PDA

View Full Version : Engine Paint

leslie_dash
28-09-2013, 10:31 AM
I know this has been covered a fair bit, but couldn't find a definitive answer by searching. Need to do a bit touching up on the RS, radiator and engine, what's everybody's experiences? Simoniz or Autoglym wheel silver seem to crop up in some threads, what's people thoughts?

Nickj
28-09-2013, 12:14 PM
I repainted one of the casings using paint from RS bike paint (http://www.rsbikepaint.com), they do a good range of colours that match the originals. If they don't have a colour you've listed they'll match a batch to a sample.
The paint I put on has lasted really well which is mostly down to good prep. Strip, surface key and a good etch primer.

If it's just a patch then get some matched paint and usually satin lacquer, get down to bare alloy on the flaked/ damaged area then etch primer light cut back over the surroundng area. More primer and cut back to get the 'hole' levelled out then the top colour coat. if you have a nice wide margin the lacquer coat will hide the repaired area. If the whole casing's a bit tierd then you'll have an area that looks 'newer'. Simple way to avoid this is a gentle cut back over the whole case or as much as you can easily get at in situ and lacquer more area.

fireman sam
28-09-2013, 12:42 PM
It covers realy well and lasts and the finish is excellent