PDA

View Full Version : Advice on replacement mirrors

hog
15-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Frankly, I loathe the Monster mirrors - they look nasty compared to the creaminess of the rest of the bike!

Does anyone have any suggestions for replacements which you can still see the road behind you in?

Cheers

Howard

tony_unn
15-01-2004, 11:44 AM
I have the "Matte Black" mirrors and improve the look of the bike, they also give more of a view behind because they are tear shaped.

Julie
15-01-2004, 01:17 PM
i have those tear drop mirrors. they are fantastic and i think 'overripe and keen' is selling a set cheaply.

spacemonkey
15-01-2004, 07:56 PM
How about dangling a couple of mirror balls off the bar ends? This should give an excellent all round view and give you that retro school disco effect when cars come up behind at night!

Mr Cake
15-01-2004, 07:58 PM
I just took them off. There are some tasty ones if you search on www.ducati.co.uk I think.

Dave

slowerthanmymum
15-01-2004, 11:48 PM
I've replaced my mirrors with Zefal cycle jobbies.
They have an expanding bolt and have fitted the standard bars and the drops I now have.
They give a good clear view of the road and vibration is minimal, the best bit is they only cost around a fiver.

robht
03-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Agreed, the std mirrors look naff.

I tried some of the DP ones and couldn't see much in town when cars are all around . OK on the open road though.

I have just fitted a pair of Multistrada mirrors - better looking, good view and the indicators are integrated into the mirror s I like the look - but we're all different.

Cheers,
Rob

Melnie Mouse
03-02-2004, 01:59 PM
hi, Motrax new for this year doin some cool lookin mirrors which hang off bar ends, but you can still use bar ends, even cooler if you get different ones of those too! (look in catalogue, available in all good bike shops :)) They do the pattern multi strada mirrors too, looks same but cheaper than Ducati original's at 49.99 the bar end ones from Motrax are 29.99 clear or black ones are available....

robht
03-02-2004, 02:41 PM
..I bought the Ducati mirrors - didn't know Motrax did similar - bugger.

grunter
03-02-2004, 02:53 PM
road race from stuart @ spareshack
but iv,e had different type,s they are never that good?

Melnie Mouse
03-02-2004, 03:21 PM
to Robht, you can always take them back, even if you only get credit note, buy them again same shop then got change haven't you? spend it on something else exciting!!!! :)

robht
03-02-2004, 03:41 PM
Good idea Melnie Mouse, but I had to shorten the wires and solder new connectors on the ends.

The mirrors do seem good quality though - the shop told me they were a replacement version for the original multistrada mirrors which rattled!

I'm off to Alli Palli on Sat - so Im sure I'll find exciting things to spend money on regardless...

gary tompkins
03-02-2004, 09:21 PM
I fitted a set of Alloy DPM mirrors (Spareshack) last year. Rear view still not perfect, but IMO better than the micky mouse ones and they look 100% better.

graeme s
20-02-2004, 04:24 PM
What do the orginal Monster mirrors look like? I've broken one and need a replacement, but not sure that I've got standard mirrors (they haven't got Ducati stamped anywhere on them for a start). Mine are black teardrop-shaped ones, about 4" across on a kinked 4" stem.

CK & AK
20-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Rob, do put up a pic of your mirrors on here - I think they look great:) :cool:

Graeme - the original ones look like 'mickey mouse ears' as some so kindly put it!:D (I still have them on mine at the moment) your dont sound like standard ones.....

robht
20-02-2004, 05:48 PM
O.K. I'll try and sort out a picture of my M1000 with Multistrada mirriors - it may take me a couple of days as I only have 'film' cameras - I have a scanner though...

Watch this space.

Rob

PS. Did i say I was really please with said mirrors?

robht
21-02-2004, 07:33 PM
The multistrada mirrors were abot 48 quid each - not cheap but reasonable for official parts - specially compared to the Japanese...

robht
21-02-2004, 07:35 PM
cheers,
Rob

Albie
21-02-2004, 10:06 PM
They actually dont look that bad . Not sure if thats the look that i want but they do away with indicators and are very tidy and trick. Nice one

gary tompkins
22-02-2004, 11:07 AM
The combined mirrors/indicators is a clever idea, but i don't like the look of them on the mutistrada and like them even less on a monster.

