03-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Pay it tight arse, you know you can afford it :D

I thought that it used to be that if you were nicked in France that they couldn't do anything about it, but I also seem to remember that the law had changed and that they could pursue you for it, and have points applied to your license too.

LVC
03-10-2013, 03:12 PM
No law change yet regarding the points Gilps - but may well happen in the near future. France has just started issuing the "new format" licenses (credit card style) to fall in line with more European directives so eventually they'll be euro-linked so we get euro-shafted for stuff like this but not yet.

SunEye
03-10-2013, 03:34 PM
No law change yet regarding the points Gilps - but may well happen in the near future. France has just started issuing the "new format" licenses (credit card style) to fall in line with more European directives so eventually they'll be euro-linked so we get euro-shafted for stuff like this but not yet.
They would have to harmonise the number of points given for offences for this to happen. As I understand it the number of points awarded for the same offence is different in different EU countries. That might take a bit of time for the members of the EU to agree on.

LVC
03-10-2013, 04:54 PM
The longer it takes the happier a lot of people will be :mand:

BeePee
03-10-2013, 09:26 PM
I shall say zees onlee wunce, Oui, dans la poubelle :D

BeePee
03-10-2013, 09:32 PM
I went whizzing into Bulgaria at Mach3 in a sprinter van, this cop must've been playing table tennis cause he started waving this wee bat at me, anyway got pulled in and a wee bit of haggling, some dodgy sign language and the "bill" was halfed (in cash mind).
He had a load of driving licenses on his desk in the cop shop, "Dutch, French, German, Spanish, Anglichanny......Scotland, nay I like Scotland, you go now" Total of 50leva (about £24) :D