PDA

View Full Version : Which oil - I am confused!

simontt
25-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Discovered a oil leak and need to top up now until it get fixed by the dealer next week.

Called up Inmoto and they insisted on only the Shell Advance Ultra 4t 15W-50 fully synthetic, any other oil will invalidate the warranty.

Called West London Ducati and they do not stock Shell and recommend Petrona 10w-40 semi synthetic, saying that it is also acceptable and would not invalidate warranty.

Tried the Shell petrol station and they the best oil they stock is the Advance Ultra 4t 10w-40 semi-synthetic.

Which one of the 3 can I use without invalidating the warranty?

The oil level is at minimum so I want to top up now....

Dirty
25-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Try your local halfords and use one of the dealer recommended oils.

cactus
25-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Ducati recommend using Shell ultra advance in the Monster hand book, you should be able to order this online or over the phone with next day delivery if you can't get it locally. Always have enough left over for topping up, thinking and planning ahead is the key.

bluestoesonnose
25-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Shell Advance Ultra 4t 15W-50 fully synthetic, no brainer really as you'll have the bill of sale to prove purchase if it all goes belly up.

I think Opie Oils will get it to you next day.

Nickj
25-09-2013, 10:13 PM
If you use another oil that meets or exceeds the same API specifications I think that you'll find that you can wave a few fingers at the must use shell quote.
Most manufacturers do this kind of thing and 'recommend' a branded product that is usually their own or a subsidiary companies product which is a premium priced product or one they have a commercial deal with like an advertising or sponsorship relationship.
When you push them they'll have real problems actually finding a document with it written in black and white that you expressly can't use other oil, it will usually read recommended.

In the US this would be called a tie in sales provision and isn't allowed

In europe this comes under similar tie in sales provisions and the same legislation that was used to hammer microsoft could be used. Pretty much means that not only as a consumer you can wave the fingers but the european courts will kick the legs out from under them and then demand money for the privilege.

As long as the oil meets or exceeds the same specifications it is not going to void anything, just make a minor dent in shells profit margins

Dirty
25-09-2013, 10:23 PM

In the US this would be called a tie in sales provision and isn't allowed

In europe this comes under similar tie in sales provisions and the same legislation that was used to hammer microsoft could be used. Pretty much means that not only as a consumer you can wave the fingers but the european courts will kick the legs out from under them and then demand money for the privilege.

Are those the same rules that allow you to get the bike serviced outside the main dealer network?

wendy lea
25-09-2013, 10:33 PM
I went to my local Ducati dealer after some Shell oil, to be told they don't stock it, Shell make it impossible for them to order it in in reasonable quantities. They don't use Shell on any bike they have go through their workshop, so I really don't see how using a different oil can invalidate a warranty when main dealers won't use it. Before I went to them tried to buy it of the web, but thought 50 litres ( minimum order if I remember correctly ) was a tad too much for my needs. In the morning I'll venture up to the man cave to see which oil they recommended.

DrD
25-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Opie Oils: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-338-motorcycles.aspx

simontt
26-09-2013, 01:38 PM
As long as the oil meets or exceeds the same specifications it is not going to void anything, just make a minor dent in shells profit margins

I tried to identify the specification of the oil from the owner manual but it simply stated Shell advance 4t Ultra, without the technical specification such as SAE J 300 or API SL or JASO MA2 etc.

Does anyone knows oil specification for the 1100 evo?

SunEye
26-09-2013, 01:57 PM
I think that this should have all the info you need

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_Kingdom_Shell_Advance_4T_U ltra_15W-50_(SM_MA2)_(en-GB)_TDS.pdf