BTW I've heard there have been a lot of complaints and warrentee issues relating to mirrors with multistrada owners. Something to do with vibration causing parts of the mirror work loose and fall apart - so keep an eye on yours ;)

robht
29-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by gary tompkins

BTW I've heard there have been a lot of complaints and warrentee issues relating to mirrors with multistrada owners. Something to do with vibration causing parts of the mirror work loose and fall apart - so keep an eye on yours ;)

Correct!
The ones I got were a revised part - different part no etc. to cure the problems. So far they are OK...

Melnie Mouse
29-02-2004, 01:14 PM
the warrantly work on mirrors by way, is cos most people try move the whole apperture like on the monster when infact you are only supposed to move 'inner' glass in said mirror... (like cars) that seems to be the problem....

A Yerbury
29-02-2004, 01:52 PM
good old m and p do some sexy ones

farl
08-10-2005, 12:55 PM
I'm thinking of a mirror change. Rob you feel like re-posting the pics of your monster with multistada mirrors?

geecy1
08-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Just thought i'd mention that i changed my mirrors on my Multistrada for S4R ones as the vision from originals was poor. I have tried nice looking billet ones on my S2R but went back to standard ones,i know they look crap but its one of the only bikes i have had that i can get good rear view.

BOHEMION
10-10-2005, 01:07 AM
I have the carbon ones of the F3 mirrors, I know this is a aussie site but to just give you an idea.
http://www.austreetfighter.com.au/scart/html/126.html

Jasper
10-10-2005, 10:53 AM
I've just taken mine off and the bike looks much better but it's a bit of a nightmare to get used to. M&P's do some nice ones at Fox's Diner, i believe i've seen you up there a couple of times. Do you have Termi's or similar on the bike?

DesmoDog
10-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Aha! Mirror adaptors - Had to look at the aussie site then find M&P (god bless Google) before ordering some adaptors for my tear drop mirrors. Finally, my bike nears completion - just as the season ends. Bah!

eonan
10-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Ah ha...I was just about to post a question and luckily found that there's already a thread running on replacing mirrors :D

Yes, the Mickey ears have to go. I was looking at a load of photos of Monsters recently, from all around the world. The ones that seemed to look the most aesthetically pleasing were the ones with no mirrors at all actually, but from a more practical stance I liked the ones with mini bar end mirrors.

What do folks think? Any of you guys use them? Any recommendations for makes, supplier etc?

Cheers

A Yerbury
10-10-2005, 09:22 PM
the bar end ones look a bit silly ,unless pointing in? then they get in the way. I carved one up like this (I was in France hence the left) I now have similar but smalller and on the right, the idea being you look through the gap twixst (sp?) body and elbow (will not work if you are a fat person) ((unlike me)) they were a carve up jobby so no direct sale point. JMO has similar although hers are also "bespoke" I believe. there are some sexy mountain bike ones out there, in billet none of your halfords plastic but I have yet to find them.

AxelY.

ps.ignore the yellow circle that was for something else.

eonan
10-10-2005, 09:48 PM
I kinda like the ones in photo 26...maybe not so much the square shape, more the positioning - http://www.ducaticlub.be/M6_Foto/Ducati_Monster.htm

Yes? No? Maybe?

A Yerbury
10-10-2005, 10:20 PM
perhaps if they were turned in, also they look interesting from the front with the bike behind but from the back is something else...have a look a ducatisuite.com to see his mirrors. not my idea of earl grey...

eonan
10-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Yeh I see what you mean, it's taken from one of those angles where a set of milk bottles would have looked classy!

Had a look at the ducatisuite web site [what a great site by the way] and I really like how he's done his 750.

These bar end mirrors are not too expensive so I think I'll give them a go, take a photo, post it, sit back, light up my pipe and admire my handy work...and await the wrath of abuse to follow :D

eonan
11-10-2005, 07:42 PM
I was having another look at that photo, and it's not so much the mirrors I like, but the turned down 'cafe racer' look handle bars.

DesmoDog
12-10-2005, 01:01 PM
the bar end ones look a bit silly ,unless pointing in? then they get in the way. I carved one up like this (I was in France hence the left) I now have similar but smalller and on the right, the idea being you look through the gap twixst (sp?) body and elbow (will not work if you are a fat person) ((unlike me)) they were a carve up jobby so no direct sale point. JMO has similar although hers are also "bespoke" I believe. there are some sexy mountain bike ones out there, in billet none of your halfords plastic but I have yet to find them.

AxelY.

ps.ignore the yellow circle that was for something else.

Sexy mountain bike ones are sold at Endinbourgh Cycle Collective (billet I believe). Was the yellow circle your halo from when you braked too hard.